Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 software upgrade

I'm looking for a K3 owner or any modern Pentax DSLR owner who I could meet with and pay to show me how to load the most recent software upgrade into my K3 so that I can use my new 1.4 TC with my DA*300. I have read the manual (which isn't written for old guys who've never owned a digital DSLR) and I've read the forums great review of the K3 and had read the advice given to me by members of the forum. In the end I have the latest firmware downloaded on both my Power Mac laptop as well as a HP windows laptop. I've tried installing via cable from the Mac to the camera and have tried on both the Mac and HP by attempting to install the firmware directly to the 32gig memory card installed in the laptops. I've tried for two days and have had it. There isn't a Pentax DSLR dealer within a 300 mile radius of where I live and there might be more Rollieflex owners than K3 owners in that same area. So there is nobody that I can ask, no place that I can take it to.

So, I'm looking for an owner of a modern Pentax DSLR within a 100 mile radius of either Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota or a 100 mile radius of Eau Claire Wisconsin. I will gladly pack up my laptop and K3 and go to the expert and PAY them to show me how to do this. I know several Canon and Nikon owners but I'm not going to ask them to show me how to use my Pentax. If there is anyone in the area please let me know.

Kindest regards, Bob

01-05-2015, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
I'm looking for a K3 owner or any modern Pentax DSLR owner who I could meet with and pay to show me how to load the most recent software upgrade into my K3 so that I can use my new 1.4 TC with my DA*300. I have read the manual (which isn't written for old guys who've never owned a digital DSLR) and I've read the forums great review of the K3 and had read the advice given to me by members of the forum. In the end I have the latest firmware downloaded on both my Power Mac laptop as well as a HP windows laptop. I've tried installing via cable from the Mac to the camera and have tried on both the Mac and HP by attempting to install the firmware directly to the 32gig memory card installed in the laptops. I've tried for two days and have had it. There isn't a Pentax DSLR dealer within a 300 mile radius of where I live and there might be more Rollieflex owners than K3 owners in that same area. So there is nobody that I can ask, no place that I can take it to.

So, I'm looking for an owner of a modern Pentax DSLR within a 100 mile radius of either Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota or a 100 mile radius of Eau Claire Wisconsin. I will gladly pack up my laptop and K3 and go to the expert and PAY them to show me how to do this. I know several Canon and Nikon owners but I'm not going to ask them to show me how to use my Pentax. If there is anyone in the area please let me know.

Kindest regards, Bob
Hi Bob,
Well, that's why we're all here to help The firmware update process is fairly simple so odds are you're overlooking a very small step along the way.

-When looking at your memory card, do you see a .BIN file outside of the DCIM folder?
-->If the firmware file doesn't have the .BIN extension, you will first need to extract it
-->If the firmware file is anywhere else on the card, it won't work. It needs to be in the root, outside of the DCIM folder.
-Are you inserting the card with the firmware into SD1, and is it the only card in the camera?
-What's your current firmware version?

Our step-by-step guides can be found here:
Pentax K-3 Firmware v1.11 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2015, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Bob there are instruction videos on Youtube and this site that take you through it step by step. The videos are pretty easy to follow.

I have my K3 updated to the latest firmware. The only hassle I can remember is that from memory you need to format your SD card, and then make sure it is the right file - unpack it and then have the right file name/file in the root directory. I have been caught once with this if I remember correctly.

I am sorry I am not within the radius you specify, or I would drop in.

Ross
01-05-2015, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I feel your frustration. I'm not tech-savvy either and find some things quite challenging with my camera.

If there is no one nearby, maybe you could Skype with someone and that would make it possible to walk through it step-by-step and you could also show each other what you're doing. Almost as good as hands-on assistance.

01-05-2015, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Bob,
I am a bit outside of the 100 mi ( a few miles south of Madison), but if you want I am sure we could get it done over the phone. PM me if you want to try.

John
01-06-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hi Bob,
Well, that's why we're all here to help The firmware update process is fairly simple so odds are you're overlooking a very small step along the way.

-When looking at your memory card, do you see a .BIN file outside of the DCIM folder?
-->If the firmware file doesn't have the .BIN extension, you will first need to extract it
-->If the firmware file is anywhere else on the card, it won't work. It needs to be in the root, outside of the DCIM folder.
-Are you inserting the card with the firmware into SD1, and is it the only card in the camera? Yes
-What's your current firmware version? 1.00

Our step-by-step guides can be found here:
Pentax K-3 Firmware v1.11 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Hi Adam,

Thank you for you considerate and kind response. I finally had to shut everything down yesterday after a couple days of extreme frustration and put it all away. I had downloaded the latest version of the firmware onto both an HP and Power Mac laptops. The 32gig memory card is new and formatted. On both computers I had both icons for "k3_111.zip.download" and "fwdc220b-1bin". I have tried connecting the laptop to the camera to install the firmware as well as taking the memory card and installing it in the slot on the computer to update to the card. On the HP I only tried by putting the card into the slot on the computer. Once the K3 icon appeared on the screens of each computer I tried installing the update by dragging the k3_111.zip.download into the K3 icon. I tried both the k3_111.zip.download and fwdc220b-1bin icons into the K3 icon and I tried only the fwdc220b-1bin icon. Each time starting all over and installing the card into the camera and turning the camera on while pressing the OK button. Every time I got the normal startup screen and nothing else.....

It states that the firmware file must be installed into the "root directory" of the SD card.... I don't believe that I have ever seen the words "root directory" on any Mac computer anywhere ever. I'm sure willing to do it but it isn't apparent to me at least.

As you might imagine I'm very frustrated to say the least. I went from my Spotmatic to the K3 with no digital camera experience in between so I essentially skipped the 13 or 14 years of gradual learning of the developing technology. The K3 is simple to those who have been shooting digital for years but for a complete newbie it is a real challenge. I'm going to start from scratch one more time today and slowly and calmly with a large glass of Jack go through all the possible iterations that I can think of. If that doesn't work then I'll either find someone in person or pack the whole thing up and send it to Ricoh in Colorado and pay them to do it. Life is short (especially for a guy my age) and I want to start using my new TC.... Oh... the firmware on my camera is ver:1.00

Again, thank you so much for being such a helpful and considerate person. I really appreciate it. Bob

---------- Post added 01-06-15 at 09:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Bob there are instruction videos on Youtube and this site that take you through it step by step. The videos are pretty easy to follow.

I have my K3 updated to the latest firmware. The only hassle I can remember is that from memory you need to format your SD card, and then make sure it is the right file - unpack it and then have the right file name/file in the root directory. I have been caught once with this if I remember correctly.

I am sorry I am not within the radius you specify, or I would drop in.

Ross
Thank you Ross,

Yes, formatting the SD card was a little frustrating but eventually became clear to me. Installing the update into the root directory has been the biggest problem. Somehow I'll find that darn root cellar... ;-)

---------- Post added 01-06-15 at 09:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
I feel your frustration. I'm not tech-savvy either and find some things quite challenging with my camera.

If there is no one nearby, maybe you could Skype with someone and that would make it possible to walk through it step-by-step and you could also show each other what you're doing. Almost as good as hands-on assistance.

Hello Mrs Frogoutofwater....

I'm actually pretty tech savy just not with software or computer operating system interface. I'm pretty right brained and the logic and methodology of left brained code writers and software developers just doesn't "compute" to me so I have always struggled with computers even though my job depended on it for more than a couple decades. It's nobody's fault, I just think different. I tried Skype once..... I still have a dial phone on my wall that I much prefer to my iPhone...

Anyway, nice to hear from you and hope that you're enjoying those new toys you received for Xmas...

---------- Post added 01-06-15 at 09:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gumbee Quote
Bob,
I am a bit outside of the 100 mi ( a few miles south of Madison), but if you want I am sure we could get it done over the phone. PM me if you want to try.

John

Hello John, Thanks so much for responding. Now I know that there is another Pentax person in Wisconsin that I can contact! I'm going to try the whole process again today and if all fails I'll PM you this evening. We've got a number of Snowy Owls and one Hawk Owl up here and I want to get some pictures of it before they disappear so I need that latest version of firmware...

01-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Ross,

Yes, formatting the SD card was a little frustrating but eventually became clear to me. Installing the update into the root directory has been the biggest problem. Somehow I'll find that darn root cellar... ;-)
Hi Bob,

The root directory is the easy bit really (it is just terminology) - it is the top directory of the SD card - like the C drive in the computer (before any folders). Just make sure you put the .bin file (unpacked from the .zip file) into the newly formatted SD card, not any folder.

From your description above it sounds like you are trying to transfer the file onto the K3 via a cable. I have never tried that - I just copy it onto the SD card using my computer then put the SD card into the K3 - it is never hooked up to the computer at the same time.

Then put the SD card into slot 1 of the K3, hold down the menu key as you turn it on, and you should be good - that part is all on the video the Adam linked to.

Wishing you every success with the upgrade.

Ross

01-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I've read everything I could find. I now know where or what the root file is and have tried a couple different versions of "how" to drag the fwdc220b,bin file into the K3 icon with no change whatsoever other than I can now no longer extract the SD card from the K3 without the use of tweezers and then just barely. Its looking like I'm going to have to pack it up and send it to that wonderful repair place everyone has been talking about......... not happy....
01-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, putting aside the SD card needs a jiggle or two.

If you have the .bin file on the SD card in the right place and in the camera you are nearly there.
You don't have to drag the file anywhere.
Make sure the camera is not connected to the computer.
Turn the K3 off.
Hold down the menu button (and keep it held down) and turn the K3 on
The firmware update menu will appear and you will be away.
Give it a try
01-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, putting aside the SD card needs a jiggle or two.

If you have the .bin file on the SD card in the right place and in the camera you are nearly there.
You don't have to drag the file anywhere.
Make sure the camera is not connected to the computer.
Turn the K3 off.
Hold down the menu button (and keep it held down) and turn the K3 on
The firmware update menu will appear and you will be away.
Give it a try
I have the card in the SD slot on my Mac. The K3 icon is on the screen. I have clicked on it which opened the devices box which shows a DCIM folder for the K3 and a zip file titled fwdc220b-1.bin. I have tried every possible way to find the top of the root file but this is all I get...

01-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #11
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Bob,

I think you have everything right then. The .bin file should be in the K3 named SD card next to the DCIM folder. That is the root directory - the top one. So all you need to do now is put that card in the K3 camera, hold down the menu button and keep it held down as you turn on the power.
01-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Once the K3 icon appeared on the screens of each computer I tried installing the update by dragging the k3_111.zip.download into the K3 icon.
You need to double click on the .zip first, locate the .bin file, then copy the .bin over to your camera. Then the update should work

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bob,

I think you have everything right then. The .bin file should be in the K3 named SD card next to the DCIM folder. That is the root directory - the top one. So all you need to do now is put that card in the K3 camera, hold down the menu button and keep it held down as you turn on the power.

That's exactly the case. When K3 is opened it shows the DCIM folder and then next to it is the fwdc220b-.bin firmware upgrade. I'll close it, eject K3 from the laptop and put it in the camera and follow the start up again. I think I've done this maybe six times.... :-(

---------- Post added 01-06-15 at 01:35 PM ----------

Well................... this time I turned the camera on while holding down the menu button and have a black screen with "memory card error" shown.....

---------- Post added 01-06-15 at 01:40 PM ----------

That's exactly the case. When K3 is opened it shows the DCIM folder and then next to it is the fwdc220b-.bin firmware upgrade. I'll close it, eject K3 from the laptop and put it in the camera and follow the start up again. I think I've done this maybe six times.... :-(

---------- Post added 01-06-15 at 01:35 PM ----------

Well................... this time I turned the camera on while holding down the menu button and have a black screen with "memory card error" shown.....
Adam, everytime I double click on the bin file whether its in the K3 folder or out on the computer screen all the computer does is make another copy of the din file. This happens both on the windows computer and on the Mac.........
01-06-2015, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #14
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam, everytime I double click on the bin file whether its in the K3 folder or out on the computer screen all the computer does is make another copy of the din file. This happens both on the windows computer and on the Mac.........
Bob, I have been caught with that issue too - on a Mac it will extract another copy of the .bin file and give it the name with a (1) appended at the end of the file i.e. fwdc220b-(1).bin. If that happens then the camera will not recognise the .bin file name. It has to be the original .bin file name on the SD card.
01-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bob, I have been caught with that issue too - on a Mac it will extract another copy of the .bin file and give it the name with a (1) appended at the end of the file i.e. fwdc220b-(1).bin. If that happens then the camera will not recognise the .bin file name. It has to be the original .bin file name on the SD card.
Good call.....!! I have 22 copies of the bin file already in the trash due to the computer copying it every time I try to unzip it or open it. I have now put the original file in the K3 file/folder and will give it a try. I've done this so many times I think I'm screwing up the card slot on the K3.... :-(

---------- Post added 01-06-15 at 02:17 PM ----------

OMG!!!!! it loaded the new firmware onto the K3!!!!!! I have NO idea why it finally worked or what actually happened. Many thanks to Adam and Ross for their patience and considerable assistance...... Oh my, I'm exhausted. I'll wait till tomorrow and reformat the SD card!! ;-)