Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
problem w/ new lens

I have a new K-3 and recently purchased a used Sigma 24-70mm F2.8. My problem is when I attached it to the camera and set the aperture value to say F4.0 or any other value the camera lens aperture value flickers and reads F-- . The camera will take a picture but it is black.

Is there a problem with the lens.

12-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're setting the aperture by turning the aperture ring on the lens, you have to go into the camera menu and enable the "use aperture ring" setting. If the lens has the "A" setting on the aperture ring it is simplest to use that, then control aperture with the camera as usual.
12-16-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it this lens?
Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

As Baronite said, make sure the aperture ring is set to A so the camera can control it. Many of the older lenses can be used manually, which is nice. Sigma has a tiny lock nub, IIRC, which you'll need to depress to rotate the ring.
12-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Is it this lens?
Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

As Baronite said, make sure the aperture ring is set to A so the camera can control it. Many of the older lenses can be used manually, which is nice. Sigma has a tiny lock nub, IIRC, which you'll need to depress to rotate the ring.
Yes, that is the lens. I have depress the rotate ring . When I did this when first put on the lens, & the aperture did appear, but now it does not it flickers and shows F--.

12-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

You have to tell the camera to allow manual lenses.
It sounds like your aperture ring is not at the "A" mark, and the camera does not know what to do.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
12-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I think it is an AF lens without aperture ring, correct? could be faulty contacts...
12-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Or just dirty contacts, if there's no manual aperture ring. A dampened paper towel will clean it easily enough.
12-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
The lens does have an aperture ring, but now I do think the their is a problem with the contacts. Taking it back to Henry's to see what they can do.

12-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

-Camera Menu, in the back, you should Enable aperture ring if you haven't already.
-On the lens' aperture ring, there is an A setting. You probably have to push a button or lever to set it to A. This is the best setting, that lets you set the aperture on the camera body and allows Av, P, and all other modes.
-If the lens does not have A setting, make sure you are using M mode and a fixed ISO (not Auto ISO). You use green button to meter. All other modes will revert to Av mode, with continuous metering, but always shooting wide open. If there is no A setting, the camera cannot know what aperture is selected - but in some cases it can stop down the lens to meter and take photos with the aperture chosen on the aperture ring. With preset lenses, the aperture is completely divorced from camera and has to be moved by hand every time.
-Make sure the lens and camera contacts are clean and free of grime or particles
-Make sure the lens is properly mounted, it has to click into place. Sometimes its a right fit, especially with third party lenses.
12-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #10

As Ter-or mentioned...Try carefully cleaning your ring faces (contacts) between both your lens and camera.
Hope this works.

Last edited by Hogdriver; 12-16-2014 at 12:08 PM.
12-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
The lens does have an aperture Ring, I have moved the ring all the way over to the A position. The ring does click into place.I have enabled the aperture ring.
When I used it for the first time it did start to work. I was able to shot in landscape but when I tried for portraiture mode it would blink and change the aperture to F-- and not work.
12-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by murviper Quote
The lens does have an aperture Ring, I have moved the ring all the way over to the A position. The ring does click into place.I have enabled the aperture ring.
When I used it for the first time it did start to work. I was able to shot in landscape but when I tried for portraiture mode it would blink and change the aperture to F-- and not work.
Try playing with the aperture ring while set in the "A" position. While locked in the "A" position there might still be a tiny amount of play causing it to go to F--- if the camera is moved. I had exact the same problem with a Tamron 28-75 2.8 but couldn't find any solutions on the Internet. I ended up using a lens band (or any rubber type band) to keep the "A" setting firmly in place and it worked like a charm. Before that, any slight movement, such as turning the camera to portrait mode, caused it to read F---. Of course this would also be a defect and should be addressed by the store, either a return or a decent discount.
12-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
ended up taking the lens back to where I purchased it. Henry's is sending out to be repaired ( back in 6 to 8 weeks)