Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Happy days! =)

Received my K3 yesterday and I absolutely love it.

I knew coming from an EVF that moving on to an OVF would be a new experience and I'm slowly getting used to the DOF preview. Which is oddly enough the hardest switch for me to hit. I keep adjusting the shutter speed by accident.

I've done what seemed logical in my head and switched off just about every image correction feature (NR etc.) - is that a good idea? I simply figured I will slowly switch them on as I identify issues in the future.

My K3 came bundled with a WR lens albeit the 18-55, but I also got the 50mm 1.8 included at less than half price. Stoked about it! I've been wanting to get into portrait photography ever since starting out.

Now today while in town, I came across an old photography shop and while browsing through his collection of ancient lenses I saw a lot of m42 lenses as well.
I asked him about them and it turned out he had an originall pentax m42 to K converter. I read somewhere that the original was the best one.

Good purchase?

Finally I came home and to my surprise a Helios 44 K mount was delivered!

I feel like I have so much to figure out now that I'm not sure where to start, but it's a good feeling.

Now regarding the K3:

I know it's incredibly feature rich, so much so in fact, I'm surprised how hidden a lot of the features seem to be.

I watched a video on youtube with a person (chinese I believe) who used a liveview focusing feature that crop zoomed where he wanted, to accurately focus. does anybody know what this function might be called?

12-31-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice, you have a lot of reading and exploring to do. The DA 50 f1.8 is a seemingly cheap lens but it's very good and will give you great shots. Enjoy.
12-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
...I've done what seemed logical in my head and switched off just about every image correction feature (NR etc.) - is that a good idea?...
If you are thinking of processing the raw files, absolutely.
12-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I watched a video on youtube with a person (chinese I believe) who used a liveview focusing feature that crop zoomed where he wanted, to accurately focus. does anybody know what this function might be called?
It is a feature 'focus peaking' using Liveview - where the outline of the object in focus is accentuated. It helps immensely if you want to do manual focus yourself.

Enjoy your new k-3... the ability to use manual focus and m42 lenses opens up a lot of interesting options!!

12-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
It is a feature 'focus peaking' using Liveview - where the outline of the object in focus is accentuated. It helps immensely if you want to do manual focus yourself.

Enjoy your new k-3... the ability to use manual focus and m42 lenses opens up a lot of interesting options!!
ahh of course

yes I'm glued to ebay at the moment trying to catch a bargain here and there.

So far I've had some good results using Aperture priority with manual focus. the metering seems much more fluent than using DOF to get a reading.
I can't wait to go outside and start shooting.
12-31-2014, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Unregistered User

Press the Ok-button in Live View and you will get the zoomed in version. You can then change how much zoom you want with one of the dials.
12-31-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

ahh of course

yes I'm glued to ebay at the moment trying to catch a bargain here and there.

So far I've had some good results using Aperture priority with manual focus. the metering seems much more fluent than using DOF to get a reading.
I can't wait to go outside and start shooting.
Actually, while focus peaking is good, I still prefer to use the camera's PDAF system "with green hexagon-focus confirmation and catch-in-focus". It is easier for me as I still be using the viewfinder instead of liveview; to me it means that holding the camera to the eyes/face is more steady than holding it up in front of the eyes unless the camera is on a tripod.

12-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Actually, while focus peaking is good, I still prefer to use the camera's PDAF system "with green hexagon-focus confirmation and catch-in-focus". It is easier for me as I still be using the viewfinder instead of liveview; to me it means that holding the camera to the eyes/face is more steady than holding it up in front of the eyes unless the camera is on a tripod.
I agree, I definitely prefer using the viewfinder. I've figured out how to switch off the liveview screen completely so I primarely use the lcd panel + viewfinder for info, but for manual focus it is just great to make sure I'm focusing correctly.

This camera keeps showing new sides of itself every time I use it.
12-31-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

done what seemed logical in my head and switched off just about every image correction feature
I've done what seemed logical in my head and switched off just about every image correction feature (NR etc.) - is that a good idea? I simply figured I will slowly switch them on as I identify issues in the future.

All they do is slow down your shooting experience. I would only switch them on if necessary.