Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you exactly tell me what settings you have put in all the fields in the drive mode and exactly the exposure setting. It is not clear how you have been setting them. Do you use MF or AF? It will try to focus before the shot so if no focus is found it will not take the shot.

I have set 7 seconds as intervall, 5 seconds as shutter speed, i.e 2 seconds between shots, not saving the progress and there is no problem with this set-up...

EDIT: It will take the first shot but no more if it can not find focus. If pressing the menu-button between shots you will get info on the status of the intervall and pressing again before next shot will end the intervall prematurely.

---------- Post added 01-03-15 at 09:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
So I've been testing my camera in interval composite mode some more. Here's what I've found.

When setting the time between frames, that's the time that lapses between each image (and is in addition to the shutter time.) I tested this by trying multiple-second exposures with both a two-second interval and the exposure+2 seconds. In each case, the interval (when it worked) what the number of second I input and did not take into account the shutter duration. So a 10-second shutter speed with a 2-second delay would be 12 seconds from shutter-up to shutter-up. With a 12-second duration, it was 22 seconds between. So that's how the K-3 is working, to remove any confusion about that.
I am not sure how to interpret this but the way it works is as follows:

The interval time setting tells the camera to "push the shutter button" every time the timer hits the interval time. If the camera is not ready to take a shot nothing will happen but the timer keeps on counting until reaching the set amount.

During the exposure the camera will be unresponsive but in the paus it will respond.

The interval has to be longer than the shutter speed so if we want to take a number of 10 second exposures with 2 seconds between the interval has to be set to 12 seconds.

BUT: Sometimes the camera takes time to save to the SD card or process the image and therefor needs more than 2 seconds between shots so you may need to set 13 or 14 seconds as interval i.e you get 3 or 4 seconds between shots.

This to look for if it does not work:

Is the paus between shots to short? I.e is the shutter speed equal or longer than the interval time. Set a longer interval time.

Is the focus in AF-mode and can not find focus? Set it to MF.

Is the Long exposure Noise reduction set to Auto or On? It will kick in when using shutter speeds longer than 1.3 seconds if turned ON, in Auto it kicks in at arround 20 seconds. Turn it OFF.

Last edited by Tjompen1968; 01-03-2015 at 02:03 PM.
01-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Do you use MF or AF?
MF

The interval has to be longer than the shutter speed
This is contrary to the manner in which my K-3 has operated when it works properly -- which is inconsistently at best. The interval of two seconds is the time between the end of the first exposure and the start of the next. On my K-3, the interval does not take into consideration the shutter duration with the interval. I've tested this with a stop watch on about a dozen different shutter speed and interval time combinations. So if I have a two second shutter speed and three second interval, the total duration for the cycle will be five seconds. If it's a ten second shutter speed and four second interval, it's 14 seconds. This is the manner in which it operates, typically for one or two shots, in every case regardless of shutter time (except 30 seconds, which which it just doesn't function.)

I also turned off all of the features that I know of that affect write time -- lens corrections, color cast corrections, and so forth. As for write speed, the SD cards are 95 MBs, so there shouldn't be a buffer issue. Typically, when the K-3 was previously working flawlessly on interval shooting and composite modes the camera would write the image while the second was being taken (based on when the orange LED on the back of the camera turned on.)

Let me take a video of how it's functioning, maybe that will help. Let me try to replicate the issue and take a video of it tomorrow. If it is something that's set incorrectly, then it will be easier to see.
01-03-2015, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Please humor me, What happens when you set:

Manual mode: Shutter speed 1 second

Interval: 00:00'10''
Number of shots: 0005 times
Start Interval: NOW

Does it take one image every 10 seconds or what happens?

Remember that with a interval set to 4 seconds there will be a trigg every 4 seconds so with a interval at 4 seconds and a shutter speed set to 10 seconds it will fire when you press the shutter button, it will miss at 4 s, 8 s then take a shot at 12 seconds, then misses at 16 s and at 20 s, take a shot at 24 s and so on.

This also makes the camera totally un-responsive AND it also misses alot of intended shots.
01-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Please humor me
I'm happy to.

Manual mode: Shutter speed 1 second

Interval: 00:00'10''
Number of shots: 0005 times
Start Interval: NOW

Does it take one image every 10 seconds or what happens?
Well, now I feel like a complete numpty. I see what you guys were talking about with the shutter speed being included in the interval. So I tried that on different settings and, I think, either I was having a prolonged brain fart or was mis-timing my stop watch button pressing. Now I was able to get it to work great, even at 30-second intervals. What I still don't get is why, sometimes, with an interval of 2 seconds and a shutter speed of 25, my K-3 would take a photo with a two-second delay. But, thank you for pushing me past whatever mental block I had. I just don't know why it would sometimes work and sometimes not when I used incorrect settings.

Thank you.

In addition to me simply not getting it, I think my stopwatch is wonky. The 10-second test took less than 48 seconds according to it.

01-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I'm happy to.

Well, now I feel like a complete numpty. I see what you guys were talking about with the shutter speed being included in the interval. So I tried that on different settings and, I think, either I was having a prolonged brain fart or was mis-timing my stop watch button pressing. Now I was able to get it to work great, even at 30-second intervals. What I still don't get is why, sometimes, with an interval of 2 seconds and a shutter speed of 25, my K-3 would take a photo with a two-second delay. But, thank you for pushing me past whatever mental block I had. I just don't know why it would sometimes work and sometimes not when I used incorrect settings.

Thank you.

In addition to me simply not getting it, I think my stopwatch is wonky. The 10-second test took less than 48 seconds according to it.
Your timer is not all that wonky. 1:st shot comes when pushing the shutter button, 2:nd shot comes after 10s, 3:rd after 20, 4:th after 30 and 5:th after 40 seconds plus 1 second of exposure so arround 45-47 seconds before it says finished depending on how long image preview time you have choosen, if turned off the time should be 42 s.

---------- Post added 01-04-15 at 01:55 AM ----------

....sometimes, with an interval of 2 seconds and a shutter speed of 25, my K-3 would take a photo with a two-second delay....
If you read one of my latest answers you see that I talk about the trigger. If you set an interval of 2 seconds the timer will trigger the shutter button every 2 seconds for as many shots you have choosen. What happens with a 25s exposure and an interval of 2s is that the trigger will come every 2 seconds but will do nothing because the shutter is already open. So, for instance, with 2000 set to the amount to shoot you will have 12 triggers during the exposure of 25 seconds, the amount will count down with 12 shots during this one shot, you will have 12 triggers that will do no good but as soon as your 25 s exposure is over it will get a trigger within 2 seconds so it will appear the way you have seen it. 2000 shots will not be taken but probably 166 shots (2000/12) depending on the time drift of 0.5 triggers. (25 seconds exposure/2 s interval=12.5 triggers)

Trigger is a word I use when programming, I am from Sweden so this word may not be correct in english...

Does this make sense?

Last edited by Tjompen1968; 01-03-2015 at 05:57 PM.
09-01-2015, 05:11 AM   #21

I know this is an older topic, but that 30 seconds exposure is really not working well. Set the camera for star trails with 30s exposure and 32 seconds interval. Right after the first shot was done I hear the mirror went up again, no 2 second interval between shots. NR and all the other options were off.

From 300 frames I only got 150+1 (the composite image). And full of gaps between. Not funny!
So, I should set it for 25 seconds exposure maximum? And the best interval for that would be...Or just use the remote for continous shoot?
09-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by semaca Quote
So, I should set it for 25 seconds exposure maximum? And the best interval for that would be...Or just use the remote for continous shoot?
I've taken to just using bulb. When there's too much foreground light, I'll use interval composite on 33 seconds, but unless you have near-fisheye lens width you'll see gaps between stars. It would be good if Pentx's next cameras have the processing power to allow gapless intervals with one image being processed as the next is taken.
09-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Try what I suggested above instead. Don't even bother with interval mode. Simply set the camera to remore continuous shooting, with an exposure time of 30 seconds. Under option 7 under the C menu, select "mode 2."

When you trigger the remote, it will simply keep shooting until you press the button again with no gaps in between shots. Make sure ALL postprocessing (shadow correction, lens correction, etc.) settings are off, since they introduce delays between shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by semaca Quote
I know this is an older topic, but that 30 seconds exposure is really not working well. Set the camera for star trails with 30s exposure and 32 seconds interval. Right after the first shot was done I hear the mirror went up again, no 2 second interval between shots. NR and all the other options were off.

From 300 frames I only got 150+1 (the composite image). And full of gaps between. Not funny!

09-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Try what I suggested above instead. Don't even bother with interval mode. Simply set the camera to remore continuous shooting, with an exposure time of 30 seconds. Under option 7 under the C menu, select "mode 2."
I will try this next time. Under the Multi-exposure there are a few options:simple, continous, self timer, remote control. Basically it's the same thing if I lock the cable remote button.