Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF.A vs AF.C

Has anyone experimented enough with these two focus modes to get a sense of their real-world differences and where one actually performs better than the other? I understand the theoretical differences, but wondering what experience is showing us. (For example, Nikon has the same two modes. I've found that that AF-C works well enough on the D7000 that I just leave it on that mode.)

01-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Really three modes on the K50 at least does the K3 only have the two? I use AF.S almost all the time unless I plan to take photos of something moving - this is annoying and I ought to try AF.A to see if it works well enough for my needs.
01-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Has anyone experimented enough with these two focus modes to get a sense of their real-world differences and where one actually performs better than the other? I understand the theoretical differences, but wondering what experience is showing us. (For example, Nikon has the same two modes. I've found that that AF-C works well enough on the D7000 that I just leave it on that mode.)
Mr.photouniverse on youtube states that the AFA has problems and you may get blurry out of focus shots. He recommends AF-S. He also recommends that you Disable the AUTO feature on High ISO NR (noise reduction).
01-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

AF.A is mainly for beginners as far as I can see. If you understand how each mode works, you should be switching between AF-S and AF-C depending on the situation (and most of the time, it will call for AF-S). I wouldn't stay in AF-C unless you're shooting moving objects.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I understand. AF.C with back button focus would be the ideal way to go, assuming that continuous focus is quick and accurate. This way, unless you hold the AF-L button down, it would act like AF.S. And, if there is subject movement, holding the button down takes advantage of the refocusing capabilities (AF.C engaged). This approach requires that AF.C works really well. I do that on the D7000, and found it to be very workable.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AF.A is mainly for beginners as far as I can see. If you understand how each mode works, you should be switching between AF-S and AF-C depending on the situation (and most of the time, it will call for AF-S). I wouldn't stay in AF-C unless you're shooting moving objects.
01-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I understand. AF.C with back button focus would be the ideal way to go, assuming that continuous focus is quick and accurate. This way, unless you hold the AF-L button down, it would act like AF.S. And, if there is subject movement, holding the button down takes advantage of the refocusing capabilities (AF.C engaged). This approach requires that AF.C works really well. I do that on the D7000, and found it to be very workable.
It took some getting used to, but now I use the back button focus with AF set to AF.C and SEL M all the time. I find it to work really good.

Last edited by Tjompen1968; 01-07-2015 at 05:05 PM.
01-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Concur. I normally use AF.S and AF.C for my wildlife photography
01-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tjompen1968 Quote
it took some getting used to, but now i use the back button focus with af set to af.c and sel m all the time. I find it to work really good.
sel m?????

01-07-2015, 10:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also use back focusing. My only beef against it is that you always have to remember disabling it for CIF to work.

Also, I don't get the AF-C while using BF and I stick to AF-S. What am I missing? Can anybody enlighten me on this one?
01-08-2015, 04:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
sel m?????
Page 44 in the manual.

---------- Post added 01-08-15 at 12:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I also use back focusing. My only beef against it is that you always have to remember disabling it for CIF to work.

Also, I don't get the AF-C while using BF and I stick to AF-S. What am I missing? Can anybody enlighten me on this one?
I do not understand "I don't get the AF-C while using BF" What is BF and what do you mean with don´t get AF-C?
01-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I think BF is back button focus.

I think the point is that the person does not understand why people like this method.
01-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Ok. Thanks for the translation.
01-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Using AF.C and back button focus gives you the best of AF.S and AF.C (in theory). Hold and let go, it acts like AF.S (good for stationary object). Continue to hold and it acts like AF.C (good for moving object).

This assumes that AF.C is well implemented.

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote

01-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Using AF.C and back button focus gives you the best of AF.S and AF.C (in theory). Hold and let go, it acts like AF.S (good for stationary object). Continue to hold and it acts like AF.C (good for moving object).

This assumes that AF.C is well implemented.
I tried this on my K-5 and didn't find it to work particularly well, it seemed that my focus keeper rate went down immediately. I went back to AF.S and BBF which is fine for me since I rarely shoot moving objects.
01-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Mr.photouniverse on youtube states that the AFA has problems and you may get blurry out of focus shots. He recommends AF-S. He also recommends that you Disable the AUTO feature on High ISO NR (noise reduction).
Mr. Photouniverse? Umm. Watched 15 seconds and he summed up the camera, by saying, "There isn't much to say. Its a K-5 tweak."

Well, if someone is that unknowing about the product, why would we value his recommended settings? Yes, AF.S for most situations is correct. While I agree that it is probably best to disable AUTO NR at any ISO setting if you're into making the adjustments on your own, some folks might want to save post-processing time if they find a NR setting to their liking. Not sure I'd single that out for recommendation when its a personal preference situation.