Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

SR...LV...and ratlle clunking

I guess I need some assurance there is nothing wrong with my K3.....

With SR "OFF" in LV....I hear NO noise inside.....like a little clunking rattle when I move the body......
But....with SR "ON" in LV .....it rattles like crazy and I can actually feel it bumping around in there......

I pulled the lens off and checked it in different modes....I can actually see it shaking around in there but only in LV.....?
If it were working properly wouldn't I hear and feel it when using in any viewing mode ?

It only is noticeable in LV....not when using the eye viewfinder.

Is my camera muffed up ?

Yes....Ive read the other posts but none seemed to direct the question as I posted....HELP !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-09-2015 at 10:58 AM.
01-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
Unregistered User

On or Off makes, as far as I can hear, the same noise on my copy. Both in LV and Movie mode. Only when using the Astrotracer function with the O-GPS1 it makes a weird cluncy sound when following the stars. That is actually good because then I know it is doing a good job, if silent I know I missed the shot before the preview comes on...
01-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
On or Off makes, as far as I can hear, the same noise on my copy. Both in LV and Movie mode. Only when using the Astrotracer function with the O-GPS1 it makes a weird cluncy sound when following the stars. That is actually good because then I know it is doing a good job, if silent I know I missed the shot before the preview comes on...
Mine only does it in LV....I understand its the sensor moving around.....but why on mine is it only in LV ???
01-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
Mine only does it in LV....I understand its the sensor moving around.....but why on mine is it only in LV ???
Because the sensor has to be kept in place by the SR system, even if it isn't compensating for camera shake.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Because the sensor has to be kept in place by the SR system, even if it isn't compensating for camera shake.
Thanks.....Yes....I figured it out.
When SR is enabled it always is on and compensates. But in live view its constant , and in eye view its only at the moment of release and exposure....I just hear and notice it in Live view ....Regular eye view its undetectable.
I understand it now and it makes sense....................whew !

The K30 seems more pronounced (Rattle and noisy)....... than the K3 which is more smooth and quiet.
01-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you really just say you used LV with no lens on?
01-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I guess it is not so different than a mirrorless camera that exposes the sensor when not taking a photo or is that a big no no?

01-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I guess it is not so different than a mirrorless camera that exposes the sensor when not taking a photo or is that a big no no?
I don't see the problem here. The camera does not know the difference.

Steve
01-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Absolutely......to check it !
None of my lenses have contacts so its fine!
It was a quick check.......I'm no fraidy cat !
No different than cleaning or changing a screen.
01-10-2015, 12:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@tjompen It's the same thing. And you shouldn't have the camera on and lens off there EITHER.

@stevebrot The dust does

@az1895 I suggest running Dust Check and Dust Removal. Having the camera ON is very different. The sensor is charged and as such attracts dust. You might be lucky and not have any, or you might have gotten a buttload of spots.
01-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@tjompen It's the same thing. And you shouldn't have the camera on and lens off there EITHER.

@stevebrot The dust does

@az1895 I suggest running Dust Check and Dust Removal. Having the camera ON is very different. The sensor is charged and as such attracts dust. You might be lucky and not have any, or you might have gotten a buttload of spots.
Nope....no dust.....checked it 2 minutes after......both of them are fine.
I actually shoot the K30 with a DIY large aperture leaf shutter scavenged off my old Mamiya Rz and its open then too. Its no big deal.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-10-2015 at 10:19 AM.