Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

best solution for storing remote

I was pretty annoyed when i discovered that the grip for my k3 didn't have the little sleeve to store a remote like my k20 grip did.

so what's the best place to store it? has anyone come up with a good solution? i was thinking of attaching a little pouch to the strap or something. But maybe someone already has a nifty setup.

12-14-2014, 02:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
wow, that is annoying. I don't have the grip for my K3 but after hearing that I see there is little point in getting one. I do have the grip for the K10D and that remote storage niche was a fantastic feature.

I simply use one of the memory card pouches to store the remote in my camera bag. SD cards aren't all that big compared to CF so the remote can fit in snugly along with a memory card in its protective case.
12-14-2014, 02:32 AM   #3

Maybe you could use a strap where one of its end was glued/attached to a lens cap and other to the remote. Depending on the weight of the remote and how tightly the lens cap fitted, you could decide if it was appropriate.
12-14-2014, 03:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use self adhesive velcro and stick it on the inside of the strap. (Inside - better weather protection)

12-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
so what's the best place to store it? has anyone come up with a good solution? i was thinking of attaching a little pouch to the strap or something. But maybe someone already has a nifty setup.
The pouch on the strap is a good idea. I did that years ago with a setup at work, that was several years ago bit I think the pouch came from B&H. You might find a pouch that works in something other than camera supplies to. I've seen little pouches for knives and tools that would work.

My Black Rapid strap has it built in as I'm sure other do too. Also my Induro tripod case strap has it built in. But anymore I usually store them in my bags that the camera resides in, and then keep them in my pocket when using them
12-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MZ-S (I think) was issued with a strap that had an integrated pouch. I bought several on eBay way back when.

Of course those straps are on other cameras now, so I just put my remote in my camera bag. After all, I never use a remote without a tripod - and if I'm carrying a tripod I'm carrying a camera bag.
12-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I use a small retractable device for fly fishermen. Its a tiny reel that you can pin on anything. Fastened a strip of nametag through the eye , and a bit of velcro on the back
Now its retractable and never lost. I can hide it inside a jacket , shirt , or on the outside of my vest and if needed strip it off and use it quickly for a selfie or whatever. It self retracts and is never in the way and never ever lost again.

Also have a neck lanyard and photo ID tag that worked out well in the past.

I like my K3 grip.....never knew it was missing something ?

12-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found the same thing with my K5IIs battery grip, no place to store the remote.

No problem, I have a Lowepro Toploader bag that I keep the camera in for everyday carrying about. It has a couple of smaller storage pouches that are good for an extra filter or two, some spare memory cards, and of course the remote.

Easy Squeezy

No Pain

No Stain
12-14-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I came up with a decent solution. Found a small plastic case that originally held razor blades. Cut a couple of slits in it and threaded the strap through. The remote fits tight in the case so even if I lose the lid for the case I shouldn't lose the remote.

It'll do I suppose.
12-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I keep mine in an SD card pocket in one of several camera bags. But I am also looking for something to keep track of it outside the bag. It's so small and light I'm afraid I'm going to lose it. I do not like putting velcro on stuff.
12-16-2014, 06:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
I would have said "in the bag, like most do"

I used to have a Kata camera strap that had a pouch at each end, for storing memory cards. That would be a good place to store a remote, and I've seen pouches made specifically so they can be mounted on camera straps. eBay or maybe op/tech?