Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #1

New K-3 with old kit lens or new lens for K-30

I have a K-30, currently being repaired, that I got with a 18-55 WR kit lens, I also have a Pentax 50-200mm WR, and a Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 AL.
I have a feeling the K-3 is too much camera for me. One way to address this issue is by asking whether my lenses can out-perfrom the K-30 or put another way, will I get better image quality with these lenses on a K-3 than the K-30? Is there better performance in these lenses that I can't capture with the K-30?

Alternatively, should I stick to with the K-30 and buy better lenses or buy a K-3 and keep using the old lenses?

12-31-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiberkli Quote
Is there better performance in these lenses that I can't capture with the K-30?
No.

The entire chain is as only as strong as the weakest link: scene->lens->camera->photographer->post processing. When upgrading you should look at the whole chain and try to improve the part that is weakest.

In your case the kit glass is OK, but could be improved. But (for example) if your skill is the weak link then maybe taking a class is the best investment. I do not think moving to the k-3 would significantly improve your images. The k-3 is a fantastic camera and IMHO superior to the k-30 but will you see a big improvement with those lenses? No, not significantly.

On the other hand there are some reports that the kit lenses improved more on the k-3 than did better quality glass.
12-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a K-30 (also currently being repaired, ugh) and it can really be fantastic with high quality glass. I'm sure the K-3 is better, but I haven't scratched the surface yet of what my K-30 can do. If I were you, I'd invest in at least one "great" lens and see how you like it. Sometimes the right lens can really inspire your photography.
12-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Forum Member

Good posts! What would you consider a Great lens? Would that be a Prime or zoom? The one I've been looking at for my first is Pentax SMC DA* Series 50-135mm f/2.8 ED IF SDM Telephoto Zoom but it is $800 to 900 or the Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NO5QVG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&c...I3S86IM2WR9FJR
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GAPHRE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&c...=I8OU3B9SWQ3LM

Last edited by tampamiketaylor; 12-31-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added lens
12-31-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New glass is helpful to you right away. You can use the glass and the body you have. Should you need to buy a new body in the future things still work out.

BUT if having a second body is worth your while, there really is no wrong answer. My wife walks with me about 80% of the time I venture out with the camera......an extra body with a wide lens to my long lens would be beneficial.

I'm not sure what the market is on a used K-30 with K-50 sitting at $350 brand new right now.....
12-31-2014, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think a great list, especially coming from the 18-55 and the 50-200, is going to really depend on your needs and shooting style. It could be a zoom or prime. If you tend to shoot the kit with the lenses zoomed to any specific level consistently (or fully zoomed or fully wide) then you could probably get a prime. If you tend to shoot all over the place, get a zoom.

Almost any prime will be an improvement over the kit lenses. You just have to figure out what focal length suits you best.

Zoom lenses, I'd say that the most improvement would come from getting a nice constant aperture, possibly fast zoom. For instance the Tamron, Sigma, Pentax family of "standard" zooms (17-50 or 16-50 lenses) would suit a lot of people. I think the variable aperture lenses out there might improve, but you'd have to pay close attention to reviews for ones you might consider. Other zooms that I've seen great stuff from include Sigma's 17-70, the Pentax 18-135, Perhaps a 16-45. I'm not sure how much improvement over the kit you get with those zooms.
12-31-2014, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tampamiketaylor Quote
Good posts! What would you consider a Great lens? Would that be a Prime or zoom? The one I've been looking at for my first is Pentax SMC DA* Series 50-135mm f/2.8 ED IF SDM Telephoto Zoom but it is $800 to 900 or the Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM Prime.

Amazon.com : Pentax SMC DA* Series 50-135mm f/2.8 ED IF SDM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Digital SLR Cameras : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GAPHRE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&c...=I8OU3B9SWQ3LM
Those are both great lenses. I have the DA* 55 and it's excellent. The 50-135 is going to give you more versatility and it is supposed to be a great lens as well.

Then of course, there are the FA Limiteds - the FA 31 and FA 77 are both awesome. It really depends on what focal length appeals to you. It's likely Pentax has an excellent choice available for you.

12-31-2014, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Considering what you already own, a new lens has 1000x more potential to improve your photography (or at least have more fun) than a new K-3.
12-31-2014, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New glass. As they say "You date a body, but marry the lens!" Do you have any of the limiteds? You'd be amazed on what they can do on a K30. You could also get the Sigma 17-70 Contemporary....as sharp piece of glass that will probably cover most of your needs unless you are a birder or doing sports photography where you want close ups of the action.
12-31-2014, 02:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
New glass. As they say "You date a body, but marry the lens!" Do you have any of the limiteds? You'd be amazed on what they can do on a K30. You could also get the Sigma 17-70 Contemporary....as sharp piece of glass that will probably cover most of your needs unless you are a birder or doing sports photography where you want close ups of the action.
Yeah. I just hope Precision returns my camera sometime soon (but thats a separate thread).

I like the Sigma 17-70 Contemporary, as you mentioned, and also the Sigma 17-50mm.

Thanks for all the replies.