Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
I think that you are always better off buying a model towards the end of its run (assuming there is a reduction in price) than it is to buy the newest one to hit the market.

The last version will have all the bugs worked out and will have the most information, parts and knowledge available. The new one is untested waters and issues and updates typically follow.
As an engineer, this is my approach with most gadgets. The only advantage of buying early is bragging rights, if you are that type of person. As already pointed out, but with my additions, here are the advantages of buying later in the cycle:
1. Early bugs are worked out of the system, so you never have to deal with them.
2. Better knowledge and feedback will be available from a larger number of experienced users. Early reviews tend to be very hit or miss because the reviewer does not really know the product yet. They are trying to be the first, which means doing reviews quickly and without attention to detail or really learning how to get the best out of the product.
3. Lower prices, especially if you are very close the replacement model coming out. Buying the new model always brings a premium price.
4. Manufacturing quality on complex devices tends to get better over time in most industries. Improvements trickle in during the manufacturing lifecycle and later products tend to be less fickle and more stable. This is somewhat related to 1, but not exactly because many bugs are commonly software related, while this is more about incremental improvements to the design of a product during its lifecycle.

For me, the K-3 already seemed like a solid upgrade over my K-5 that I felt it was a good time to upgrade (just got it this week). The metering, white balance and AF improvements, lack of AA filter and fixed flash system were all significant improvements on paper and in this forum. It's still early to understand the magnitude of these improvements but I have no doubt I will see the results in my images.

I bought my K-5 relatively late in its lifecycle and also my K-3.