Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #1

UI inconsistencies

Just got my K3 yesterday (BH bundle). Overall, love the feel and general ergonomics and have been reading the various recommended settings threads and exploring myself as well. For all of the complexity, I find it quite easy to quickly find and change virtually any setting. For now, I'm using P-Hyper modes (with auto EV comp turned on to ensure I take good exposures). Anxious to check out the in-camera HDR and one-touch bracketing.

I knew about some of the UI issues raised in other reviews, e.g., some buttons you press and then have a time window to use an e-dial while others require you to hold the button while using an e-dial. But I noticed other things too.

For example, why after renaming a user mode, does it not display that name on the info/status screen? (At least it does show it while switching modes).

Also, I expected changing a setting on the control panel to be temporary (maintained across a sleep cycle but not a power cycle) vs. going into the menu settings to male a permanent change. It works as expected in a user mode but in any of the other modes, any setting made on the control panel seems permanent. That just seems odd unless I missed some setting that actually controls this behavior?

I know there are some e-books out there but am hoping to find a thread here that summarizes why/how-to-use various settings. Most of them are pretty obvious (either from previous camera experience, the manual or the guide) but I have run across a few that I had no idea.

01-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by irishnutter Quote
That just seems odd unless I missed some setting that actually controls this behavior?
There is a whole section of the menu that lets you select which features 'stick' during power off and which do not. Best of both worlds. Don't have the camera handy to tell you which menu page but it's not hard to find.
01-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
There is a whole section of the menu that lets you select which features 'stick' during power off and which do not. Best of both worlds. Don't have the camera handy to tell you which menu page but it's not hard to find.
Thanks jatrax. I just looked again and didn't see it. I'm sure it's cockpit error although even if there is a setting for this, it should work consistently (I would think) across both user and standard modes and it doesn't at least in its default setting.
01-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
user and standard modes
If I remember correctly each mode has it's own settings. I am sure the user modes have their own settings, that is the point of user modes. You can set up things in a user mode for situations you do not usually use with the turn of a dial instead of going into the menu and changing a dozen settings. So the settings in USER modes are 'sticky' but the regular modes can be 'sticky' or 'non-sticky' depending on how you have the camera set up if that makes sense.

01-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Also, I expected changing a setting on the control panel to be temporary (maintained across a sleep cycle but not a power cycle) vs. going into the menu settings to male a permanent change. It works as expected in a user mode but in any of the other modes, any setting made on the control panel seems permanent. That just seems odd unless I missed some setting that actually controls this behavior?.
The idea behind the user modes it to be able to make a "snapshot" of the settings you use and save it for future use.

The generic modes are meant to be customized by the user in many ways, and if you want, you can customize which settings are reset to default when you turn off the camera just a jatrax said (found in "Memory" settings).

Every user probably have their own idea on what work best. But I believe many users using an advanced camera like K3 prefer that the camera keep the settings last used when turning off camera.