Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Considering k3 again

I purchased a k3 back in Jan 2013 soon after their release.. I chose the pentax over the canon 70d and nikon d7100 as i liked its solid feel, WR and had all the bells and whistles i was ever likely to need..

The lenses I had were the 35mm f2.8 macro and Sigma 17-70mm contemporary. My favourite lens was the 35 macro as it had a very nice way of rendering images...
The reason i ended up getting rid of my pentax k3 and lenses after a few months due to the "crazy mirror flapping" issue and apparent lack of action my Pentax (it appears Pentax has now acknowledge the problem and provided updates and servicing fixes?).

I have been renting a XT1 with 23mm, 60mm macro and 50-140mm lenses. The Fuji XT1 has better IQ and lenses than the Pentax k3/system. Whilst initially I liked the compacted nature of the camera, with the bigger lenses it becomes awkward. Tracking moving subjects in continuous mode with the EVF is frustrating due to the EVF blackout between frames... The XT1 also has limited bracketing options which i used often on the K3. I also liked having the 24mpx on the k3, as I like to be able to crop and having the extra megapixels for that is nice. (I can still crop on the 16mpx XT1 just not as aggressively)

With pentax having some longer zooms in the pipe lines it will cover all my focal lengths

So im now looking very seriously at a return to k3. Probably with 35mm macro, 12mm Rokinon f2 (astro), maybe the new 16-85WR, 50-250mm and 100mm Macro and the new Zoom 100-400mm (?) with TC1.4x

Has anyone had similar experience switching to Fuji/Mirrorless and switched back Pentax? Am I mad?

Is there likely to be a K3 II released later this year?

01-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rumors about new cameras are always present. CP+ is in February and held in Japan so announcements are actually more likely for it because its held in the Home Islands.
01-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your dilemma and observations are quite interesting! I will be following your story!

As for me, I bought into the NEX system some while back, yet I never prefer to use it.

I like my K-3.
01-11-2015, 06:10 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atomx Quote
The Fuji XT1 has better IQ and lenses than the Pentax k3/system.
I think that says it all. If you are happy in Fuji land why change back? Ricoh is going to come out with new cameras and lenses this year, some of them very exciting. but so will Fuji, so?

Honestly, any current camera will produce images that are indistinguishable in image quality. If you can tell the difference between the same shot taken with Fuji, Pentax, Canon or Nikon you have much better eyes than I do. The difference is going to be in the feature set and ergonomics. Just pick a brand that fits your needs and go take pictures. Switching back and forth every time a new model comes out wastes money and more importantly familiarity with the camera and menu system.

01-11-2015, 06:56 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

The Fuji XT1 has better IQ and lenses than the Pentax k3/system.
I think your blanket statement of "better IQ" is a huge stretch and highly debatable. I use DxO Optics Pro v10 with both my D800 and K-3 images and find that the K-3 is able to "keep up" with the D800. I have downloaded XT1 raw files to evaluate and don't see anything that would make me come to the conclusion that Fuji is "better". While the day-to-day lenses the Fuji offers with their system are definitely compelling, Fuji has nothing like the Pentax DA* 60-250mm which is the primary reason I added a Pentax K-3 to my mostly Nikon system. I find that particular lens to be impeccable with no real competition from CaNikon or anyone else for that matter. In fact, if Nikon were to introduce their long-awaited D400 (no guarantee of that btw) I would still not switch my "long reach" lens back to Nikon. The Pentax K-3 + DA* 60-250mm delivers what I need in a long tele-zoom and it works well as a companion camera system to my D800 and kit of exceptional wide-angle Nikkor lenses.

YMMV

Michael

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjsfoto1956/
01-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
The switch to Fuji was more to try the mirrorless/EVF. If I pixel peep the fuji images are sharper but the rendering is very sterile. Many of the Pentax lenses have a unique rendering that fuji doesn't have.. Im not sure if this holds try for the newer lenses that are coming soon..

At present I'm not committed to any system. Ive just been renting the Fuji for a few months to see how I liked it.. At this point in time I'm pretty sure mirrorless is not for me in its current form. I prefer an OVF which is why I'm looking at dslr's again.
01-12-2015, 12:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I am contemplating a switch too but I am in no hurry. K3 has been an excellent camera for me. I use FA Limited lenses along with a Sigma 10-20, 16-45 and a F50 f2.8 Macro. The K3 and all the lenses have delivered for me for just about anything I can throw at the system. The only place it falls short is super large prints (larger than 40x60"). That is the reason I am evaluating the switch to the 645Z. If not for the large prints, K3 has delivered superior results for personal and paid assignments. The other area the K3 falls short is video. For that reason, I am looking at adding a Sony mirrorless camera. I intend to use my Pentax primes with an adapter on the Sony. I am in no hurry to switch as Pentax may have some goodies for us. Perhaps a mirrorless system or a DSLR with better video.
01-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The switch to Fuji was more to try the mirrorless/EVF. If I pixel peep the fuji images are sharper but the rendering is very sterile.
That's because Fuji processes noise and detail out of the raw images. They also lie about ISO, which makes people falsely believe that Fuji bodies handle high ISO better than other APS-C makes. Behind the Fuji color array, which has advantages and disadvantages vs. Bayer, lies the same 16mp sensor everyone else used before the superior 24mp sensor was available. Fuji is lagging, they need to update their sensor.

I like shooting action (sports, BIF). I have a Sony a6000, arguably the best MILC for action shooting. It is definitely not comparable to a K-3 for AF-C.

01-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well i have a K3 inbound. Im going use both systems side by side for a while and see which one I prefer.
02-01-2015, 10:27 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

I gave the Fuji system a try. XT-1, XE-2 and all the fast primes. It was ok but not very satisfying. I then bought a D810 to see what all the fuss was over 36mp's. Yea, it's awesome, no question...

BUT, when I look at Heie's work and Richard Bird's work and the work I've done with Pentax, Pentax just has this certain something which seems to be lacking in those other systems.

The three pillars of lens quality are resolution, contrast and saturation. Testing accounts for some of these, but the proof is in the photos. Especially the limited lenses, there's a 3D quality to the images that I just can't seem to get with anything else.
02-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well i have a K3 inbound. Im going use both systems side by side for a while and see which one I prefer.
I have 2 K3's. No mirror flapping issues to report.