Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2015, 08:54 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
We don't see posts of "My K-3 works GREAT" for a title. We do see "My K-3 has issues" and there are several of them on this forum.
People with no complaints typically don't complain. There are tons of "I Love My K-3" threads on this site.

So...how are things with the D7100? You own both cameras, right?

Steve

01-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Still less than 5000 shots, but no issues.

It was the same with the K-5 - going by the posts here you would think there wasn't ever a working one out there. Yet mine has worked without a hiccup.
01-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
People with no complaints typically don't complain. There are tons of "I Love My K-3" threads on this site.

So...how are things with the D7100? You own both cameras, right?

Steve
Never any issue with my D7100, nor my Canon 20D, nor my Pentax Q.
01-09-2015, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Never any issue with my D7100, nor my Canon 20D, nor my Pentax Q.
Have you posted a praise thread on the Web for each of those cameras? There are plenty of reports of problems with each of those models and without a balancing number of praise reports, it would indicate faulty design, eh?

Steve

01-09-2015, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

I have had the mirror flap thing twice in a little over 20,000 exposures, it has not recurred after updating the firmware. Other than that, flawless. Compared to other camera launches I have experienced the k-3 has had almost no issues.

There seems to be a rash of posts lately complaining about 'issues' or noting they will never buy a k-3 because of all the 'bad' reviews. Oddly many of those posters also seem to really, really like Sony cameras.

But to answer your question: no I have not had any AF issues with k-3. Have you checked the firmware? Usually new cameras ship with the original firmware although according to some posts that policy seems to have changed. Definitely worth checking. Another thing to check is the contacts on the lens, make sure they are all showing and you might buff them with a microfiber cloth to make sure they are making good contact.

One recent thread about a k-3 focus issue revolved around the same lens you mention the da 35mm f/2.4 The poster was certain his camera was defective and ranted a bit about the k-3. But after further testing he came back and apologized for those posts when it was confirmed it was only that lens that had issues. Which showed a lot of class I thought. Anyway, try things with a different lens. Maybe there are some bad DA 35mm f/2.4 floating around.
01-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Mine is still relatively new... a little more than a month... so far, no problem and the more I use, the more I like it.
01-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #22
Pentaxian

knocking on wood for even opening this thread.

camera karma gods be kind to me....please
01-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #23
Forum Member

Has anyone got a glitch free K3?

Hi,
I bought my K3 in November 2013. It has performed well with only one issue that occurred once. In August 2014 I was at the 'Temple of Doom' in Cambodia. In a darkened passage way I noticed the top LCD glowing even though the camera was switched off. I did some subsequent shooting and moved on to another site several kilometers away and turned on the camera to shoot and it was frozen. I then remembered a forum discussion about removing the batteries (which I did from the body and the grip) waited 60 seconds before replacing them and all was well. The only down side to this was I noticed about 10 images from the 'Temple of Doom' were missing. This incident has never happened again and subsequent images in Burma etc. have all been captured. The morning this occurred the humidity was EXTREME with high heat. I put it down to the batteries (both Pentax) possibly reacting to the conditions.
My wife's K5II froze up in similar weather conditions when we were on an Island in the Mekong delta in Viet Nam. I did the battery removal trick to no avail. Put them back in, set the camera to 'default' settings and all has been well since.

01-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi67 Quote
Hi,
I bought my K3 in November 2013. It has performed well with only one issue that occurred once. In August 2014 I was at the 'Temple of Doom' in Cambodia. In a darkened passage way I noticed the top LCD glowing even though the camera was switched off. I did some subsequent shooting and moved on to another site several kilometers away and turned on the camera to shoot and it was frozen. I then remembered a forum discussion about removing the batteries (which I did from the body and the grip) waited 60 seconds before replacing them and all was well. The only down side to this was I noticed about 10 images from the 'Temple of Doom' were missing. This incident has never happened again and subsequent images in Burma etc. have all been captured. The morning this occurred the humidity was EXTREME with high heat. I put it down to the batteries (both Pentax) possibly reacting to the conditions.
My wife's K5II froze up in similar weather conditions when we were on an Island in the Mekong delta in Viet Nam. I did the battery removal trick to no avail. Put them back in, set the camera to 'default' settings and all has been well since.
Sounds like your camera is 'cursed' when you were in the 'Temple of Doom' as evidence in the images mysteriously disappeared - pretty scary stuff I might add....
01-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

I acquired my K-3 in late Oct. 2014. Have used it daily, though comparatively lightly in that time, (871 actuations to
date: I am a conservative, considered shooter and almost never, ever use burst mode).

AF performance is much, much improved over my K-10D, but it's still not perfectly predictive of what I want. There
are times when the camera won't AF, but this seems to usually occur on low contrast targets. Simply recomposing
does the trick. I've never interpreted this as a glitch. The behavior is not unlike any other AF capable camera I've
ever used, and like I mentioned above, the AF performance of the K-3, despite the inherent limitations of AF, is much
better than my K-10D, (or any other AF capable camera I've used, which admittedly is not a large sample). I can
safely say that even with the K-3 I still don't trust AF to capture the image that I want and am quick and content to
shoot MF when I really want to get the shot. I see this more as a limitation of current AF & AI technology rather than
any fault of the K-3.

Aside from that, I love my K-3. I am amazed daily by the detail and dynamic range it can capture. I'm amazed at
it's high ISO performance, (bearing in mind I have no experience with the K-5xx). I'm amazed by it weight and
balance in my hand and the capabilities of SR. And I imagine I will be even further amazed the more I get to
know the camera.
01-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I acquired my K-3 in late Oct. 2014. Have used it daily, though comparatively lightly in that time, (871 actuations to
date: I am a conservative, considered shooter and almost never, ever use burst mode).
Only 871 since late October, wow, that is low; mine is already into 4 digit numbers. Mind you I still have the k-5IIs and k-5 I use regularly...
01-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Sounds like your camera is 'cursed' when you were in the 'Temple of Doom' as evidence in the images mysteriously disappeared - pretty scary stuff I might add....
Wow reading your 'quip' I just got goose bumps!
01-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have had the mirror flap thing twice in a little over 20,000 exposures, it has not recurred after updating the firmware. Other than that, flawless. Compared to other camera launches I have experienced the k-3 has had almost no issues.

There seems to be a rash of posts lately complaining about 'issues' or noting they will never buy a k-3 because of all the 'bad' reviews. Oddly many of those posters also seem to really, really like Sony cameras.

But to answer your question: no I have not had any AF issues with k-3. Have you checked the firmware? Usually new cameras ship with the original firmware although according to some posts that policy seems to have changed. Definitely worth checking. Another thing to check is the contacts on the lens, make sure they are all showing and you might buff them with a microfiber cloth to make sure they are making good contact.

One recent thread about a k-3 focus issue revolved around the same lens you mention the da 35mm f/2.4 The poster was certain his camera was defective and ranted a bit about the k-3. But after further testing he came back and apologized for those posts when it was confirmed it was only that lens that had issues. Which showed a lot of class I thought. Anyway, try things with a different lens. Maybe there are some bad DA 35mm f/2.4 floating around.
Thanks for this reply. There have been many interesting responses, but this one really stands out as informative, and on point.

I have seen the issue with more than one lens, but I need to do some extensive non-grip shooting too. I have a slight suspicion the grip is involved. I have already sent one grip back as defective (different issue, does not occur with the replacement grip) so I'm prone to see that in a less favorable light than before.
01-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #29

Photos: Gallery
Got my K-3 in July 2014, have shot nearly 1,600 images with it since then, with a variety of Pentax DA glass, and played with a fair amount of modes and features. Till now I haven't encountered a single freeze or markedly odd behaviour. Nothing that I wouldn't have had to put down to my own stupidity while learning the camera. I'm pretty conscientious about firmware updates, and mine is running on v1.11. I have made it a habit to buy major photo gear exclusively from trusted sources, so no dubious imports for me.

In comparison to the K-7 I used to have, I do find the rubber terminal cover a little more stubborn till it perfectly re-seals, by which I don't mean that it doesn't do its job, only that it takes a little more skill and attention than the K-7 implementation (which had less to seal). Once it is in place again, everything's fine. I have a feeling, hard to substantiate, that the K-7 camera strap used to be of slightly better quality. The K-7 manual was a bit more helpful and copious about some advanced options. And I was a little irritated that, in order to take advantage of the USB 3.0 connection, I had to pick up a USB 3.0 cable - till I understood that a more-than-flimsy cable right in the box would have made the camera probably more expensive. Well, seriously, that's about all negative that I can say about my K-3.

Apart from the nit-pickingly minor observations above, I'm absolutely loving my K-3. It is by far the most capable and (subjectively) dependable camera I've ever owned. If I got a once-in-a-lifetime chance to shoot emperor penguins in Antarctica, this would be the camera I'd bring.

As other posters have noted, this doesn't mean that there aren't any K-3s with issues out there, but I find it hard to believe that the failure rate is supposed to be higher than those of similar electronic devices. As far as I can tell, the K-3 is a fine piece of engineering indeed.
01-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No issues here as far as I'm aware. Maybe I haven't used it enough? 7,000 clicks since purchased in June. Hey good luck to you.