Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2015, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Ricoh!

When I pre-ordered my K3 last October, I did so with the idea that I would be able to learn it and be comfortable with it to be able to really help record my daughter's final year in her competitive "career" in her last year of high school. The last season has just started with a couple of preliminary events already having passed in December.

Imagine my dismay when for the first competition for the season when setting up the camera at the event that it wouldn't start. Two fresh batteries and the camera was deader then a door knob. I had last used the camera to format the data cards in the camera the night before and had not noticed any issues. In a panic, I went to the only Pentax dealer in Michigan and was praying that they might think of something I didn't (or maybe had a AC power adapter in case there really was a problem with my batteries). They were great, but couldn't help (and by-the-way, at the time I ordered the camera, they did not carry the Pentax line, I think this camera model prompted them to do that).

What opportunity lost! I have missed 3 events and the chance to show off a good friend's Nikon 7000 because it had to be sent in for repairs. I feel bad for the store but I call their repair guy almost every other day, I just feel so naked without the camera! It just eats me up! Not to mention being able to supply the local paper with some of those pictures.

While I still don't have the camera, I was very worried about any potential costs. I showed the local store my paperwork, and the camera basically failed 1 day less than 1 month out of warranty from the date I received the camera from NY. I will learn more about it's issues after I get it back, but was told that the "motherboard" needed to be replaced at an approximate cost of $400!

I feel so lucky/blessed that when "pestering" the store today I found out that Ricoh will honor it as a warranty item! I realize that not everyone's experience will be similar, or their situation would be similar to mine. But it is a tremendous relief to know that in that good will/gesture on Ricoh's behalf that I think we can feel that it is good to know that they do stand behind their products! (Could it be something with the first batch of cameras since it was pre-ordered?)

---------- Post added 01-07-15 at 11:55 AM ----------

Just so you know, the following are a couple of examples I took last season. I think I showed off the only other parent who had a daughter on the team with the K3. He has a gen 2 Canon 5D and I think the K3 has a faster frame rate, and better ISO sensitivity and is a quarter of the cost!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/jTiG61]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/iXuWmP]

01-07-2015, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Good to hear. Im glad they came through for ya !
I say put the Nikkonians in their place !
I just had my very first experience at showing off my K3 to a Canon guy.....I doubt we will be talking much in the future....lol.
Thought he was gonna wet his pants when I bragged about the low cost of my K3 compared to his Canon "whatchamacallit".......
Nothing beats a proud parent !
01-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry about your camera but glad Pentax is doing the repair as a warranty issue.