Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
Saying that takes me back to my K-r. That clearly stated when the shutter was active!
I thought my K-5 was defective at first when I moved from the K-r to it

01-06-2015, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My thanks to all those who posted.
Congratulations on making it to page 2 with no negative responses. Bravo to the fantastic Pentax K-3 camera.
(Mine arrives tomorrow and I feel better about it already!)
01-06-2015, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
PLEASE STAND UP

In DSLRs I have been fortunate to have owned a great K-r, that is now with another member of this forum, and have enjoyed the learning curve that came with upgrading to a K-5. I love my K-5 so much that looking at the warranty card the other day, I noticed that this in the year it expires and I should get the free service done. I don't know if I want to send it off for this. "if it aint broke......comes to mind.

Am I lucky?
Maybe. Do I always get the exact result I am looking for? Well....No......
But I don't for a minute think its the camera or lens fault! (well, maybe if it was full frame)
I have so far been very happy with all my Pentax purchases. Be it a lens or a body, they just work. I go out in the hot summer days and it all works, I go out at 3 am in the middle of winter in Maryland and stand in a field for a couple of hours with my K-5 doing its thing. It works.

Now I notice the price of a K-3 is so low its hard to pass up, BUT, all I read is headlines with this and that problem. Floppy mirrors and ISO Noise so loud you cant hear yourself think! There is even a review on Amazon that states the shutter is SO MUCH Louder than a K-5?????????

To make a long story short (if its not too late)

If you're HAPPY WITH YOUR K-3
Let us all know!
It does not make sense to worry about the problems (such as mirror flap, ISO noise etc.) on k-3 at the late production cycle (it's been introduced for over a year) unless you are buying used. Would any camera manufacturer keep the production line going without addressing the issue on a broad base?

Anyway, back to the comparing k-3 vs k-5/IIs; I have all three, k-3 is by far the best, with better AF system and better metering system (more accurate) especially under tungsten light condition. I also do not notice any difference in terms of shutter sound, if any, it would less loud than the k-5/IIs.
01-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I love it. upgraded from K-7

01-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
It does not make sense to worry about the problems
Aleonx3, thanks for the response. You are right, why worry?
I don't. I base this on what I have had experience with so far. I only wanted to point out that after the one year mark of production there is still so much negativity. Some people have had legitimate issues, some issues have been addressed by firmware updates, but the vast majority of the negative reviews are probably not the fault of the equipment after all.
01-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Would any camera manufacturer keep the production line going without addressing the issue on a broad base?
I can't think of any at the moment. I wonder if folks at nikonforums might be able to point one out...
01-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #22
Pentaxian

*Stands up* It's a solid performer that takes excellent photos. The only reason why I don't take it out as often as I'd like to is the 24 MP files. I suppose buying a higher capacity HD would alleviate my worries.

01-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
I can't think of any at the moment. I wonder if folks at nikonforums might be able to point one out...
A good example in recent years would be D600, Nikon updated the model to D610 (a replacement of the faulty D600) soon after the user community uncover some issues. Of course, that is a different case from k-3 which is still in production; D600 is not. So back to the original question, unless you are into a 'used' camera market, buying new (not old stock) will likely be free of any previously identified flaws.

Last edited by aleonx3; 01-06-2015 at 08:41 PM.
01-06-2015, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I started with K-30 and now it's more than one month which I have the K-3
Speaking of noise, I love the way K-3's noise is at ISO1600, below that it's barely noticeable.
This was shot at ISO1600, with no NR applied!

01-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Speaking of noise, I love the way K-3's noise is at ISO1600, below that it's barely noticeable.

Nice shot!!
01-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I upgraded from an original K5 and I see a big difference. I am loving it.

I have said it in other places... but I will say it here too.... The biggest improvement of all is that the AF is faster, quieter, and more accurate. It has made my lenses all have brand new life. Where my K5 would hunt before... my K3 does not.

I also like that there is a lot more detail (no anti alias filter and more MP)... I am loving my new K3...
Alamo, I am taking your lead. I just purchased a brand new K-3 with warranty from popflash for $655! I bought the last one

Looks like I'll have a K-5 and grip to sell on the marketplace....

---------- Post added 01-06-15 at 09:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote

That shot is awesome sharp. I'm going to have to get a D FA 100 macro. I might have to lose the DA*50-135 to get it though
01-06-2015, 08:45 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
*Stands up* It's a solid performer that takes excellent photos. The only reason why I don't take it out as often as I'd like to is the 24 MP files. I suppose buying a higher capacity HD would alleviate my worries.
BuyDig.com - Samsung PRO 16GB Class 10 SDHC Memory Card 2-Pack (Up to 90MB/s)

This is a good deal right now.
01-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've had my K3 for a short time now, and I'm generally happy with it except for two minor issues:
1. Having different SD cards (capacity and/or brand) in the two slots seems to cause the camera to think that the card in the second slot is unformatted from time to time. Using identical cards seems to resolve the issue. This issue is related to the mode where the RAW file goes to SD1 and the JPG to SD2. Turning the camera off and on again resolves the issue, but doesn't prevent it from recurring.
2. The camera may not be entirely compatible with my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens. It periodically stops talking to the lens and prompts for a focal length. Removing and replacing the lens resolves the problem, but doesn't prevent it from recurring. This issue hasn't occurred with a genuine Pentax lens.

With respect to the specifics you asked about:
1. I haven't noticed that the shutter release is loud. It didn't seem significantly different in volume to the K5iis.
2. I have been astonished how low the sensor noise is on the K3 considering the higher resolution.

I'm generally very happy with the camera, and the K5iis has seen little use since I got the K3.
01-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Alamo, I am taking your lead. I just purchased a brand new K-3 with warranty from popflash for $655! I bought the last one
I am glad to be of service That said there is more than just me singing the praises of the K3...
01-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #30

Here's standing up and waving hands ... I went from a K-5 to the K-3 and would never ever go back. The K-3 is much more responsive (not only in terms of AF), the shutter is quiet and the sound is not distracting at all. The K-3 is just a better camera, in almost every respect and I am extremely happy with it.