Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Expanded area AF

Well, I just got my new K-3!!!

I have a question, and I'm sure I'll have plenty more. But this one is about Expanded Area AF.

There are a lot of AF choices.

It looks like using Expanded Area AF makes sense, since the goal is to keep the subject in focus, and this appears to help even if they move away from the selected focus point. I guess this is a kind of predictive AF.

Given that, doesn't Expanded Area AF (L) make the most sense to use since it engages all the points, if necessary? Is there a downside to using it?

Thanks

Last edited by Spodeworld; 12-31-2014 at 07:49 AM.
12-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations on getting your new K-3!
12-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes the AF gets confused by objects that cross your subject, and increasing the area of the Expanded AF introduces more of these confusions. So if you NEED the larger area, then go for Expanded AF (L), but otherwise a smaller area will be more reliable.
12-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I saw a function in the, Hold AF Status. I'm wondering if this can be used to cut down on the confusion you mentioned. The default is off, but if I use Expanded AF, maybe also setting Hold AF Status with one of the on selections would help as it appears that it would provide a buffer before the camera tries to readjust focus.

Thoughts?

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Sometimes the AF gets confused by objects that cross your subject, and increasing the area of the Expanded AF introduces more of these confusions. So if you NEED the larger area, then go for Expanded AF (L), but otherwise a smaller area will be more reliable.

12-31-2014, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While the HOLD AF is intended to help, the statement still applies that in (L), the camera's AF module can pick up more interference than in (M). That being said, I use (L) myself because my general shooting subjects are people, and they are generally contrasty and don't get confused with other objects by the camera. However if I were shooting a bird in foliage, I may want to go down to (M) and make sure my camera framing is good enough to keep the bird in the smaller area.
12-31-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm relatively new to the K-3, and I find the AF choices pretty challenging. Many here have given advice for specific situations they typically encounter.

It would be great if an authority on the subject went through all the various settings and options, recommending what works best in particular situations. That would make an especially helpful "sticky" at the top of the K-3 forum.