Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your K-3 makes you happy.......

PLEASE STAND UP

In DSLRs I have been fortunate to have owned a great K-r, that is now with another member of this forum, and have enjoyed the learning curve that came with upgrading to a K-5. I love my K-5 so much that looking at the warranty card the other day, I noticed that this in the year it expires and I should get the free service done. I don't know if I want to send it off for this. "if it aint broke......comes to mind.

Am I lucky?
Maybe. Do I always get the exact result I am looking for? Well....No......
But I don't for a minute think its the camera or lens fault! (well, maybe if it was full frame)
I have so far been very happy with all my Pentax purchases. Be it a lens or a body, they just work. I go out in the hot summer days and it all works, I go out at 3 am in the middle of winter in Maryland and stand in a field for a couple of hours with my K-5 doing its thing. It works.

Now I notice the price of a K-3 is so low its hard to pass up, BUT, all I read is headlines with this and that problem. Floppy mirrors and ISO Noise so loud you cant hear yourself think! There is even a review on Amazon that states the shutter is SO MUCH Louder than a K-5?????????

To make a long story short (if its not too late)

If you're HAPPY WITH YOUR K-3
Let us all know!

01-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I upgraded from an original K5 and I see a big difference. I am loving it.

I have said it in other places... but I will say it here too.... The biggest improvement of all is that the AF is faster, quieter, and more accurate. It has made my lenses all have brand new life. Where my K5 would hunt before... my K3 does not.

I also like that there is a lot more detail (no anti alias filter and more MP)... I am loving my new K3...
01-06-2015, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started with the K-x - loved it. Moved to the K-r - didn't. Upgraded to the K-5 and learned a lot. Moved to the K-5iis and love it. Now I have the K-3 and am astounded.
01-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Alamo5000 and Docrwm, any issue with shutter noise over a K-5?

01-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #5

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
Do you like your K3?

Extremely!!
01-06-2015, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
Now I notice the price of a K-3 is so low its hard to pass up,
An amazing price for what you get.
all I read is headlines with this and that problem
FUD, spread by trolls from other manufacturers
Floppy mirrors
Had it happen twice, in 15,000 exposures. Firmware update supposedly fixes it anyway. More FUD.
ISO Noise so loud you cant hear yourself think!
Noise is more prevalent at the native resolution, 24mp. Downsize to the 16MP of the k-5 and it is the same or less. More FUD. Just add maybe +20 noise reduction in LR and you will never notice the noise.
There is even a review on Amazon that states the shutter is SO MUCH Louder than a K-5?????????
BS. The shutter on the k-3 is worth the price all by itself, it is simply music to the ears.

Every time I see someone with 5 posts complaining about all the bad k-3 reviews I ask where they saw them. Not once out of I think 6 posts have the posters come back to actually back up their BS. I really do not understand people who feel their brand is so threatened they have to come on here to trash a camera.

I have both the k-5IIs and k-3. K-5IIs is a great camera. K-3 is better. Moving up from the k-5 you will see a noticeable difference in AF especially in low light. The camera is faster and more responsive despite having more MP. The K-5IIs is in my backup bag and rarely gets used since the k-3 arrived.

One point to make though is that k-3 uses a different sensor. If you (or any reviewer) uses their k-5 develop presets things will not look as good as they should. It took me a while to understand this but you need to toss you k-5 presets and start over. The sensor is different and requires different PP to get the best out of it. I think some of those 'bad' reviews are caused by internet reviewers pulling the camera out of the box take a couple snaps and run them through their old presets.

Sorry for the rant, I am just totally fed up with the BS spread by a few who feel threatened because Pentax actually had the gall to make a camera better than their precious brand.

So to answer your question: YES I love my k-3.
01-06-2015, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

No noticeable difference. Still whisper quiet.

01-06-2015, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I still love my K20D and K-5 but I can't bring myself to shoot with them. The K-3 just has that "je ne sais quoi".
01-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #9

The K-3 is my first DSLR (I also bought an RX100II maybe six or seven months prior to it) and damn, I LOVE it. Are there better cameras? Sure. Do I need them? Nope. Can I afford them? Hell nope. K-3 is perfect for me!
01-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sorry, just had to post this because of the thread title
01-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I just did a side by side comparison and the two cameras make a different type of sound but one is not substantially louder than the other.

I don't know how to describe 'sound' on the internet but I will give it a shot...

The (original) K5 has a deeper 'thunk' shutter sound. The K3 has a higher pitched 'click'. If you set them next to some high dollar decible meter you might be able to discern some 'volume' difference... but one is not substantially louder than the other. They do make two different types of sound though...

I can do more testing if I need to but that's what I have noticed so far. I will do a more formal test if I need to doing things like making sure the shutter speed is the same... but to me it's really a non issue.

Why anyone would complain about 'shutter noise' I don't know...
01-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote

Why anyone would complain about 'shutter noise' I don't know...
It's a big deal for people shooting in silent environments, like concerts, lecture halls, weddings in church etc. Actually, it's a huge one, which is why many cameras have a silent mode. So something silent that additionally muffles well into environment, like lower pitch, is typically better.
01-06-2015, 07:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was once told, to move sheep one had to make the sound of a blade of grass! I guess to the owner on Amazon, the K-3 was louder than the K-5. For me, the K-5 makes just enough noise, in a silent room, to know it worked. I believe our own PF review stated a quieter shutter with more damping on the K-3.

Thank you for clarifying the different sound types Alamo5000.
01-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
It's a big deal for people shooting in silent environments, like concerts, lecture halls, weddings in church etc. Actually, it's a huge one, which is why many cameras have a silent mode. So something silent that additionally muffles well into environment, like lower pitch, is typically better.
I could see that...

But in comparing the two at the same shutter speed the K3 is a slight bit higher pitched... if someone was standing right next to you they would hear the click but they would hear the 'thud' of the K5 too...

For me the difference is marginal at best.
01-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Saying that takes me back to my K-r. That clearly stated when the shutter was active!