Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Native ISO?

I'm reading a bit about the sensor in the K-3 and reviewing the specs. Do I have it right that the native ISO for the K-3 is actually 51,200? For the K-5iis it's 12,800 expandable to 25,600. Is the native ISO actually 4x better than the native ISO on the K-5iis?

12-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm reading a bit about the sensor in the K-3 and reviewing the specs. Do I have it right that the native ISO for the K-3 is actually 51,200? For the K-5iis it's 12,800 expandable to 25,600. Is the native ISO actually 4x better than the native ISO on the K-5iis?
k5ii is expanable to 51200 also just not with highlight shadow correction on
12-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Native ISO
QuoteQuote:
Getting the best image quality out of your camera is another matter however, because as cool as it is to be able to take sharp, blur-free photos under the lousiest lighting conditions, for optimal sharpness, tonal gradations and maximum detail in the shadows and highlights it’s far wiser to stick to the camera’s base, or native ISO rating, which for most cameras is ISO 100. But depending on your camera, even here we have some wiggle room.

One of the side benefits of nosebleed-level ISO ratings is an expanded window of opportunity in terms of how far we can goose the ISO range before noise and artifacting start becoming noticeable. Not all that long ago, image quality started becoming compromised before you climbed a stop above the camera’s native ISO rating, which for most cameras meant by ISO 200 you started seeing noise and artifacts. Today, most DSLRs can be pumped 3-4 stops before noise levels start becoming visible—though still quite acceptable—and depending on the make and model, you may or may not be able to push the limits a few additional stops further before things start falling apart.
sensor - What is meant by the "native ISO" when talking about DSLRs? - Photography Stack Exchange

There must be a new definition native ISO.
12-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They got rid of the expanded ISO setting for all cameras, since it was kind of pointless. I doubt there's much actual benefit at high ISOs such as 12,800+, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There must be a new definition native ISO.
Meet the new native ISO, same as the old native ISO. Won't get fooled again.

My rudimentary knowledge of electronics suggests that the analog sensitivity of recent generations of CMOS sensors must be variable to produce useful images over a 20+ EV range in light intensity. So, if native ISO is defined as the sensitivity where the camera electronics don't apply any gain to the signal coming from the sensor, there probably isn't such a thing as native ISO. Furthermore, if there is a "sweet spot" for the ISO setting, who can say if that is because of the programming behind the sensor system, or because of intrinsic characteristics of the sensor. How many of the pictures you want to take are pictures where you have the ability to manipulate aperture and shutter speed to keep the camera's sensitivity at its sweet spot? (assuming you are able to determine what that sweet spot is) But as a means to compare cameras without discussing anything useful to the photographer, native ISO is a great concept.
12-31-2014, 03:33 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the Native ISO for the K3 is 100. For the K5, the Native ISO was measured by DXO Mark to be 75-ish, while some cameras (like the kx) had a native ISO of 200. But as to high iso performance, the K3 and K5 are basically equivalent, despite the fact that as Adam says, Pentax got rid of the "expanded iso" setting.