Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #1

K3 Dust Removal

I recently purchased a K3 from B&H and on the Set-up menu activated Dust Removal upon Startup Action. However, there is no noise when I turn the camera on. I have activated Dust Removal upon Start-up action on my K200D and can clearly hear the sensor vibrate when turning on the camera. Is dust removal on the K3 silent or is there a problem with what I am doing?

01-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it's silent on the K-3

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

As Adam says the DR system on the k-3 is nearly silent and works remarkably well. Leave it set to run on startup.

And welcome to the forum neighbor!
01-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I turn mine on for Startup and Shutdown. I'd rather not have the dust sitting on the sensor until next time I use the camera.

01-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have mine on at shtudown only, and sometimes run it after a changing lenses a lot. I have a pesky bit of dust to one side apparent only at f22, that neither the camera or a rocket blower will remove. Not worth touching the sensor with a swab at all. I do have some dust on the focusing screen below the prism. Does that come out without a tool? Or will my Pz1P screen remover still work on the K-3?
01-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I turn mine on for Startup and Shutdown. I'd rather not have the dust sitting on the sensor until next time I use the camera.
+ to Docrwm's advice. Plus I use a rocket blower to clean the lens mount exterior each time before I change lenses, and randomly blow out the lens mounts of lenses when changing, especially in the early summer with tree pollen everywhere.
01-14-2015, 02:03 AM   #7

Mine is on both, startup and shutdown. And I was also surprised as the TS not to hear anything. But my dog hears it quite well and the sound is disturbing for him. SO it proves that the system works
03-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #8

The same thing appears to be true on my K-3II. I'm new to DSLRs.... let me know

1 Day Ago   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blb511 Quote
The same thing appears to be true on my K-3II. I'm new to DSLRs.... let me know
Let you know what? You are responded to a thread that is over 2 years old so not sure how valid the information is or what exactly your question is.

You might be better off opening a new thread with your specific question. Just a suggestion, but that usually works better.

If you are asking about the dust removal system on a K-3II then yes it should be on. And also yes, it is silent and nearly impossible to hear. Though dogs, and young children can hear it sometimes.