Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I actually like the one better without NR. The noise in that photo isn't that bad and doesn't detract from the photo at all.
For anyone used to film, that grain is totally acceptable.

12-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Try this in LR (should take less than 10 seconds)...
Just endorsing Michaelina's workflow here. Been routinely doing the same. It is important to work the NR alongside sharpening alongside masking. What I would add is that at the highest ISO's it never hurts to crush the blacks a bit and boost contrast a notch as well.

Also in Lightroom chroma noise reduction is a funny thing. If applied too strongly it will damage detail particularly in K-3 reds. Usually it's best to take it just to the point where it removes most of the chroma speckles in dark areas, and stop there.
12-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a great thread. I came to a similar conclusion yesterday (similar to the OP) as I processed a photo I had reluctantly taken at 12800 speed with the K3 and got remarkably good results although I used DxO for processing. However, even without noise removal, the image looked pretty good. I normally avoid using NR ever since I got a K5 a few years ago. With the K5, noise wasn't a huge problem. AND, if I tried to use NR, I found that I lost a lot of detail. I'd rather have noise than lost detail (in most cases).

With the K3, I'm actually feeling like the noise is less. I think it's because it's finer, but when it is there it processes away very easily with no significant detail loss. I rarely have to sharpen to make up for NR, but I'm not using much NR anyway.

I posted an example ISO 12800 shot over in the High Iso thread (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/64295-pentax-hig...t-here-93.html)

I don't fully understand all the High ISO dislike for the K3.
12-18-2014, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

I think it's very good.

ISO 6400

Foy Vance @ Neptune
by John Rudolph Photography, on Flickr

ISO 12,800

Martha Davis and The Motels
by John Rudolph Photography, on Flickr

12-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like john5100, I shoot a lot of live music, and there has been no practical difference in noise between my K-3 and my K-5 IIs. Both do extremely well, and have produced usable images when the FF CaNikon guys have walked away shaking their heads.
12-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #36
Pentaxian

K3 vs K5 noise has been discussed many times. For most photos there's no discernable difference in noise if you are displaying or printing at the same final size from both cameras. The noise looks different if you pixel peep at 1:1 but that's not how most people look at photos.
12-18-2014, 05:03 PM - 3 Likes   #37

Looks good for sure!
This one is taken with orig. K-5, ISO 12800. And you know the long exposure does effect to noise in a bad way cuz of warm sensor. So this is not bad IMO. Tho that K-3's pic surprised me, I've always thought the K-3 being bad in low light within high ISOs.

12-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AND... Want to do more...?
Try this in LR (should take less than 10 seconds)...

1. Open the DNG file in the DEVELOP module.
2. Open the EFFECTS dialog box and go to the Noise Reduction set of sliders.
3. Press the "Alt" key on your PC to turn the image to B&W, then with your mouse pointer, push the Luminance slider to the place on the scale where the noise speckles start to fade, then adjust to suit your fancy (some like to leave a few speckles to keep the image from looking plastic...). Be patient as it may take a moment for the effect to become apparent.
4. Press the Alt key, again and adjust the COLOR slider to remove the color speckles. Again, be patient as it may take a moment or two for the color speckles to dissolve.
5. Go to the SHARPENING set of sliders (above the NR set in the EFFECTS dialog box).
6. In your mind, subtract the Luminance adjustment number from 100 and enter that calculation into the AMOUNT slider's adjustment result box. For example, if your Luminance number was 30, enter 70. Notice that the luminance noise you erased earlier has returned. UGH ! Get rid of it by...
7. Press the Alt key on your PC, again, and adjust the MASKING slider to the point that your image appears to be a B&W line drawing.
8. Release the Alt key...

BINGO ! You have killed the image noise AND sharpened it, as needed to fit your taste. Now, get that pesky WB under control...

Cheers... M
In LR 5, the sharpening adjustments are in the DETAIL dialog box. EFFECTS just controls Post-Crop Vignetting and Grain.
12-18-2014, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
In LR 5, the sharpening adjustments are in the DETAIL dialog box. EFFECTS just controls Post-Crop Vignetting and Grain.

I stand corrected and have edited my note... Thank you.

Cheers... M
12-19-2014, 12:59 AM   #40
Pentaxian

impressive results
12-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I stand corrected and have edited my note... Thank you.

Cheers... M
No problem. And great procedure. Did you figure this out yourself or learn the technique from someone?

Thanks.
12-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
No problem. And great procedure. Did you figure this out yourself or learn the technique from someone?

Thanks.

Hat Tip: John5100...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/247974-k-3-noise-2.html#post2644938

Cheers... M
12-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm confused.. Does in camera NR have an effect on DNG files?? I thought DNG files were untouched....
12-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
I'm confused.. Does in camera NR have an effect on DNG files?? I thought DNG files were untouched....
I thought so too, but then I saw the video from Ed saying the NR in k-3 is different from k-5/IIs series. So, I am not sure now..
12-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Does in camera NR have an effect on DNG files?? I thought DNG files were untouched....
The in-camera NR settings only apply to JPEG's, not DNG.

Why rely on YouTube videos, which are often little more than anecdotal amateur chats, when you can check the issue out yourself with ease.