Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pulled the trigger

I've been trying to hold out until one of the bundled flash deals became active again, but I've been checking "the big two" Pentax dealers and Amazon off and on for a while now. Anyway, I had decided that I was just going to wait to see what was new in Feb. and grab a K3 on a deeper discount when I happened to notice an Amazon Warehouse deal on a "very good" used K3 with the 18-135 for only 8xx something. Even better, there was a 10% off warehouse deal attached to it, so it totaled less than 800 when all was said and done. I felt I would chance it, especially if I could return it to Amazon should it prove to be less than "very good." It showed up today and I can't find a scratch on it. Looks brand new to me. I took it out tonight on a family outing and was darn impressed with the build quality. It is a tank. They really went all out. I snapped this before I came home and made all the recommended changes listed in the review. For an untouched jpg in less than ideal lighting, I'm impressed. I'm coming from a k01 (and the ist before that). IQ on the k01 was great, but usability (for me, I know some folks have great results) in daylight, with ACTIVE kids, was less than idea (and bad eyes). I'm happy to looking through a viewfinder again.

Anywho, I just wanted to tell someone that would appreciate the story vs my wife that rolls her eyes a bit when I start talking cameras.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax K3 is a very good camera. I got mine after a K5 back in May. Don't be surprised if you take a while to 'grow' into it - there is a lot more camera than the K5/K01 and the higher resolution sensor takes a bit of getting used to. It took me about 3 months of use to be happy with it - just learning the different controls, the camera, how the sensor worked in different light situations, and maybe a bit more shot discipline required as a result of the higher resolution and no AA filter.
12-23-2014, 01:57 AM   #3
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations! You will not regret it. K-3 is really a great camera.
I wish you good light with it!

And Marry Christmas!
12-23-2014, 03:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a very colorful image, and lucky you, a brand new camera for a used price ^^
Merry x-mas

12-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, the K3 is a great camera. The higher megapixels does require some adjustment to shooting technique, ie, it must be better but you do get rewarded with great output.

I still have my K5 classic but its the K3 I use and its not just because its the new camera. It definitely is better than the K5 despite what some people may think.

Howie B
12-23-2014, 05:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice find, congratulations.
12-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks! Just dealing with the jpg output, I can tell this is going to take some adjustments. I am sure my post procedure in raw will be considerably different. I'm happy to relearn some things. I got into a spray and pray situation with the k01 more often then not when I try to capture my kids on sunny days.