01-08-2015, 11:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
"1) Put battery to charger
2) Take picture of my Pentaxes
3) Take a cat picture
4) Upgrade firmware"

That really should be in the official user manual.
You forgot:

1.5 Take a picture of the lens cap.

01-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OK, just took a PEF shot with my K-3 and latest released darktable v1.6.1 works with it fine. Only thing that might be missing is the ability to handle the new Multi-AWB inherited from Ricoh. - Jack
01-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
8Gb should give you about 250300 or so photos stored in RAW format, less if you save RAW + JPEG. The RAW files are around 30-35Mb each (function of the large sensor, no compression and 14 bit colour sampling for each pixel). I use 32Gb cards that gives me about 1000 images which is good for a 7-10 day holiday at the rate I typically click away at.

Given such large files are being written, to get the snappiest response, you need a fast SD card. You will need a Class 10 SD card. Unfortunately 'Class 10' covers a wide range of actual write speeds making the Class 10 designation rather confusing. Specifically, look for something that writes at least at or over 45mb/second. I use the Sandisk Extreme Plus (80MB/second) SD cards. Any card much faster than that is faster than the camera's own write speed so costs money without adding performance.

Corrected a few hours after posting - my maths was crap first time around. 8 x4 = 32 doesn't it. Doh!

Last edited by southlander; 01-10-2015 at 04:58 AM.
01-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
8Gb should give you about 300 or so photos stored in RAW format,
I get 301 RAW files with a 16gb card, so I assume only 150 with an 8gb.

01-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #20

Original Poster
Big thanks everyone for responses.

I have been all day astonished what has happened in last ten years. My newest pentax was K100D. Shutter sound, ISO 52600 and overall performance. Actually I've been reading manual and playing with camera. I believe this camera could go to moon if given proper software and interface with rocket.

My SD card is too slow (25MB/s) so I need to get new one. But I can use it in my older cameras. and 8GB card can eat about 150 pics.

I found one totally impossible lighting situation for K-3. My *ist DL and K100D handles this cat picture but K-3 needs -3 stops to get nice photo.

The cat is lying on plant shelve where he has bed and he can see out. There is also fluorescent plant light which doesn't really provide any green light. So the colors are way off.
The towel is orange and cat is blackish.

Anyway here is my tiny weeny little kitty. (actually overweight and big)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
I believe this camera could go to moon if given proper software and interface with rocket.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/31970-pentax-k10d-space.html
01-10-2015, 05:02 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I get 301 RAW files with a 16gb card, so I assume only 150 with an 8gb.
I've corrected my rubbish maths. I would get around 250 images on 8Mb on the basis I fit around 1000 on a 32Gb card (shooting RAW only, not RAW + JPG).

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2015 at 09:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
I found one totally impossible lighting situation for K-3. My *ist DL and K100D handles this cat picture but K-3 needs -3 stops to get nice photo.

The cat is lying on plant shelve where he has bed and he can see out. There is also fluorescent plant light which doesn't really provide any green light. So the colors are way off.
The towel is orange and cat is blackish.

Anyway here is my tiny weeny little kitty. (actually overweight and big)
The K-3 is really really strong on protecting images from burning out the bright sections. I expect the K-3 would have protected the plant shelf exposure from burning out so puss ended up underdone. Backlit scenes will often need +ve exposure compensation.

Edit: I'll correct myself now I've re-read your post and notice you set compensation to - 3 stops. Camera has therefore chosen to expose for the cat in which case it would have tried to make puss mid-grey. Do you have the exposure setting for the camera set for spot or centre weighted rather than matrix??

I've got a black'n'white cat and that makes correct exposures hard work. A choice of blocked up blacks or burnt out whites unless the lighting is well managed.

M85/2 on a Pentax K-x, lighting was a AF-540FGZ flash on the camera hotshoe set to Auto (not TTL) Mode, bounced off ceiling, about +1EV adjustment in PP (TTL won't work with manual lenses).

Also a solid lump and lords it over my border collie (yet another black'n'white pet).

Last edited by southlander; 01-10-2015 at 05:21 AM.