Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 10:30 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not my experience.
Slot 1 (RAW): Lexar Platinum II SDHC 32GB (Class 10, 30 MB/s, U1)
Slot 2 (JPEG): Sandisk Ultra SDHC 16 GB (Class 10, 30 MB/s, U1)
Note that both cards are similarly spec'ed. I also tried an old 2 GB Sandisk Ultra II SDSC in slot 2, thinking I might get different results, but no. It worked just fine.
When I had this issue several times, I was on a day tour to Kangaroo Island and took a lot of photos. Guessing, it would take about 50 frames before I got the error message. My point being that it didn't happen 100% of the time, so if you put different cards in the two slots and took a couple of photos, it may not occur. It's also possible that high speed shutter mode may have triggered it - ie a large amount of data in short time. I've taken a lot of photos since with identical cards in both slots and had no problem, even in high speed shutter mode. As noted earlier, YMMV. The same cards which triggered the issue had been used previously in the K5iis and K7 without any problems.

02-20-2015, 01:02 AM   #47

K-3 and memory cards issue.

There are at this moment:
* Polaroid (PNY) 32GB SDHC class 10 in slot 1 for RAW DNGs;
* Sony 32GB class 10 40MB/s UHS-I in slot 2 for JPGs -
- with no issues, BUT I had to update K-3 firwmare to ver. 1.11 for the above Sony UHS-I card to be recognized by K-3 (the card was taken from working K-5 IIs).
(I've put slightly faster card in slot 2 for smooth video recording to that slot).

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
if you use the mode where JPG goes to one card and RAW to the other, the cards need to be identical
02-20-2015, 01:15 AM   #48

Expanded Area AF "L", "M", "S" modes?

I hate this button with you. Actually I do not find the difference between "S", "M" and "L" Expanded Area AF modes. Is there any??

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
I'm too much of a simpleton to remember what mode I'm in when I'm shooting. There is an icon in the viewfinder that indicates when focus selection mode is active but I tend to ignor it.
02-20-2015, 05:02 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
There are at this moment:
* Polaroid (PNY) 32GB SDHC class 10 in slot 1 for RAW DNGs;
* Sony 32GB class 10 40MB/s UHS-I in slot 2 for JPGs -
- with no issues, BUT I had to update K-3 firwmare to ver. 1.11 for the above Sony UHS-I card to be recognized by K-3 (the card was taken from working K-5 IIs).
(I've put slightly faster card in slot 2 for smooth video recording to that slot).

-----
On balance, perhaps there's no rhyme or reason to it; I'm just unlucky?

02-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
On balance, perhaps there's no rhyme or reason to it; I'm just unlucky?
What works for you, works for you. One can't argue with results.

Steve
03-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
FWIW the issue with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 returned last weekend while at an Airshow. It looks like the lens just isn't fully compatible with the K3. It works perfectly with the K5iis.
08-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I recently bought 2 new SD cards: SP Silicon Power Edite R 85 MB/s SDHC 32GB

I never knew about this brand and when asking about it, the retailer told me they had been selling it for years.

Yesterday I attended a wedding and of the 4500 shots, 1 is empty. The photo file is there but 0 bytes in size.

The camera used was K-3 II - it has 8300 exposures now and displayed no other issues. Ironically, I have another K-3 II, that during the day displayed a number of issues such as mirror flapping and two lock ups - but no issues with the photos taken.

Is the 0 byte issue a cam or card thing?
08-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Could be either.
With SD cards, the built-in controller of the card does manage all the organizing of storage, completly intransparent for the operating system.
So you just know a data transfer to the card was "announced". Whether the transfer did take place is not known, but the final update of the FAT entry obviously was not written to the card.

By the way, the card needs energy taken from the camera (and not really small amounts, some cards get quite hot when writing permanently). Dirty contacts may cause uneven voltage supply to the card, which can result in all kinds of strange behaviour.

If you once used a card with dirty contacts, you may have transfered the problem to the camera card slot. Avoid ever to touch the card contacts with your fingers!

Last edited by RKKS08; 08-09-2015 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Typing
08-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I haven't experienced anything like this with my K3, and I've tried a number of different cards. Were you able to recover the data?

FWIW I still have the issue with the Tamron lens, which is irritating, but there's not much I can do about it. Never had a problem with a Pentax lens.
08-19-2015, 05:35 AM   #55
Pentaxian

I haven''t experienced it since and didn't attempt to recover because it was not a photo I was going to use or miss - I know that because I did two shots of the bridal car, and one was missing - but it didn't matter as I did some better ones later that day.
08-19-2015, 11:05 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I haven''t experienced it since and didn't attempt to recover because it was not a photo I was going to use or miss - I know that because I did two shots of the bridal car, and one was missing - but it didn't matter as I did some better ones later that day.
OK, it sounds like you are using the mode where the second card isn't used until the first is full. I usually have the mode where the JPEG files go to one card and the RAW to the other.
08-20-2015, 02:18 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Going from K-30 to K-3 II had an impact on SD card consumption, as the files are much larger. I've purchased more cards and cover ceremony and couple-shoot with copies on both cards, but I still need few more cards, before I can cover entire weddings with extra (RAW) copy on the second card.
08-20-2015, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Going from K-30 to K-3 II had an impact on SD card consumption, as the files are much larger. I've purchased more cards and cover ceremony and couple-shoot with copies on both cards, but I still need few more cards, before I can cover entire weddings with extra (RAW) copy on the second card.
No worries - it was a comment not a criticism.
08-25-2015, 07:36 AM   #59

No need for a new topic, so...

I did some star trail last night and programmed the camera to do 240 images (20 seconds exposure, 21 seconds interval), but after 1 and 1/2 hours it stopped and in that time I had only 121photos. The battery still had 2 lines.
The gaps in stars are another issue. It worked better with 10s with 12 seconds interval between shots.
08-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by semaca Quote
I did some star trail last night and programmed the camera to do 240 images (20 seconds exposure, 21 seconds interval), but after 1 and 1/2 hours it stopped and in that time I had only 121photos. The battery still had 2 lines.
Did you have long exposure noise reduction on? That would explain it perfectly.

Michael