Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What settings are carried over when shooting RAW?!

Highlight Correction? Any others from the in-camera settings that are carried over when shooting RAW, or is it mainly pointless to select any of these unless shooting jpg?

12-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The only settings relevant for raw files are shutter speed, aperture, iso, and focus. That's all that determines what the sensor records at the time of capture. Everything else can be changed after the fact.

In highlight correction mode, the camera just underexposes by a stop and then boosts shadows, hence that particular setting can work for RAWs
12-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! Do you find that AUTO is the best setting for highlight correction?
12-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I tend to keep it off, but auto also works just fine, especially if you're in raw+ mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you
12-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Highlight correction and white balance. Things like slow shutter NR and bracketing as well, of course. Basically, the "digital" features are jpeg only, while the "analog" features affect raw. HDR is an odd mix, since it is "jpeg only" (actually, on K-3 there is a special raw HDR, but the feature is a little complicated. Read up on it if you want to use it), but it actually takes three frames. For raw HDR, you just select bracketing and take three separate raw photos that you later stitch.

Keep in mind the jpeg settings still get applied to the embedded preview jpeg, the little thumbnail that is actually shown on the camera in playback. This is why raw files can look so different when "previewed" (processed jpeg) and then actually opened in raw software (Actual raw data, low sharpness, saturation, and contrast). This also means that in-camera corrections will take up resources, even if you shoot raw. So if you want to shoot raw quickly, disable shadow correction, vignetting, CA, distortion correction.

Edit: Btw, there are numerous threads about highlight correction. I usually keep it off, but I do turn it on in certain situations, when I know blown highlights are likely to occur.
12-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #7

I've wondered about this too. What about Bright vs Portrait vs other Custom Image settings? They are available in RAW only mode

12-28-2014, 03:03 AM   #8
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by quimming Quote
I've wondered about this too. What about Bright vs Portrait vs other Custom Image settings? They are available in RAW only mode
They are always available except when in Green mode. They will not affect the RAW, just the preview.