Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thoughts on recent price drop in k-3

When I bought the new k-3 in BB, I thought that was the lowest price I would see for the k-3. Today, the new low price of k-3 (lower than BB price) is rather unusual if you look at the price point of similar models from Canikon. While it would be very interesting to see in the next few months of any new releases, it is however, more intriguing to understand if the lack of (many) models in the Pentax DSLR line actually works in their favour. Comments and thoughts?

12-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
When I bought the new k-3 in BB, I thought that was the lowest price I would see for the k-3. Today, the new low price of k-3 (lower than BB price) is rather unusual if you look at the price point of similar models from Canikon. While it would be very interesting to see in the next few months of any new releases, it is however, more intriguing to understand if the lack of (many) models in the Pentax DSLR line actually works in their favour. Comments and thoughts?
Pentax FF is coming...
12-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Pentax FF is coming...
I am thinking more of the implication how Pentax can cut the price so low (looking at D5300, D7100, 70D and T5i) all these models are more or less similar yet they still cost a lot more.
12-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I worry that they are cheapening the brand a little.

12-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A while ago, when the price of the K-3 started to fall in the US (note that it hasn't fallen much, here in Australia) I speculated at the time that a new model may be on its way, only to be told that it was just a temporary thing, to promote sales. Of course, the K-3 created something of a stir when it was released, even drawing praise from established Nikon commentators (Canon commentators seem to be more guarded about giving credit to other systems, it seems to me) but that wasn't sustainable for long, and so the sales promotion concept made sense. The longer-term price fall may be an indication that a new model is close, although why it would be confined to North America is puzzling.

It strikes me that the very features that make the K-3 a technological tour de force (such as the switchable Moiré filter, and the multi-zone white balance data) haven't been seen as things the advanced photographer values, so perhaps more accessible features may be needed for a follow-up model. People have created extensive wish-lists for the successor to the K-3, so I won't add to that, here. I think that some of those things may be necessary to keep Pentax in the game now, with the overall decline in the DSLR market, so I think a successor is on the way. Maybe, even more than one…

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 12-31-2014 at 02:36 PM.
12-31-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where do you see this new pricing?
I'd sure like to know.

JP
12-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Where do you see this new pricing?
I'd sure like to know.

JP

JP, on this thread... the price is USD 599.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/282882-pentax-k3-69...ml#post3098845

I am not sure if you can see it since someone from Quebec says you can not see the discount price from your area.

---------- Post added 12-31-2014 at 04:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
I worry that they are cheapening the brand a little.
Are you thinking of Ricoh/Pentax fire sale an indication of bankruptcy or along the same line? I am not thinking about that instead I think it is a "strategy" that they want to show people that you can get a lot more camera with the price people otherwise would not get from Canikon cheap models.

Last edited by aleonx3; 12-31-2014 at 02:34 PM.
12-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

...I think it is a "strategy" that they want to show people that you can get a lot more camera with the price people otherwise would not get from Canikon cheap models.
My thoughts exactly. I've always thought photography gear to be (way) over-priced. One of the reasons why I left the Fuji system...
12-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I am not thinking about that instead I think it is a "strategy" that they want to show people that you can get a lot more camera with the price people otherwise would not get from Canikon cheap models.

I know for a fact that the K3 has made some waves in the Canikon circles. One of my pro photographer friends who was a Canon guy for literally DECADES bought a K3 and he absolutely loves it. He was raving on the features the K3 has that the higher end Canons don't offer. Lowering the price is good if it brings more converts.

obin
12-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I doubt that they are losing money on the current K-3 pricing. But let's assume they are going to announce the FF in February 2015. Sony FF is relatively cheap. It is a somewhat different animal (EVF rather than OVF, etc) but if they want to attract new users they would need to take that into account. They would also need to have the K-3 at an appropriately lower price point. So they may decide to change their marketing strategy and bring out a new Pentax FF at a more attractive introductory price. They could satisfy the panting Pentax community (well .... "satisfy" is probably the wrong word to use there ) and maybe attract some other users over to Pentax if they emphasised the backward compatibility of lenses. They might also get some early upgraders from Pentax users who add the two prices (K-3 and FF) together and come up with a figure they can justify, while Ricoh/Pentax might figure that smaller profits from a K-3 and FF sales can add up to something quite reasonable while they grow their market. My thought is that FF would make little sense for Ricoh/Pentax unless there is a market growth strategy in there somewhere.
12-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flugelbinder Quote
My thoughts exactly. I've always thought photography gear to be (way) over-priced. One of the reasons why I left the Fuji system...
Plus, more new cameras you sell, more lenses and accessories will be requested.
Another important thing is to spread the brand and I think that more or less every Pentax user talks good about the brand.
It is a chain, maybe Ricoh decided that it is better to lose a little on cameras to earn more on lenses.
Another important factor is the total cost of developing a product, that go lower and lower every copy of product that you sell. What I mean is that if I spend 100 dollars to develop a new screen protector (yes, stupid example), I can estimate to sell 1000 of them in the first year, I will put 10 cents more on every copy to recover the cost. After I have sold 1000 pieces, I can lower the price of 10 cents earning exactly the same.
I think that on high technology products like a DSLR camera, this is the biggest cost .
Just my 2 cents.
12-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I think there are a couple of schools of thought in the move to lower prices. None of these are more important than the other in my opinion.

The cancellation of the K5IIs just seems to me to make business sense. Why market a camera in the same format to the same crowd and have all the overhead costs related to producing two 'similar' cameras? In ways the K5IIs was selling because the price point was lower than the K3... but in other ways it was cannibalizing Pentax's own revenues in their camera department.

What I think they did was cut the cost of the IIs out entirely and consolidated into one platform and kind of met consumers 'in the middle' on price.

I ALSO think that Ricoh wants to promote the Pentax name more. There is no time like Christmas time to have people spending bucks on trying out and buying new things. I believe the product speaks for itself, but the price cuts are a means to gain market share. Of course there are us Pentax devotees, but there are a lot of people wandering in the dark out there... and a good price on a camera like the K3 hopefully lures more people to try it. Once they try... the brand gains more and more clout. This clout building and the taking of market share is not an easy process nor is it a fast one...but from a business perspective I fully believe they used the Christmas season to get Pentax 'out there more' in front of many new faces and consumers. It's one thing for a guy like me to upgrade from a K5 to a K3... it's yet another to have someone who's never owned Pentax before to buy a K3.

I do also think that all the signs point to the release of a new camera body which will most likely be a full frame. I am pretty certain that anything they do release will be aimed clearly at making a splash. 36mp full frame camera with a K3 feel to it? That right there would propel Pentax right up there with the D810. With a release like that Pentax would all the sudden become a player. They could not be ignored or written off any longer. It would be like getting in the ring with Mike Tyson during his heyday and then kicking Mike's butt, but having announcers try to say 'but you're an unknown fighter!'....it just doesn't work like that although many pundents and camera devotees want it to.

My overall feel is that Ricoh is much more aggressive about getting Pentax out there in new hands...and to build (or rather rebuild) the brand...it's a slow and tedious process but I think we will look back in 5 years and go 'man, look at how far things have come along!!!'...They could easily double the Pentax user base in that time...
12-31-2014, 06:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Really good chance that they'll be releasing some new models within the next couple months (new high-end APSC & FF). Probably just selling as much as they can to make room.
12-31-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JP, on this thread... the price is USD 599.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/282882-pentax-k3-69...ml#post3098845

I am not sure if you can see it since someone from Quebec says you can not see the discount price from your area.

---------- Post added 12-31-2014 at 04:33 PM ----------

Are you thinking of Ricoh/Pentax fire sale an indication of bankruptcy or along the same line? I am not thinking about that instead I think it is a "strategy" that they want to show people that you can get a lot more camera with the price people otherwise would not get from Canikon cheap models.
Looks like it is still there and the item is located in Ontario .... so, 2 year-warranty with that.
$599.00 USD .... $696.26 in Cdn funds .
12-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Looks like it is still there and the item is located in Ontario .... so, 2 year-warranty with that.
$599.00 USD .... $696.26 in Cdn funds .
JP, I bought it from them on US BF at 619 USD... now it is even cheaper... I think it is a chance to get it if you want one.