Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #16
Kiwi Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
OMG!!!!! it loaded the new firmware onto the K3!!!!!! I have NO idea why it finally worked or what actually happened. Many thanks to Adam and Ross for their patience and considerable assistance...... Oh my, I'm exhausted. I'll wait till tomorrow and reformat the SD card!! ;-)
That is very good news Bob. Success!!!

I can't wait until you get the photos you want of the owls using the TC and then post a few here to show us

01-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello Mrs Frogoutofwater....

I'm actually pretty tech savy just not with software or computer operating system interface. I'm pretty right brained and the logic and methodology of left brained code writers and software developers just doesn't "compute" to me so I have always struggled with computers even though my job depended on it for more than a couple decades. It's nobody's fault, I just think different. I tried Skype once..... I still have a dial phone on my wall that I much prefer to my iPhone...

Anyway, nice to hear from you and hope that you're enjoying those new toys you received for Xmas...
Oh dear. I'm sorry for suggesting that you're not tech-savvy. I read your post too quickly. Actually (and possibly at the risk of insulting you again), you sound like my dad, an engineer, who got his mind around all kinds of complicated tech and systems (and was an early adopter of many computer systems) - but who experienced a certain amount of frustration when he got his first iPad last year as a present. It's just such a different approach to what he was used to using that the early days were challenging. But once he got over the early hurdles, he was fine.

I used to have the most awesome pocket calculators as a kid because I'd inherit his cast-off programmable HP calculators. And of course he gave me my first computer

I'm glad you got it sorted out.
01-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #18
Forum Member

Great news Bob! Just in case you are not aware - it is better to format the SD card in the camera, not the computer!

Looking forward to seeing those photos - snowy owls are quite rare down here.

John
01-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gumbee Quote
Great news Bob! Just in case you are not aware - it is better to format the SD card in the camera, not the computer!

Looking forward to seeing those photos - snowy owls are quite rare down here.

John

We've been seeing them up here the last couple winters. Last Sunday we saw three in five minutes!! We also saw an even rarer Hawk Owl which is apparently spending the winter in Eau Claire...

I'll work on the photos as soon at the wind chill drops a bit below -30F.. And if I EVER upload my firmware again I'll try it with the SD card in the camera!

01-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #20
Forum Member

We had one snowy visit down here a couple winters ago - it really drew the crowds. He hasn't returned - I guess they don't enjoy the paparazzi.
01-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Oh dear. I'm sorry for suggesting that you're not tech-savvy. I read your post too quickly. Actually (and possibly at the risk of insulting you again), you sound like my dad, an engineer, who got his mind around all kinds of complicated tech and systems (and was an early adopter of many computer systems) - but who experienced a certain amount of frustration when he got his first iPad last year as a present. It's just such a different approach to what he was used to using that the early days were challenging. But once he got over the early hurdles, he was fine.

I used to have the most awesome pocket calculators as a kid because I'd inherit his cast-off programmable HP calculators. And of course he gave me my first computer

I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Oh Mrs Froggie.... you didn't insult me one bit. That really takes something.. ;-) I'm reasonably technical in a lot of ways I'm just not an Engineer. I did work closely with a lot of them and hired many of all persuasions. I grew to really admire Engineers. And they often display similar characteristics as the characters on the Big Bang Theory, as do I ;-) Anyway, I was pretty stressed out yesterday after trying unsuccessfully for two days to install the firmware update on to my K3. Fortunately, with the help of the good members of this forum I somehow got it to load today. Now I can continue my experimenting/learning with the K3.
01-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #22
Kiwi Pentaxian

Fortunately, with the help of the good members of this forum I somehow got it to load today.
One of whom is an engineer (civil not electrical)
01-06-2015, 11:48 PM   #23
Kiwi Pentaxian

I have just been showing my 11yo daughter they types of owls you are trying to photograph. I have to say, you do have very nice owl's in North America. We only have 2 species here in NZ - the Morepork (which doesn't live in the same part of NZ that I do) and the Little Owl, which is around here but I haven't seen. Both owls are quite small.

01-07-2015, 07:36 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I have just been showing my 11yo daughter they types of owls you are trying to photograph. I have to say, you do have very nice owl's in North America. We only have 2 species here in NZ - the Morepork (which doesn't live in the same part of NZ that I do) and the Little Owl, which is around here but I haven't seen. Both owls are quite small.

Yes there are many owls. My wife and I have seen 6 kinds so far and hope to add to the list as we travel around the states and Canada. You also have some very interesting birds in NZ which we hope to come and see someday!

Civil Engineer eh... When I was young I used to be a bridge construction inspector for the State. I loved it but it was tough being out in the weather year around......
01-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #25
Kiwi Pentaxian

Yes there are many owls. My wife and I have seen 6 kinds so far and hope to add to the list as we travel around the states and Canada. You also have some very interesting birds in NZ which we hope to come and see someday!
We do have some interesting birds. If you do ever come down this way let me know and I can suggest some good spots

Civil Engineer eh... When I was young I used to be a bridge construction inspector for the State. I loved it but it was tough being out in the weather year around......
I hear you - I have colleagues who have worked in your state, and apparently it can get a bit cold in the middle of winter.....
01-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #26
Site Supporter

My dad is a chemical engineer - he worked in the pulp and paper industry. I have these very fond memories of him down on the floor with our mechanical toys, figuring out how they work. And he used to make us amazing Halloween costumes (robots with flashing lights, etc). And I also liked watching him talk (in somewhat fractured French) to the winemakers in our winery tours in France - making paper is a lot like making wine, so they had a lot in common.

I started working for him on an ad hoc basis when I was about 10 - editing his reports to correct the grammar and spelling (not his strong suit).

Here is a little Saw Whet owl (about 6" tall) that I was fortunate to be able to photograph from about 2 feet away. He smashed into Lincoln Center (in NYC) and was taken to the Wild Bird Fund (where I volunteer) for a few days' R&R before being released in Central Park. His toes are a bit out of focus because I was using a really shallow depth of field because I couldn't use flash.
Attached Images

01-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #27

Be sure to keep the menu buttom on the bottom and then at the sametime with other hand turn power on.

---------- Post added 01-08-15 at 12:51 AM ----------

Be sure to keep the menu button on the bottom and at the sametime with other hand turn on the pover.
01-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
My dad is a chemical engineer - he worked in the pulp and paper industry. I have these very fond memories of him down on the floor with our mechanical toys, figuring out how they work. And he used to make us amazing Halloween costumes (robots with flashing lights, etc). And I also liked watching him talk (in somewhat fractured French) to the winemakers in our winery tours in France - making paper is a lot like making wine, so they had a lot in common.

I started working for him on an ad hoc basis when I was about 10 - editing his reports to correct the grammar and spelling (not his strong suit).

Here is a little Saw Whet owl (about 6" tall) that I was fortunate to be able to photograph from about 2 feet away. He smashed into Lincoln Center (in NYC) and was taken to the Wild Bird Fund (where I volunteer) for a few days' R&R before being released in Central Park. His toes are a bit out of focus because I was using a really shallow depth of field because I couldn't use flash.

Isn't that a beautiful owl. I've never been so close to an owl. Too bad he was a "hit" at the Lincoln Center... :-( Maybe he'll find a permanent home in in Central Park.
I always liked working with Engineers. Generally they're to the point, know how to sort out a problem and are solution oriented. You must have been good in math with all those calculators.... ya coulda been an engineer, or maybe you are? ;-)
01-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
We do have some interesting birds. If you do ever come down this way let me know and I can suggest some good spots

I hear you - I have colleagues who have worked in your state, and apparently it can get a bit cold in the middle of winter.....

Ross, If we ever get the chance to visit NZ to bird I will for sure let you know. I've always wanted to go there and see both big islands.

And yes, it does get really cold up here but its not all bad..

---------- Post added 01-07-15 at 08:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gumbee Quote
We had one snowy visit down here a couple winters ago - it really drew the crowds. He hasn't returned - I guess they don't enjoy the paparazzi.
The Snowy Owls may be a little shy but the Hawk Owl seems to enjoy a crowd!
01-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Isn't that a beautiful owl. I've never been so close to an owl. Too bad he was a "hit" at the Lincoln Center... :-( Maybe he'll find a permanent home in in Central Park.
I always liked working with Engineers. Generally they're to the point, know how to sort out a problem and are solution oriented. You must have been good in math with all those calculators.... ya coulda been an engineer, or maybe you are? ;-)
He was adorable and fierce. Volunteering with the rehabilitation group, I sometimes am lucky to get very close to some beautiful birds.
And this little guy was fine after a couple of days. We watched him zip away into the twilight in Central Park a little while after I took this photo.

And no, I am not an engineer (I was good at certain kinds of math but I never liked lab work and my spatial reasoning is weak). I play with words for a living.