Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 glitches - anyone else?

I've had the K3 for a little while now, and I've had a couple of glitches happening regularly.
1. Every so often, the camera claims that a card isn't formatted, but it is.
2. Every so often, the camera stops recognising the Tamron zoom lens, decides it's a manual lens and prompts for a focal length.

Turning the camera off and on again seems to fix both issues most of the time, but sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect the lens.
Has anyone else experienced this?

12-31-2014, 02:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Sounds more like a lens issue. Have you tried cleaning the contacts? I had a similar issue with a Sigma lens, intermittent connection failure that I think was just a slight variance in contact alignment between off brand lens and camera.

As to the card unless you are getting the same error on multiple cards I would first suspect the card. Any card that gave me errors would go straight into the trash.
12-31-2014, 03:01 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

The K-3 has been relatively trouble-free (compared to K-x, K-5 for example). The incidents that you describe could be an issue with the card and with the lens.

Everytime I got a card error, I recover the files (if required, throw away the card and get a new one. Cards are cheap and I do not want to chances to loose any shots.

When a lens problem occurs, the two most likely issues are the mount and contacts, and the lens itself.

I would suggest to test another new card and other lenses. Cards are easy to get. If you need other lenses, consider contacting other PF members in your area if they could assist.

My 5 cens, hoping that these may help....
12-31-2014, 03:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I've had the K3 for a little while now, and I've had a couple of glitches happening regularly.
2. Every so often, the camera stops recognising the Tamron zoom lens, decides it's a manual lens and prompts for a focal length.

Turning the camera off and on again seems to fix both issues most of the time, but sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect the lens.
I am not sure about the lens issue. It could be the lens. Tamron warranty is solid. They will fix it if it is a lens problem. In my Canon days, I had a 24-70 f2.8 VC Tamron which was draining my camera battery, even when the camera was in the off position! It was a known Tamron lens issue. Tamron acknowledged the problem and fixed it for free. It just cost me shipping to them. They shipped it back for free.

As far as SD cards, I only buy Sandisk Extreme or Extreme pro. I bought their CF cards for my canons and I have never had a problem in over 10 years of use. As jatrax said it, let it go if it is happening too often. I stay away from Lexar. Many of my pro friends had issues with them and lost client images (a nightmare). Anything generic is not worth a few bucks of savings. I CANNOT afford losing files or cards acting up issues.

As it is, my K3 has frozen on me with different lenses on four or five occasions, in the middle of a shoot, in less than 6 months of use. I also had my a Pentax F50 macro luck up on me multiple times such that the camera had to be powered down and the battery taken out before the problem went away. In case of the 50 macro, I think the lens is the culprit. It is an older lens and not worth the cost of sending in for repair.

12-31-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Try to format the card in the camera or try a different card
Try to clean the contacts or try a different lens

If you do this you can determine whether it is the camera or the lens/card
12-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

I had a similar problem with memory card in K10D a few years ago. It turned out to be the card itself. Other memory cards I tried worked fine. Problem solved by tossing the card in the trash. Regarding the lens, do you have any other lenses and do they have same problem? If the problem is the camera, I would suspect the problem would show up on all of your lenses. I have a new K3 for a month now and have not had any problems with it. I also have a K5 for 3 years now and it is also trouble free. My experience with Pentax cameras and lenses is that it is a reliable product. My only problems were an SF10 film camera where the latch that holds the film compartment cover broke 19 years after I bought the camera and my DA 17 - 70 SDM can be slow to start if the lens has been sitting idle for a long time. DSLR's K10D, K5 and now K3 and all other lenses, all problem free. I Hope this helps
12-31-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
Forum Member

The lens problem sounds like contacts, you could press all contacts in and let them spring out again, as contact problems can be between the pressure spring and the visable button, a clean with a fine sprit and a rub with a microfibre cloth may do the trick.
As always in life some different advice occurs, I have found Kingston to be the best make of card and have never had a miss read or com failure.
12-31-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Is the card a SDXC card by chance?

12-31-2014, 07:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Good advice given already. Just wanted to add Samsungs "Pro" series to the list of good cards. My old Transcend cards work too, but they are really too slow - fine for the K-5, but the K-3 slows down with those.
12-31-2014, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I've seen that problem randomly with almost every SD card I've ever used in any device I've ever used it in.

Do you have a Mac, by any chance?

Macs are ridiculously touchy about properly ejecting cards before you remove them. Usually when I've run across a complaint about a card in a device, its been one I didn't "properly" remove from my mac.

I haven't used a windows box aside from remoting into one for work in ages, but I don't recall them being nearly as picky about ejecting cards as long as you weren't actually writing to them at the time.

The second issue I've run into on occasion with my 60-250. Contacts are clean and springy. I don't think i've ever seen it happen when I have the lens mounted on a tripod, so I suspect it's something to do with the weight of the lens making a bit of a gap somewhere. Is your Tamron a heavy lens like the 70-200/2.8?
01-01-2015, 03:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I have used all my SD cards in the K5iis without a problem, only an issue in the K3. Also note that I formatted them in the K3, and have already used them to take many photos. After a random number of photos, the camera announces that the card in slot 2 isn't formatted. Turning the camera off and on stops the behaviour. I suspect the problem is due to using non-identical cards, so the write speed is slightly different. I have set the camera to write raw to sd1 and jpg to sd2.

The K3 hasn't misbehaved with Pentax lenses, but I have mostly been using the Tamron. I'll have to try the DA16-45 when I get home. Resetting the lens issue seems to require removing and replacing the lens.
01-01-2015, 04:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Card error here usually only happens if I pull the card (or disconnect the USB) from the computer before ejecting it via the operating system. Operator error! I think SDXC cards seem to be more sensitive to this (older SDHC's seemed to tolerate this more often). Putting the card back in the computer (OSX) usually fixes it. Failing that, reformat the card in the camera (which will mean losing any images on the card).

Repeated random card errors during use are a bit more of a concern, I would be dubious on the reliability of the card and consider replacement.
01-02-2015, 03:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I had a similar problem with memory card in K10D a few years ago. It turned out to be the card itself. Other memory cards I tried worked fine. Problem solved by tossing the card in the trash. Regarding the lens, do you have any other lenses and do they have same problem? If the problem is the camera, I would suspect the problem would show up on all of your lenses. I have a new K3 for a month now and have not had any problems with it. I also have a K5 for 3 years now and it is also trouble free. My experience with Pentax cameras and lenses is that it is a reliable product. My only problems were an SF10 film camera where the latch that holds the film compartment cover broke 19 years after I bought the camera and my DA 17 - 70 SDM can be slow to start if the lens has been sitting idle for a long time. DSLR's K10D, K5 and now K3 and all other lenses, all problem free. I Hope this helps
All the cards I am using have worked fine in the K7 and K5iis. The only glitches have been in the K3. I have also used the Tamron lens for a year in the K5iis without a hitch. The K3 gave me the same problem with the lens today, and also once with the write error.

QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
The lens problem sounds like contacts, you could press all contacts in and let them spring out again, as contact problems can be between the pressure spring and the visable button, a clean with a fine sprit and a rub with a microfibre cloth may do the trick.
As always in life some different advice occurs, I have found Kingston to be the best make of card and have never had a miss read or com failure.
OK, I'll have a go at leaning the contacts. With respect to the SD card issue I'm going to try using two identical cards in both slots to eliminate write speed as an issue, because I am pretty sure that's what the problem is.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Is the card a SDXC card by chance?
All the cards are SDHC.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Good advice given already. Just wanted to add Samsungs "Pro" series to the list of good cards. My old Transcend cards work too, but they are really too slow - fine for the K-5, but the K-3 slows down with those.
As it happens, one of the cards I have used so far is a samsung. The one which I think is causing the issue is a Lexar Professional 16GB "400x speed" class 10. It ought to be fast enough for HD video.

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Do you have a Mac, by any chance? The second issue I've run into on occasion with my 60-250. Contacts are clean and springy. I don't think i've ever seen it happen when I have the lens mounted on a tripod, so I suspect it's something to do with the weight of the lens making a bit of a gap somewhere. Is your Tamron a heavy lens like the 70-200/2.8?
No, I don't have a Mac. While I was away I was using a Samsung tablet but I'm always careful to eject the card.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
Repeated random card errors during use are a bit more of a concern, I would be dubious on the reliability of the card and consider replacement.
Sure, except that the same card works fine in the K5iis and worked before and since in the K3.

I'll try two identical cards to see how it goes, and try cleaning the contacts on the lens and camera. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
01-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Rear LCD

My rear LCD quit working after a night of charging.....just sent it to precision camera
01-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jezzeppi Quote
My rear LCD quit working after a night of charging.....just sent it to precision camera
Ouch. That's a much more serious issue.

I'm using the K3 with an identical pair SD cards with the DA 16-45 and so far, no issues.

Edit - the DA 16-45 has the same minor focussing inconsistencies at infinity that happened with other cameras. I would conclude that it's the fault of the lens not the camera. I haven't had a problem with writing to the SD cards or the lens not being recognised while using identical SD cards and a Pentax lens.

Last edited by RobG; 01-07-2015 at 02:35 PM.