Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SD card speed on a K3

Considering an upgrade to a K3. If I setup the second card slot as a backup to the first, does this slow down write speed by much. In other words, does write performance suffer?

01-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
Considering an upgrade to a K3. If I setup the second card slot as a backup to the first, does this slow down write speed by much. In other words, does write performance suffer?
Yes, it slows down as the camera writes the files sequentially. Shouldn't be a major issue unless you're shooting bursts or expect instant playback, though. See this page of our 645Z review for details:

Review: Pentax 645Z - Performance and Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The K-3's write time will be a little faster since its files are smaller, but the proportions should be roughly the same.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-16-2015, 12:19 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's also possible to manually copy images from one SD card to the other in the K-3. It's very easy - if you download the manual, it's on page 65 "copying an image"

This way, you can use any spare memory cards for backup purposes with no need for a computer. So the K-3's second card slot can mean that you can travel with no need for a dedicated card copier or laptop / tablet for backups, just a bunch of miscellaneous SD cards.
01-16-2015, 05:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
It's also possible to manually copy images from one SD card to the other in the K-3. It's very easy - if you download the manual, it's on page 65 "copying an image"

This way, you can use any spare memory cards for backup purposes with no need for a computer. So the K-3's second card slot can mean that you can travel with no need for a dedicated card copier or laptop / tablet for backups, just a bunch of miscellaneous SD cards.
Awesome

01-16-2015, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

With my K-3 I always shoot bracket mode and RAW + JPEG to the 2nd slot. I find it to be a lot faster (by a very large margin btw) than my Nikon D800 or D7000 so I'm totally happy with the performance of the K-3. So much so that I now always shoot this way and judge any other camera by its ability to match the K-3 (or not).

YMMV

Michael
JMICHAELSULLIVAN.COM
01-16-2015, 06:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote

Great tip! I should follow my own advice and RTFM (Read the Freaking Manual).

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 01-16-2015 at 07:02 AM.
01-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yup, writing to two cards does slow it down. I'd been using slower cards in slot 2 to save JPGs, but I'm going to upgrade for a speed boost. I'm also going to store M resolution or smaller JPGs to speed things up even further.
01-16-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter

How fast can a K-3 write files to an SD card? Will it be waste of money if I buy 90MB/s card?

01-16-2015, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CrFr Quote
How fast can a K-3 write files to an SD card? Will it be waste of money if I buy 90MB/s card?
A previous set of tests by one of our members determined that the 90MB/s write speed is not leveraged by the K-3.

You can save money by getting the 80/60 MB/s Sandisk Extreme Plus, vs the more expensive Extreme PRO.

Only reason to get the faster card is to maximize download times to your computer as the PRO can read at 95MB/s via a USB3 card reader.
01-17-2015, 04:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
A previous set of tests by one of our members determined that the 90MB/s write speed is not leveraged by the K-3.

You can save money by getting the 80/60 MB/s Sandisk Extreme Plus, vs the more expensive Extreme PRO.

Only reason to get the faster card is to maximize download times to your computer as the PRO can read at 95MB/s via a USB3 card reader.
Has anyone performed a speed test comparing the Plus to Pro cards in a K-3? I'm currently using a 32GB SanDisk Ultra (previously used in my K-5) and was planning to upgrade the card since I got my K-3 this week. I was planning to get Pro cards, but now I wonder if I can save a bit of money and get the Plus cards instead. I do not shoot bursts, only single frames.
01-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I believe it was @ronhendricks1966 who did some testing and determined the K-3 didn't clear the buffer any faster with an Extreme PRO @90MBs than it did with an Extreme @45MBs.

I feel I am offering the camera every opportunity to write as fast as possible by using the Plus 80/60 cards.

If you don't shoot in bursts it really shouldn't affect your shooting, but keep in mind the files will be larger than what you currently produce so a faster card will allow you to read off the images faster to your computer if you use a USB 3 connection.
01-17-2015, 10:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've been using 32G Extreme Plus cards in my K-3 since I got it. I shoot in burst mode a lot in the summer at the races. I've been extremely happy with their performance. They seem to clear the buffer quite fast. Even if the K-3 cannot write the speed they are capable of running I can at least know that the buffer is being cleared as fast as possible. Every second counts when shooting constant action at over 100 mph.