Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 and auto ISO

I have the auto ISO set to the normal mode on my new K-3, and it seems to me that it favors faster shutter speeds than previous models and climbs up the ISO ladder quicker when in auto-ISO. This is my impression after only handful of shots though. Is this anyone else's experience here?

12-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nope. I pic my ISO and shoot in AV.
12-31-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Right, I know I can do that, and often do. But, for those who use auto ISO, I'm wondering if this is their experience compared to prior models. Was wondering if Ricoh/Pentax changed their approach to auto ISO for this model.
12-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter

If you go into the menu tab 2 "ISO Sensitivity AUTO Setting" there is a setting for "slow/normal/fast". Not 100% sure what this does but may have some effect on what you are describing. I don't use auto ISO so I never played with it.

12-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have a specific lens lighting combo that you can test with both the K3 and an older model?
12-31-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I have it on normal. Was wondering though if the climb was a bit faster than default auto ISO of past cameras. I was wondering if this was to add speed to compensate for higher resolution that is less forgiving.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you go into the menu tab 2 "ISO Sensitivity AUTO Setting" there is a setting for "slow/normal/fast". Not 100% sure what this does but may have some effect on what you are describing. I don't use auto ISO so I never played with it.
12-31-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Yes, I have it on normal. Was wondering though if the climb was a bit faster than default auto ISO of past cameras. I was wondering if this was to add speed to compensate for higher resolution that is less forgiving.
No idea but you could try the 'slow' and see if it is closer to previous cameras.
12-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I should probably do something like that.

But, it was just a feeling I was getting compared to the K20D, K30 and K-01.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Do you have a specific lens lighting combo that you can test with both the K3 and an older model?

01-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, they do have the menu option so you can adjust the rate at which the ISO changes. With respect to the older cameras, perhaps that menu option has already been inadvertently changed to something favoring faster shutter speeds.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if the default is changed a bit due to the higher resolution and lack of AA filter.
10-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
in av mode it affects the minimum shutter speed the camera attempts to maintain relative to focal length. iso starts rising when you hit 1/30 at 35mm and 1/60 at 70mm if it's set to slow vs 1/125 and 1/250 when it's set to fast, for example.
10-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Spodeworld, I have had the exact same cameras as you have had previously. I can confirm what you are saying, but would describe it differently.

I found the K30/K01 metering to be less likely to overexpose in TAv mode - especially when auto-HC is enabled. On the K-3, I think auto-HC is nearly mandatory to avoid blow-outs (it never kicks in too soon, but doesn't always prevent blow-outs). Often, especially in higher contrast situations, I dial in either -0.3 or -0.7 to ensure best exposure. Obviously, this helps keep the ISO lower (as its the only variable in TAv mode). Accordingly, you will have a very slight increase of noise in the darkest shadow areas when lifting shadows in conversion - but this is a minor concern on a sensor that approaches ISO-less function to beyond 1000 ISO. The same logic applies to AV mode - which I use often, as well.

To give you an idea of how well this works, here's a difficult shot (sun just outside frame) that came out well with -0.7 dialed in. (Usually, I'm at -0.3.)
Taos Autumn Brilliance - James Robins - Powered by Phanfare