Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
off camera flash help for k-3

I am learning about off camera flash, so I am very new and I have been reading different blogs until my eyes are starting to cross! I have a question and I am not sure of the answer. I have a nikon sd 800. Can I use that for off camera flash? Nikon has a Sync Cord SC-15 listed as an accessory. Can I connect that directly to the x-sync socket on the pentax k-3 or do I need to buy a universal hot shoe kit? Thanks

01-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You mean SB 800? It should work just fine, but only in manual mode. In other words, the camera will be able to trigger the flash but flash power must be set on the flash.

Normally these will be triggered using a radio trigger but it can be done with a cord. AFAIK the Pentax x-sync socket is standard so if the Nikon cord plugs in it should work. There is no communication on this port except the 'fire' signal.

I use a Nikon SB 26 all the time but I do not think I ever used a cord, I had radio triggers by the time I acquired the SB 26.

On older flashes (much older) you need to be concerned about the trigger voltage which can run as high as 100 volts and can fry your camera. But the SB 800 is quite modern and works fine with digital.
01-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I meant sb 800. I didnt realize I made the typo. I was planning on using manual so that is good. I was thinking of going wireless but it seems the cord is $25 and I see the radio systems for around $100, and I am just trying to get the basics down before I start with radio. I was looking at the pocket wizard for the future but overwhelmed with the options, so I was going to start small.

---------- Post added 01-10-15 at 08:59 PM ----------

Thank you for the information...forgot to add that before I sent send. That is a big help.
01-10-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Does the SB800 have an optical slave mode where it will trigger when the on camera flash triggers?

01-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
if you get the cactus v6 you can control the power of the flash from the triggering device which sits on the hot shoe of the k3
01-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Does the SB800 have an optical slave mode where it will trigger when the on camera flash triggers?
It looks like it does. I dont know much about the flash, i have had it for years and only used it on camera with a nikon with very poor results. I finally took a class to learn off camera flash. The tecaher mentioned using gaffer tape to block the on camera flash, so I will look into that and see if I can get it to work.
01-10-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I see the radio systems for around $100

These are cheap and work well enough for learning: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A47U22U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

01-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your help...I got the flash to slave to the camera flash and I blocked the on camera flash, but sometimes the flash would go off randomly so it may have been interference. I think I will get a cactus radio. The option to control the power of the flash via the camera sounds good, I spent a lot of time fiddling with the flash power while testing today and having to move the flash in the process.

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 08:54 PM ----------

Ok I am doing some reading...I can't do rear sync with the nikon flash? That is what it looks like according to the manual.