Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
WOW! That sounds terrible. Is it a problem that was/is common?
I happened to be with a friend when she experienced her first and only flapping incident. She upgraded the firmware that day (to 1.10 iirc), and hasn't experienced it again (she's had the camera for over a year now, so no, it's not common).

It's unsettling for those that experience it, but for most people isn't something worth sending the camera back for (although two flapping incidents on 1.11 firmware sounds like a very rare exception, and something that may be worth sending the camera back for sadly)

01-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it back
  • Do not bother with the firmware update, v1.11 mitigates the problem to prevent camera damage, but is not a cure...you still get one or more blank frames
  • Do not bother with troubleshooting the batteries
  • Do not bother with cleaning the lens contacts
  • Do not bother with ANY camera settings
Send it back

Let B&H sort it out with Ricoh. You will be better served with a replacement and your returned camera will enter the QA loop to improve the breed. Send it back.

Steve
01-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
well, a somewhat interesting turn of events....I have decided to send the camera back and took it to UPS today. Upon return took out the k5 to do some interior shots and after a few shots the k5 froze up, which it has never done before...I had to take the battery out and reinsert....now the interesting part to me is that it was a 3rd party battery (which I am embarrassed to say i didn't even know I had...I thought they were all Pentax batteries) . I have been using it for 6 months or so and it was re-charged for use today...I didn't really pay attention to what battery was in the K3 when it had its mirror failure. So, I will take some more shots with the 3rd party battery and see what happens. doesn't change my mind about returning k3 though...I didn't feel the right connection to that camera from the beginning. However, I also admit that I am addicted to extrapolating deeper meaning from seemingly random and coincidental events.
01-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I do not think anyone would question that the k-5 and k-3 issues are battery related. There is a fault which 99.9999 of the time does not occur. But sometimes it does and likely the 'trigger' is an abnormal voltage situation caused by (choose 1): over charged batteries, under charged batteries or third party batteries or possibly any of those.

That does not help if you have the fault, just perhaps explains why it happens only very rarely and maybe why it got through QC. It is a rare combination of things that triggers the underlying fault, very difficult to diagnose.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tandrew Quote
I didn't feel the right connection to that camera from the beginning.
Agree it is best to return it, but sorry you did not connect with the k-3. I certainly did, don't think I have a 1,000 exposures on the k-5IIs since the k-3 arrived. For me the buttons just seem to fit better especially the back button AF and of course it is much more responsive than the k-5. But the k-5 is an excellent body and all that matters is you are happy taking pictures.

01-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #20

Original Poster
I guess somehow I missed the connection with the battery issue in other threads.....I am exchanging the camera. i actually connected with the camera when I started using it, it was just that particular camera body that didn't feel right...it had problems from the beginning and I never got completely relaxed with it.
01-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #21
Site Supporter

I guess somehow I missed the connection with the battery issue in other threads.....I am exchanging the camera.
I think that is best. I had the 'flop' thing twice over almost a year and not since the new firmware but your experience sounds like it should go back. Hope the new body works out better, the k-3 is a marvelous camera with a long list of cool features.

My first k-5 came with a defect to the electronic level. Not a major issue but I felt paying that much for a body it should work right, aggravating to have to pack it and ship back but I did and the second body worked correctly. I think I had 45,000 exposures on that body when I sold it.
02-09-2015, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
my apologies...this is way late and probably not of much interest to any one at this point. I did send the camera back to B&H, they were very responsive and got another camera back to me within 3 days of receiving my return...the new camera needed a firmware update...I did that and have been using it almost daily ever since with no problems.
thanks to everyone for their responses and opinions and experience sharing.
tom
02-10-2015, 02:47 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I'm curious what your original (returned) camera SN was, and what your new one is. Not exactly, just if they were both in the 60******* range.

Another thread around here seems to indicate that people since December have been getting in that range with FW 1.11 from B&H.

Again, just curious.

Last edited by Qwntm; 02-10-2015 at 02:48 AM. Reason: typoes :)
02-10-2015, 06:53 AM   #24

Original Poster
SN on first camera started with 609 (13 digits) and FW was up-to-date. the new camera SN starts in the 492 (7digits) and the FW was 1.00 or 1.0.
t
02-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #25
Pentaxian

SN on first camera started with 609 (13 digits) and FW was up-to-date. the new camera SN starts in the 492 (7digits) and the FW was 1.00 or 1.0.
t

Thanks. So I guess the 60******* SN are not immune to the flap.

But I do wonder about your dodgy 3rd party battery. I don't think I'd use a 3rd party battery with the K-3. There's enough problems already with the OEM battery!
02-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Thanks. So I guess the 60******* SN are not immune to the flap.

But I do wonder about your dodgy 3rd party battery. I don't think I'd use a 3rd party battery with the K-3. There's enough problems already with the OEM battery!
There are problems with the OEM batteries???
02-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've had it twice in 20,000+ exposures. Which sounds scary but makes the k-3 more reliable than just about any other device own
That is a pretty darn low error rate.