Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Funny quirk.....problem or programmed this way?

When in Live View.......
I just noticed that after my shutter button is fully depressed and released one of two things happen.
When I fully depress the shutter button and release it quickly.... I get an immediate Review and can enlarge it for inspection.
However if I release it jusy a bit slowly/slower after depressing it fully.... I dont always get the immediate review and it may immediately goes into live view for the next shot.
I checked my setting and its set for Immediate review , 5 seconds , and magnification at 100%.
Is this the way its supposed to be ? I cant find anything in the manual on this ?
I want it to go into review , regardless of how slowly I may or may not... let up on the shutter button after depressing it and taking a image.
Anyone else notice this ?
Does it have anything to do with the orange light to the right of my rear 4 way toggle ? I think it may , as it seems to go directly back to live view if the orange light is on , but just about ready to go off.
Im getting some inconsistent results with what I selected in menu.
I would like to say that Im sure its set properly in menu (unless Im missing something)..... But I think its a feature not mentioned in the manual and not sure of exactly why its doing it ??
**I just noticed when It doesnt go into review for whatever reason (Im not sure how to describe this) a very split second glimpse of a hourglass like symbol that may or may not have a bit of yellow in it...like some time signal or something ? I mean its a split second so fast you almost dont see it before it goes back to live view instead of image review.
Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-13-2014 at 10:07 AM.
12-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The simple solution is to disable auto image review (aka 'auto-chimp') entirely.

Then manually review your shots as needed by just pressing the 'play' button.
12-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The simple solution is to disable auto image review (aka 'auto-chimp') entirely.

This is a solution for a number of issues. Your camera will be faster and probably use less battery power with the auto review turned off.
12-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you touch the shutter button during auto review it goes away. Most likely you are still touching it when the auto review starts and therefore it gets cancelled.

Try varying the speed at which you release the shutter button to test this.

12-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you touch the shutter button during auto review it goes away. Most likely you are still touching it when the auto review starts and therefore it gets cancelled.

Im thinking the slight longer/slower release may be triggering LV to cancell as im letting off it ? When it doesnt go to review...there is a split second view of an hourglass symbol before it goes back to LV instaed of review ?
I noticed it when i was taking some sets and when I needed the review it wasnt there evry time. Its not really a big deal , but could be frustrating if and when needed its not there as I selected. I am noticing a split second image of a Hourglass symbol flash for a split second before it goes back to LV.

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 10:43 AM ----------

I am....an immediate relese it (almost every time) goes to review .
I want to make it clear...were only talking very minor diffrences in release times here....not like Im sitting with my finger on it for second or anything.I am noticing a split second display of an hourglass symbol before it goes back to LV instead of review ?

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 10:48 AM ----------

Im thinking this may be it....but I dont really like it as sometimes im intently focusing on focus and image....dont want to even be thinking of how long im holding or releasing my shutter......my review should be there. I just noticed there is a very brief display for just a split second of an hourglass symbol before it goes into LV rather than review as I want.

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 11:10 AM ----------

AUTO CHIMP.......? Thats a new term for me.....ROFLOL

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-13-2014 at 10:06 AM.
12-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
I am....an immediate relese it (almost every time) goes to review . I want to make it clear...were only talking very minor diffrences in release times here....not like Im sitting with my finger on it for second or anything.I am noticing a split second display of an hourglass symbol before it goes back to LV instead of review ?
Yep, You are just holding the shutter button too long. If you learn to do it right you can 'ride' the shutter button to take multiple snaps, it is quite sensitive and if it notices that it is being depressed it will signal the auto review to cancel. That is what you are seeing with the hourglass, it is starting to render and display the review then gets canceled because it notices you are still touching the shutter button.

Try this trick: Instead of placing the pad of your index finger on the shutter button place it past on the left so the groove of your first knuckle is actually on the shutter button. Your finger tip rests solidly on the camera body, NOT the button. There is a natural curve that just fits the raised shutter button. To take a picture just squeeze your finger straight and then relax. This gives you a very steady release and avoids the jerking of pressing straight down on the shutter button which can move the camera enough to soften your images. It should also fix your review issue.
12-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, You are just holding the shutter button too long. If you learn to do it right you can 'ride' the shutter button to take multiple snaps, it is quite sensitive and if it notices that it is being depressed it will signal the auto review to cancel. That is what you are seeing with the hourglass, it is starting to render and display the review then gets canceled because it notices you are still touching the shutter button.
I notice if I release immediately it it works every time. However even a tiny lag in release then becomes very inconsistent ( Maybe LV will come up.. or maybe review will... and maybe it wont)
Its funny...never had a problem with K30 nor the K5ii ? Just this one.
I just comapred it side by side to my K30 which I have no problem like this ???
Is it just finicky ?
I can deal with it , but when I want review to be there it should be. Probably as I get used to the camera it will become a non-issue and I wont be using it as much
Just wish it wasnt so overly sensitive and wanted to be sure and rule out a problem with it being inconsistent (with Mine) on this single issue.

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 12:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Thanks...but there are times when I want it on , and the immediate review saves a couple extra steps. Being a new camera to me I do use it more than I probably will after I get used to everything.

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 12:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This is a solution for a number of issues. Your camera will be faster and probably use less battery power with the auto review turned off.
Yes , but I want it on at times.. Im one of those slow methodical shooters that doesnt need speed very often... if at all. But I do like saving steps too.
I like the Instant Review as shooting mainly old manual glass the focus peaking and Review with magnification really comes in very handy.
Its really not that big of a deal. As long as I know there ISNT something wrong , or something I missed.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-13-2014 at 11:17 AM.
12-13-2014, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
I can deal with it , but when I want review to be there it should be. Probably as I get used to the camera it will become a non-issue and I wont be using it as much Just wish it wasnt so overly sensitive and wanted to be sure and rule out a problem with it being inconsistent (with Mine) on this single issue.
I think you just need to get used to the camera, this is not the first post with a similar issue. But there is nothing wrong with the camera, just the shutter button is a little more sensitive than on other cameras.
12-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think you just need to get used to the camera, this is not the first post with a similar issue. But there is nothing wrong with the camera, just the shutter button is a little more sensitive than on other cameras.
OK.....I do like the shutter being softer/smoother and lower than on any camera I have had. Still wishing it didnt do this.....Thanks !
12-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not so sure if it is a matter of the shutter button being more sensitive or the fact that the camera is just a lot faster... Just look at the specs for the high-speed shooting you can do. We're talking many frames per second and a better buffer than we have ever had. The K3 is a pro-level camera, so it has added some features that make rapid fire easier. Part of that is making the shutter available as fast as possible.

It may only be a split second faster than the other cameras you've had, but that looks like it is just enough to see what you are seeing. I don't shoot in live view, so I haven't noticed the problem you are seeing, but I do notice the quick turn around as a few times I might shoot and if I don't let off fast enough I end up with a couple of unintended shots.

I also notice when shooting bracketed shots that the camera will take its five shots in the same amount of time my K5 would take one shot (at least it seems like it)

I think you'll get used to the quirks. It's those subtle things that make upgrading cameras a little less straight forward than we would expect.