Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Talk me out of it...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just saw where a reputable ebay dealer has some new K3's for $599 complete. (Body not kit)

I have a nice 1 year old K50, and a bunch of "new to me" lenses from forum members on the way (DA SMC 15, DA 35 f2.4, DA 55-300) and I need a laptop and some type of external reliable storage to preserve images on - but the siren call of a $600 K3 fills my brain.

What do I gain by getting a K3 now? I'm still not used to PP, and I really don't have a suitable computer for it. I understand many of the feature differences (24MP vs. 16), dual SD cards, AA filter simulation control, top LCD, etc.) But at my present state of rediscovery of Digital I'm not sure if I really need any of these things vs. spending money on Laptop and Drives and maybe a better tripod head.

Despite my love of the K3 design and my longing for a body with top LCD due to long experience with it on the PZ-1 and K100D Super, I am stuggling with desire vs. need here. Is there anything that sets the K3 apart from the K50 that impacts images - besides the 24MP and the AA filter simulation control?

12-31-2014, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

For what I understand, a much better AF system. That alone would make me upgrade from my K-5 II...
If I had the financial possibility, I wouldn't let that deal go away... Sorry, I know the thread title is "Talk me out of it", but...
12-31-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do it.
12-31-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Do it.
Hehehehe...

12-31-2014, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I understand many of the feature differences (24MP vs. 16), dual SD cards, AA filter simulation control, top LCD, etc.) But at my present state of rediscovery of Digital I'm not sure if I really need any of these things vs. spending money on Laptop and Drives and maybe a better tripod head.
I think you just answered your own question.

The k-3 is an amazing camera with a lot of features. But if you do not use them why spend the money? You will not see a huge difference in image quality. The 24mp is nice but do you need it?
12-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My k-30 (similar to the k-50):

My k-3:

k-3 @ ISO 8000 focused basically on the glass (see the little dust particles still resolved): https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8579/16065383021_e1d91337e8_o.jpg

12-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think you just answered your own question.

The k-3 is an amazing camera with a lot of features. But if you do not use them why spend the money? You will not see a huge difference in image quality. The 24mp is nice but do you need it?
I want - but do not need a K3 is my contention. I think I have things that will have more impact on my photography than a K3 body that I need to spend money on for now. But I want input and I appreciate the help in stepping through the process.

12-31-2014, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Sounds like you've yet to realize the full potential of your K-50. Yes, the K-3 is >MORE<, but you have plenty camera
with what you have now. Here's how I'd rationalize it: the K-3 won't get more expensive, it will only get more affordable
as time goes on. 6-12 months from now, when you know exactly the limit of your K-50 and are genuinely needing
something more, that K-3 replacement will be <$500.
12-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K30 and now a K3 also. Getting the K3 even helped me appreciate just how good the K30 (and K50 by extension). However, there are functions on the K3 that are really nice to have. For example, a lot more flexibility on how you trigger the shutter and use bracketing. The AF is better, and offers more options although the K30 is pretty decent. The camera is chock full of those kind of additional advantages. That said, the K30/50 has so much going for it, that there is no reason you can't do just fine with it under normal conditions. But, if you want the added flexibility that the K3 gives, $599 is an awesome price....one I wish I was able to get. BTW, just who the heck is selling new K-3s for $599?
12-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The other reason I should stick to the K50 is that my Dad just got one and is getting back into photography. He just bought a DA 70 and has a number of my older lenses. The fact that I have the exact same camera is a boon when he calls me for help.

---------- Post added 12-31-14 at 04:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I have a K30 and now a K3 also. Getting the K3 even helped me appreciate just how good the K30 (and K50 by extension). However, there are functions on the K3 that are really nice to have. For example, a lot more flexibility on how you trigger the shutter and use bracketing. The AF is better, and offers more options although the K30 is pretty decent. The camera is chock full of those kind of additional advantages. That said, the K30/50 has so much going for it, that there is no reason you can't do just fine with it under normal conditions. But, if you want the added flexibility that the K3 gives, $599 is an awesome price....one I wish I was able to get. BTW, just who the heck is selling new K-3s for $599?
Look in the Price Watch forum for the $699 K3 deal - it's $599 now.
12-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
BTW, just who the heck is selling new K-3s for $599?
Pentax K 3 23 4 MP Digital SLR Camera Black Body Only | eBay
12-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The other reason I should stick to the K50 is that my Dad just got one and is getting back into photography. He just bought a DA 70 and has a number of my older lenses. The fact that I have the exact same camera is a boon when he calls me for help.

---------- Post added 12-31-14 at 04:16 PM ----------

Look in the Price Watch forum for the $699 K3 deal - it's $599 now.
It all depends on your situation... I have the k-5/IIs and I want to take advantage of more pixels in the k-3 (among other advanced features) so I can crop. I shoot lots of events and people, and don't like shooting vertical position with flash. One important thing to keep in mind, a better camera does not always make your photos better, you still need the skills to do it. You could perhaps sell your k-50 once you get the new k-3 though.
12-31-2014, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I want - but do not need a K3 is my contention. I think I have things that will have more impact on my photography than a K3 body that I need to spend money on for now. But I want input and I appreciate the help in stepping through the process.

Here's the deal. I'm in a similar place in that I'd love to have a K-3 and it is enormously tempting but here's my thinking on it. First of all, if I had the K-3 I wouldn't use all the things that it does better than my still new K-50; it would make zero difference in my photography. The best tools are only better for someone who knows how to use them with the level of skill to take advantage of the superior features. Another thing is that the K-3 will still be here when you're ready for it, and probably at an even lower price point. By then its successor may well be out and available. The technology is not going away and the price is not going up. Buy it when you can use it to full advantage, in the meantime learn to use what you have and acquire the skill and tools to improve on that. When you outgrow it the next step will be right there waiting for you.
12-31-2014, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Here's the deal. I'm in a similar place in that I'd love to have a K-3 and it is enormously tempting but here's my thinking on it. First of all, if I had the K-3 I wouldn't use all the things that it does better than my still new K-50; it would make zero difference in my photography. The best tools are only better for someone who knows how to use them with the level of skill to take advantage of the superior features. Another thing is that the K-3 will still be here when you're ready for it, and probably at an even lower price point. By then its successor may well be out and available. The technology is not going away and the price is not going up. Buy it when you can use it to full advantage, in the meantime learn to use what you have and acquire the skill and tools to improve on that. When you outgrow it the next step will be right there waiting for you.
Very good answer.
12-31-2014, 03:27 PM   #15
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just saw where a reputable ebay dealer has some new K3's for $599 complete.
In answer to your request that I talk you out of it, the answer in "No, I won't". Lots of fancy reasons, I suppose, but that's the sum of them.

Last edited by jac; 12-31-2014 at 04:04 PM.