Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 05:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Battery life

I'm getting my K-3 on thursday, and I'm wondering if I need to get an extra battery right away. I know I'll get one (or two :P) eventually, since I tend to both shoot long exposures in cold conditions and go on extended trips with no means of charging, but given that i'm already spending more than twice my monthly rent on the thing, I'm kind of hoping to be able to put off getting more batteries for a little while. Thoughts?

12-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
I'm getting my K-3 on thursday, and I'm wondering if I need to get an extra battery right away. I know I'll get one (or two :P) eventually, since I tend to both shoot long exposures in cold conditions and go on extended trips with no means of charging, but given that i'm already spending more than twice my monthly rent on the thing, I'm kind of hoping to be able to put off getting more batteries for a little while. Thoughts?
That's entirely your choice, but you don't have to buy the OEM battery, there are lower cost third party batteries. Myself, I always have an extra charged battery on hand. Maybe not if I have a freshly charged battery and don't expect to take many photos.
12-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These batteries have worked well for me - seem reasonable - not sure if Amazon sells them in Norway
Amazon.com : Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Pentax D-LI90 and Pentax 645D, 645Z, K-01, K-3, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-7 : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo

Reviewed in the Forum - 4 reviews 3 positive with one bad review that knocks down the rating
Wasabi D-LI90 Replacement reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
12-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I just got my K-3 (upgrade from a K-5) and the battery really goes down fast. All those pixels I guess. Shooting RAW, I find I can take about 200 images before having to change it out. I do tend to recharge it before it gets completely discharged anyway. You are going to need an extra battery or two I think especially with the long exposures and the inability to always recharge.

12-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I can really recommend the Wasabi and the service from Blue Nook after a shipping problem was fantastic. These batteries work the same as the OEM ones, but the charger can work from your car as well Also muuuch cheaper than OEM
12-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recommend getting at least one genuine Pentax battery as a spare. I bring two charged spares for each camera.
I get about 600 shots on a battery if I shoot all the way through it without flash or live-view.
On tripod using Live-View and long exposures, maybe 250 shots.
12-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

One more vote for third party batteries. I got some from dx.com that work well. The problem with Amazon is that, if they will ship at all, they tend to charge quite a lot for shipping - which in turn will push the total sum above the limit for tax free import and thus trigger handling fees and add a 25 % VAT. OTOH, China post will often refuse to ship lithium batteries - if the seller marks them as such. Which they often don't. Oh, and shipping can take forever.

And yes, the K-3 does eat batteries faster then the K-5. Partly because I take more pictures with the K-3, I suspect - the speed of the thing makes me more trigger happy. Which means it eats memory cards as well!

12-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I couldn't find the k-3 batteries on dx, i looked when i was ordering lens caps last week. Getting the pentax ones (at least in norway) is a lot more money than i need or want to spend on a battery, I think i'll try to track some down when i'm in the US for new year.
12-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
Closed Account

ZoeB, are you upgrading from any of the K-5 models? If so, don't make the mistake that I almost made of selling my spare battery! The K-3 uses the same D-LI90 that my K-5 did.
12-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm upgrading from a K-m. It takes AAs. So I'm honestly not used to the whole camera battery shpeil at all, worst case, I'd pick up an extra set of batteries at the store if i ran out.
12-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, yes, the K-3 uses the same batteries as the K-5 and K-7: d-li90 - Free Shipping - DX

Also, if you get the battery grip for the K-3 it includes an adapter for using AA batteries (6 of them). Big and heavy, but at least you can use AAs.
12-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The Watson battery costs a bit more than the cheap generics, but nearly matches the quality of the Pentax battery. A dependable "middle ground" option at a reasonable price.
Watson D-Li90 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4V, 1800mAh) B-3704
12-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Also, if you get the battery grip for the K-3 it includes an adapter for using AA batteries (6 of them). Big and heavy, but at least you can use AAs.
This. And get a set of rechargeable AA's and a charger. Personally, I run two D-Li90's in my K-5 with grip. I rarely need to charge it. I will do the same when I get my K-3.
12-16-2014, 01:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
The Watson battery costs a bit more than the cheap generics, but nearly matches the quality of the Pentax battery. A dependable "middle ground" option at a reasonable price.
Watson D-Li90 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4V, 1800mAh) B-3704
I'm going to the US after christmas to visit my extended family and some friends-- we just placed an order at B&H. Ended up getting a watson battery, it's the only kind they sell.
12-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I've got a Watson battery I got from B&H when I got my K-3 last summer. It seems to work just as well as the Pentax battery that came with my K-3.