Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 06:19 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Got my New K-3! When to use SR?

I got my new K-3 in yesterday and was able to shoot a few pictures this morning at the airport with my FA 31. I am upgrading from a K-5. Wow. Impressed. Love the camera. My question is now for those of you with the K-3 when do you apply Shake Reduction? I've read many posts that say if your'e shooting above a certain shutter speed to just leave it off for a sharper image. What shutter speed would that be?

BTW my camera came with firmware version 1.00 so I upgraded it to V1.11. Manufacture date was 3/6/2014. Shutter count 0.

Here's a quick pic

F4.5 1/13 @1600

01-11-2015, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I usually leave it on.
When I'm with the camera on a tripod I just put the 2s timer on, so that SR is automatically excluded.
I don't do much panning shots though... would think you'd want it off for those...
01-11-2015, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On unless you are on a tripod or another solid surface that eliminate movement. Also for extremely long telephoto, >300 or so, the in lens stabilization may work better.
01-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've tested SR on/off with high shutter speeds many times over the years. SR has no effect, positive or negative, at high shutter speeds. I always turn SR off for tripod shooting and panning. The biggest problem with SR on/off is when you forget to turn it on after disabling it.

I have User1 mode set up for action photography (AF-C, expandable center AF point, TAv mode, SR off, etc.). I can change from still subjects to moving with just a couple of clicks of the top dial.

01-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #5

I leave it on all the time. I have not seen any positive effect when turning it off even when taking portraits.

obin
01-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Always on for me as well, no matter the shutter speed. Except when using a tripod, of course.

The only situation I can think of where I might switch it off is for certain kinds of action shooting - when you don't have the time to wait for the SR to stabilise. I don't think I have ever been there, though.
01-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
I leave it on all the time. I have not seen any positive effect when turning it off even when taking portraits.
SR is supposed to compensate the motion of the camera, not the subject, so there is no reason turning it off for still subjects will be of any benefit.

01-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I leave it on unless I have the camera on a tripod. I have few sigma lens with optical stabilization but I just use the K3's SR. I doesn't drain the battery as much.
01-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I leave it on unless I have the camera on a tripod. I have few sigma lens with optical stabilization but I just use the K3's SR. I doesn't drain the battery as much.
Interesting point about power drain. What I am finding with my new 150-500 is that above 300 I get sharper images with the lens stabilization set to 1 than I do with the SR on. I can hand hold a 440mm shot of the moon with the lens stabilization on and get a very sharp image but with the SR on I never achieved the same sharpness. My experience, yours may vary.
01-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #10

I leave on all the time except when doing macro work or when using a tripod. I'll also turn it off if I want motion blur for creative effects.
01-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When using any lens that is not stabilized I leave it on. When I use a tripod I always use the remote and when you activate the remote it deactivated the SR. Take it off the remote setting (or delay) and it is reactivated.
01-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Note that the K-3 disables SR automatically when it detects panning. To me this means that Pentax agrees, SR should not be used for action photography. Some people say that if the panning motion is not smooth, the K-3 SR will attempt to spool up again, which spoils the next images.

I've never tested the above, but I have empirically tested SR on/off by shooting birds in flight. I achieve a significantly higher percentage of sharp images with SR off for panning. SR is not needed at the high shutter speeds you need to freeze motion anyway, so there's no upside to having it on.
01-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

You can set the Raw/Fx button to toggle it. Menu - Camera - 4 - Button Customization.
01-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Note that the K-3 disables SR automatically when it detects panning. To me this means that Pentax agrees, SR should not be used for action photography. Some people say that if the panning motion is not smooth, the K-3 SR will attempt to spool up again, which spoils the next images.

I've never tested the above, but I have empirically tested SR on/off by shooting birds in flight. I achieve a significantly higher percentage of sharp images with SR off for panning. SR is not needed at the high shutter speeds you need to freeze motion anyway, so there's no upside to having it on.
Completely agree with Dan on this. Why trust the camera to get it right if you know you're going to be panning, turn it off (or better yet set it as one of the User modes).

Not that anyone here does much in the video department, but I would also suggest turning off SR for all video work. The very poor quality of the digital SR from the K-01/30/50 implementation has been considerably improved - but still not good enough, IMHO.
01-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Turn off for video. ALL shake reduction fr video should be done in post. Always. Shoot much wider for video than your normally would for a still photo.