Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, looks good, though I would caution that photos of furry creatures fair better with high ISO that many other subjects. The same photo of a human face would not look quite as good.

Steve

12-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Scaling it down to the size for the forum probably helps, too. At full size, it might look a bit smeary with noise reduction.

Or it might not. high ISO photos in good light don't usually look as bad as high ISO photos in low light, from what I've seen, which could be totally wrong.
12-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I had to try.. since my K-3 seems to be noisier than most....
16000 ISO

16000 ISO with my normal NR routines..

Not great but completely doable. I have a few 400 ISO film images that are a lot worse...
12-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My experience is that if you can get your exposure right in camera, the noise levels actually stay decent to surprisingly high. The hard part is when you have to bring up the exposure in post.

12-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #20
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
K-5 and K-3 are the same size sensor. both are APS-c.
I should have specified: There are 50% more pixels on the K-3 jammed into the same space as the sensor on the K-5. A sure recipe for more noise - or so I thought.

---------- Post added 12-18-2014 at 11:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Image looks quite good for such a high ISO. The quality of light must have also played a role in how well the image came out.
It was pitch-black outside, and the only light came from a lamp which had the dimmer at less than half. So I would argue that the light quality was mediocre at best.
12-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
A sure recipe for more noise.
Yes, it often is, and that's always been my assumption as well; but the picture you've posted here certainly demonstrates that it isn't necessarily so.
12-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #22
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Scaling it down to the size for the forum probably helps, too. At full size, it might look a bit smeary with noise reduction.

Or it might not. high ISO photos in good light don't usually look as bad as high ISO photos in low light, from what I've seen, which could be totally wrong.
That's one of the things that surprised me the most. When adjusting my K-5 images, I really noticed the smear and at way lower ISOs like 3200. But when I zoom in 100% on this and do a before/after check with the "\" key in Develop module, the NR applied still leaves a very good amount of detail. And in my reply to another post, the light quality was mediocre at best. I sure wish I knew how to export 100% crops or I'd post the before-and-after results.

12-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the K5 cameras have some noise reduction built into the RAW at higher isos and if you are willing to do some post processing, you can probably get better results from the K3.
12-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have a few 400 ISO film images that are a lot worse...

Steve
12-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As long as you can get the proper exposure then noise at high ISOs becomes much easier to control. Where the noise becomes troublesome is when the shadows are underexposed. That's an excellent example of a high ISO exposure.
12-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a few 400 ISO film images that are a lot worse...
So have I. I once pushed Tri-X to 1600 and developed it in D76. Just a wee bit grainier than when shot at 400 and developed in Microdol. LOL
12-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
So have I. I once pushed Tri-X to 1600 and developed it in D76. Just a wee bit grainier than when shot at 400 and developed in Microdol. LOL
Ah, good old Microdol. I used to shoot 32 ISO copy film and process in Microdol for that "no grain" look. It gave me incredibly fine grain, incredibly high contrast images... sigh, the good old days.
12-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #28
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
AND... Want to do more...?
Try this in LR (should take less than 10 seconds)...

1. Open the DNG file in the DEVELOP module.
2. Open the EFFECTS dialog box and go to the Noise Reduction set of sliders.
3. Press the "Alt" key on your PC to turn the image to B&W, then with your mouse pointer, push the Luminance slider to the place on the scale where the noise speckles start to fade, then adjust to suit your fancy (some like to leave a few speckles to keep the image from looking plastic...). Be patient as it may take a moment for the effect to become apparent.
4. Press the Alt key, again and adjust the COLOR slider to remove the color speckles. Again, be patient as it may take a moment or two for the color speckles to dissolve.
5. Go to the SHARPENING set of sliders (above the NR set in the EFFECTS dialog box).
6. In your mind, subtract the Luminance adjustment number from 100 and enter that calculation into the AMOUNT slider's adjustment result box. For example, if your Luminance number was 30, enter 70. Notice that the luminance noise you erased earlier has returned. UGH ! Get rid of it by...
7. Press the Alt key on your PC, again, and adjust the MASKING slider to the point that your image appears to be a B&W line drawing.
8. Release the Alt key...

BINGO ! You have killed the image noise AND sharpened it, as needed to fit your taste. Now, get that pesky WB under control...

Cheers... M
Would that make a good preset?
12-18-2014, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

16000 ISO

Not great but completely doable. I have a few 400 ISO film images that are a lot worse...
With or without NR, they both look pretty good to me.

I got spoiled by my Canon 6D's seeming lack of noise at 6400 or even 12,800. I kind looked down on both on my K5IIs and the K3 as a lost cause for anything above 800. After seeing your post and the OP's image, I am now warming up to my K3 being capable of better high ISO shots.

Thanks for the post.
12-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

16000 ISO

I actually like the one better without NR. The noise in that photo isn't that bad and doesn't detract from the photo at all.