Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #1

pentax green stobe. CONFUSED?

Have a new K3
Lot to learn yes
Know enough to shoot in manual or auto.
But am overwhelmed with so many options.
My question is I shoot a lot of Dog Shows with fast moving dogs
Am pleased with most of my results. But as I am very new to this camera and have
Lot to learn. I have no problem in normal light. But when I get in low light conditions the camera
Shoots this green beam at subject. I'm sure its a sensing probe of some kind.
But the problem is I take pictures of live moving dogs at dog shows and whet shoots this
Beam out it shines it in the dogs eyes and it startles the dog's.
I almost caused Laos at a show when the dog almost freaked cause of this light beam.
What is this beams purpose?
Is it possible to shoot in low light without this light coming on?
How do I shoot without this light coming on?
Does this light only come on in certain modes?
Or does it come on in all modes in low light conditions?
Or is there other modes that don't use this green light?
Any help would most appreciated.
I bought this camera specifically for dog shows cause of its fast
Shutter speeds. If this green probe light comes on in all low light
Conditions the camera is of no use to me for dog showing.
Hope there's a solution as I love this camera. Thanks Ed

12-17-2014, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

It's called the AF Assist Beam, and you can turn it off.

Press the Menu button on the back of the camera > Rec Mode [Little Red camera icon] tab 1 > AF Assist Light > Off.

Time to read the manual
12-17-2014, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And without the af assist the autofocus is less reliable in low light.
12-17-2014, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest a flash for that application, but maybe that is not possible if the dogs react badly.

I was at a dog show recently and there were several photographers with studio strobe gear set up and I saw no issues. They were using studio strobes and soft boxes.

12-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
And without the af assist the autofocus is less reliable in low light.
Not with the K-3. I never use AF assist at all. Never found the need.

It's also very intrusive. If it's a dark scene, AF assist comes on like a dazzling searchlight.
12-18-2014, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by ED KASPER Quote
Have a new K3
Lot to learn yes
Know enough to shoot in manual or auto.
But am overwhelmed with so many options.
My question is I shoot a lot of Dog Shows with fast moving dogs
Am pleased with most of my results. But as I am very new to this camera and have
Lot to learn. I have no problem in normal light. But when I get in low light conditions the camera
Shoots this green beam at subject. I'm sure its a sensing probe of some kind.
But the problem is I take pictures of live moving dogs at dog shows and whet shoots this
Beam out it shines it in the dogs eyes and it startles the dog's.
I almost caused Laos at a show when the dog almost freaked cause of this light beam.
What is this beams purpose?
Is it possible to shoot in low light without this light coming on?
How do I shoot without this light coming on?
Does this light only come on in certain modes?
Or does it come on in all modes in low light conditions?
Or is there other modes that don't use this green light?
Any help would most appreciated.
I bought this camera specifically for dog shows cause of its fast
Shutter speeds. If this green probe light comes on in all low light
Conditions the camera is of no use to me for dog showing.
Hope there's a solution as I love this camera. Thanks Ed
Just bought myself a Metz 52 AF flash and must say I'm very impressed what it can do, also own a Metz 50 AF. The 50 is a great flash but the 52 seems to be a huge step forward with a touch screen which I thought I would not like but after using it a few time I now prefer it. Reason for mention the Metz 52 is that it has a setting called SPOTBEAM mode where the flash can be used for AF measuring in low ambient light without firing the flash. Yes it does emit a red light buy is far less intrusive than my K3. May be an option for you to investigate.

Cheers
Adrian
12-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

It's also very intrusive. If it's a dark scene, AF assist comes on like a dazzling searchlight.
Interesting, I wonder why they use it if it isn't needed.

12-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #8

Original Poster

Press the Menu button on the back of the camera > Rec Mode [Little Red camera icon] tab 1 > AF Assist Light > Off.

Time to read the manual
Thanks for your reply,
Will check my menu for that
Must have overlooked it in the manual. Thanks

---------- Post added 12-18-14 at 08:49 AM ----------

Exactly the problem.
The first time this happened to me the dogs were in there final competition for championship points and it was a dark ring they were showing in and this damn green strobe light came on when I went to take the shot and signed in the poor dogs eyes the dog almost freaked and jumped out of the ring. Needless to say gtgmt I bad look from she handler who was handling the dog.
And it happened again with another dog. So I didn't want to be responsible for blowing the dogs chance at competition win so I quit shooting pics the rest of the day. I was frustrated

---------- Post added 12-18-14 at 08:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian D Quote
Just bought myself a Metz 52 AF flash and must say I'm very impressed what it can do, also own a Metz 50 AF. The 50 is a great flash but the 52 seems to be a huge step forward with a touch screen which I thought I would not like but after using it a few time I now prefer it. Reason for mention the Metz 52 is that it has a setting called SPOTBEAM mode where the flash can be used for AF measuring in low ambient light without firing the flash. Yes it does emit a red light buy is far less intrusive than my K3. May be an option for you to investigate.

Cheers
Adrian
Thanks for the advice.
A new good flash until is one of my next goodies to get.
Along with a host of other stuff on my to get list. Thanks
12-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Shoots this green beam at subject.
I am surprised that the AF assist came on under arena conditions. My experience is that it generally does not light until things are quite dim, say EV 2(100).

Steve
12-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrme;308466r:
I am surprised that the AF assist came on under arena conditions. My experience is that it generally does not light until things are quite dim, say EV 2(100).

Steve
Never did for of either.
But this show was at a rinky dink show at an old fairgrounds the building and ring this group of dogs were showing at had very poor lighting it was very dim.
Worst show I ever went to.
All pics turned out like crap cause I couldnt use flash and they were movement shots.
Couldn't
But this show was at a pinky

---------- Post added 12-18-14 at 09:18 AM ----------

Never did for of either.
But this show was at a rinky dink show at an old fairgrounds the building and ring this group of dogs were showing at had very poor lighting it was very dim.
All pics turned out like crap cause I couldnt use flash and they were movement shots.
Couldn't
Sorry for miss spelling.
12-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Never did for of either.
Couldn't
This is the situation where you have to crank up your ISO a fair bit in order to get some good shots. If you use TAv mode keeping the shutter at 1/250 and aperture wide-open, keep AF assist light off (as you indicated, not allowed). You may be able to get some (but not great) shots. One thing to keep in mind is that, if you can't get the shots, not too many people can get it either.
12-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up
Aleonx3
I usually do that, crank up the ISO also because the dogs are moving fast. But it seams like a trade off with high ISO shooting pics start getting grainy noise. I have a lot to catch up on been a long time since I did some serious shooting. A knot of she memory comes right back but a lot don't want to.
The old mind isn't what it use to be LOL!

---------- Post added 12-18-14 at 01:17 PM ----------

Oops
A lot of the memory.
12-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Interesting, I wonder why they use it if it isn't needed.
There may be situations where it is useful, so it makes sense to have it available. Kind of like the pop-up flash.

It's interesting that some cameras like the Canon 6D that can also focus down to a very dark -3EV (just like the K-3) dispense with the AF assist light entirely. But then again Canon also took the pop-up flash out of the 6D as well. For Canon it may be all about crippling the camera so people will have a reason to upgrade, or saving a buck or two, but Pentax goes the other way, providing good features and value.