Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2015, 11:58 PM   #46

Coming from an entry level Nikon D3000, yes I'm very happy. Ergonomics, build quality, ISO performance, image quality, adaptability of film lenses, autofocus speed of the 18-135 vs Nikon's 18-55 and 55-200, extensive feature set, size, etc etc etc. There's much I need to get used to with Pentax system but it's all good.

The only thing at this point that I'm not happy with is now I'm finding myself needing to pick up new items, like a new camera bag and more lenses.

01-10-2015, 12:30 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cgchang Quote
Coming from an entry level Nikon D3000, yes I'm very happy. Ergonomics, build quality, ISO performance, image quality, adaptability of film lenses, autofocus speed of the 18-135 vs Nikon's 18-55 and 55-200, extensive feature set, size, etc etc etc. There's much I need to get used to with Pentax system but it's all good.

The only thing at this point that I'm not happy with is now I'm finding myself needing to pick up new items, like a new camera bag and more lenses.
Glad you like the K-3 I know I do so far. As for bags and kit...Look at the Pentax deals listing. Docrwm seems to find and post the best and most helpful deals. I know he has saved me enough I should be buying him his next camera SHHH Don't tell him!
01-10-2015, 05:56 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
Glad you like the K-3 I know I do so far. As for bags and kit...Look at the Pentax deals listing. Docrwm seems to find and post the best and most helpful deals. I know he has saved me enough I should be buying him his next camera SHHH Don't tell him!
I won't tell him.
01-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Upgraded from K-7 to K-3. I've been extremely pleased with the K-3 in all aspects except AF performance. I bought it primarily for improved AF (I shoot lots of track and field/cross-country) but found the camera's AF performance to be a bit of a disappointment. AF-C of runners has been hit-or-miss, even in simple conditions e.g. a solitary runner against an uncluttered background. Sometimes it fails to adjust focus as the runner comes closer, other times it fails to achieve focus at all, yet happily fires off a burst of frames all out of focus. (This is with a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM zoom). I continue to practice my technique, and adjust AF settings, but this type of action shouldn't be a problem for the K-3. I've had no problems with AF-S, it's just AF-C that has been disappointing.

In all other respects, the K-3 has been outstanding for my needs. I didn't think that 24MP would be all that important to me, but I'm in love with the extreme detail it provides. Lack of AA filter increases detail even more. RAW files are very forgiving to work with, and white balance has been greatly improved.

No lockups, no mirror-flap issues - solid as a rock. The camera feels exactly right in my hands, and the shutter is quieter than the K-7 (if a little more metallic sounding).

Love the K-3, just wishing for better AF-C performance.