Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-3 Issue

Finally purchased a K-3 to replace my K20d from B&H before the holidays. When it arrived it kept freezing up on me in which I had to remove the batteries to turn off the camera. B&H was great and sent me a replacement but this one has a bad headphone jack. Am I having bad luck with the K-3 or is there a quality control issue? If I could get a working camera I would probably love it, but I am feeling a little disappointed. Does anyone know a fix to the headphone issue... Maybe something I missed in the settings? I would hate to return another camera.

v/r

Haden

01-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #2

And what's wrong with the jack?

BTW I am considering similar step, namely changing my K20D to K3, so when you finally have a good camera I think I will be very interested in all your observations. [;
01-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by hadenwc Quote
Finally purchased a K-3 to replace my K20d from B&H before the holidays. When it arrived it kept freezing up on me in which I had to remove the batteries to turn off the camera. B&H was great and sent me a replacement but this one has a bad headphone jack. Am I having bad luck with the K-3 or is there a quality control issue? If I could get a working camera I would probably love it, but I am feeling a little disappointed. Does anyone know a fix to the headphone issue... Maybe something I missed in the settings? I would hate to return another camera.

v/r

Haden
Hi Haden, sorry to hear of your issues. I can't help with the headphone question as I also ordered a K3 bundle from B&H and am expecting it next week. I hope I don't find similar issues. Hard to believe you experienced the mirror lockup problem at this stage. With all of the great pricing I figured ordering late in the holiday period should net me a copy with a very recent manufacturing date. Did you ever check that on the camera you returned or the second camera you received? Hopefully your headphone issue is something simple.
01-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I haven't heard of an issue with the headphone jack. In terms of freezing up, I assume you did the firmware update - there were some stability issues that the updates were supposed to address.

01-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mistahk Quote
And what's wrong with the jack?

BTW I am considering similar step, namely changing my K20D to K3, so when you finally have a good camera I think I will be very interested in all your observations. [;
So far, even with the one camera freezing and the other with a dead headphone port (only an issue in monitoring video), the K-3 is a huge improvement over the K20d.

---------- Post added 01-04-15 at 03:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by irishnutter Quote
Hi Haden, sorry to hear of your issues. I can't help with the headphone question as I also ordered a K3 bundle from B&H and am expecting it next week. I hope I don't find similar issues. Hard to believe you experienced the mirror lockup problem at this stage. With all of the great pricing I figured ordering late in the holiday period should net me a copy with a very recent manufacturing date. Did you ever check that on the camera you returned or the second camera you received? Hopefully your headphone issue is something simple.
I ordered the Pentax K-3 Prestige Edition cause I liked the gunmetal look and it was on sale. It came with the latest firmware loaded on the camera. Not sure if I should just get a standard K-3 with grip and extra battery or not...

---------- Post added 01-04-15 at 03:22 PM ----------

So far, even with the one camera freezing and the other with a dead headphone port (only an issue in monitoring video), the K-3 is a huge improvement over the K20d.

---------- Post added 01-04-15 at 03:15 PM ----------

I ordered the Pentax K-3 Prestige Edition cause I liked the gunmetal look and it was on sale. It came with the latest firmware loaded on the camera. Not sure if I should just get a standard K-3 with grip and extra battery or not...
Just re-read the question at the top.... Head phones will not play when plugged in, Camera will not switch over from internal speaker to headphones when plugged in... I have used several types of headphones but with no success.
01-04-2015, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

v/r

Haden
Sounds like bad luck to me. Third time's the charm!

One thing to check first: make sure the headphone/speaker volume is turned up. I don't recall if the K-3 has a separate setting for that or not, but it's worth looking in to.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

v/r

Haden
I have had the occasional freezing in one of my K3s. It was not a regular thing so I kept the camera. I have not done any video with either of them so I cannot comment on the headphone issue. Hope you get the problems solved as the K3 is a world class camera otherwise.

01-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My K-3 also freezes sometimes. Especially when working with Live View for a while. I never had it freeze when I used the viewfinder.
01-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Be sure you are not plugging the headphones into the audio in port. Some doofus that looks a lot like me did just this after getting the K-3 and wondered why things weren't working right. As for the freezing, episodes of this condition have stopped on my K-3 after installing of firmware 1.11. Instead it now resets which is what v1.11 is supposed to do.

Jack
01-05-2015, 01:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The port for a shutter release cable on the K-3 looks just like a headphone jack. Check the manual to make sure you're plugging in to the right port.
01-05-2015, 03:55 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
The port for a shutter release cable on the K-3 looks just like a headphone jack. Check the manual to make sure you're plugging in to the right port.
That would be hard thing to do to do as the port for the headphones is clearly marked with headphones icon. What's more the usual port for shutter release is micro while usual port for headphones is mini jack.
01-05-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I too, just took advantage of holiday pricing, and upgraded from the K20 to the K3. Luckily the body had had its firmware pre-updated. I love it, and you will too. Everything that bugged me ergonomically about the K20 seems to have been addressed in the K-3. That front dial and the AF button feel WAY more natural. Getting usable images at 800-1250 ISO has been great too. Hope you get your issues resolved soon, so you can start enoying it, as well. I've loved my k20, and as I acquire more primes, I'm going to play around with using 2 bodies.
01-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 2 K20Ds (going to unload one very soon) and a K3 now too. The K3 is awesome, but the K20D still has a really good use. I have a split screen focusing screen in it and it is really nice to use with fast manual focus primes. Still feels great in the hand, and with fast primes you usually are able to keep the ISO low enough that it still produces terrific shots.
01-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mistahk Quote
That would be hard thing to do to do as the port for the headphones is clearly marked with headphones icon. What's more the usual port for shutter release is micro while usual port for headphones is mini jack.
I just checked - you are correct. Just shows how much I don't use the headphone jack. Or headphones...
01-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I have 2 K20Ds (going to unload one very soon) and a K3 now too. The K3 is awesome, but the K20D still has a really good use. I have a split screen focusing screen in it and it is really nice to use with fast manual focus primes. Still feels great in the hand, and with fast primes you usually are able to keep the ISO low enough that it still produces terrific shots.
That's my hope! would you put wider primes on the K-3, and longer ones on the k20 (theory being more room for cropping/zooming with more MP)?