Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Backpack for K-3

Okay, there are a few threads about bags, and backpacks, but most of them talk about bigger bags that accomodate the camera (+gear), and laptops, tables, trucks, boats, and what not. I am looking for a bag to hold my K-3, 18-135mm lens, and 35mm and 50mm primes, and a bit of camera gear (charger etc.), NOTHING MORE. Essentially the SMALLEST backpack that holds this gear. Would appreciate suggestions/recommendations, my budget has a ceiling at $80 or so. I am wary of purchasing the bags listed on eBay that come from China, as I am not sure the quality of material used (no, not the padding, but the actual material -- don't want to end up with Cancer in 10 years from now because I "inhaled" too much whatchayoucallit chemical from my camera bag ). I'll stick to Amazon, B&H, and Adorama. Maybe BestBuy.

Last edited by choombak; 01-16-2015 at 01:06 PM.
01-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I feel the same way you do about size. Just bought this one and LOVE it. Just the right size.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10408545&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi
Attached Images

01-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Cambags.com lets you search by bag type and size. The link below is for backpacks with 1 camera and 3 lenses.

1 dslr and 3 lenses - Cambags

Includes several user reviews but no pricing information.

Tim
01-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the Lowepro Phorotraveler 150. It will hold dslr camera with 18-135 attached, 2 or three primes, and a flash if you pack it just right. Plus it has space for ipad and other stuff. Solid little bag that I can strap to my bike rack too. And it's only $39.

Lowepro Photo Traveler 150 Backpack (Mica) LP36413 B&H Photo

01-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Check your PM, choombak.
01-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Well, I have an older version of the Tamrac,, It will hold my camera (K5) a few lens, lunch, snack or a jacket in the top. It is a nice back pack . I also have a LARGE Vanguard that will hold all of my stuff including the tripod, The Tamrac is much nicer for short daily outings.
01-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW? I'm not sure how much it currently sells for. It's a sling bag not a 2-strap backpack, but the wide diagonal strap is able to carry the weight of a camera and a few lenses, and the optional cross strap holds the bag in place during fast walks or bicycling.

01-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, I'll check these out.
01-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #9

I have similar gear to you and got a DR 465i bag from kata-bags.com, very pleased with it.
They have a bag selector on their site.
Kata recently merged with Manfrotto.
01-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax Slingbag. $29.95

Pentax 85231 DSLR Sling Bag 2 (Black) 85231 B&H Photo Video

01-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I personally own a LowPro Fast Pack for exactly the use you are describing. It worked wonderfully and should do exactly what you are asking of it. There are several differnet sizes and you should be able to find the smaller one for a good price.

01-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter

It looks like your volume requirements are small-ish. I like the Lowepro Flipsides, and you can get them in whatever size you need. If you're using the pack to hold your gear while you're actively taking photos, this one is designed to "flip" around in front of you to get at the gear quickly. Here's a link for the smallest from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Flipside-200-Black-Backpack-Black/dp/B000YA1DS4/ref=pd_cp_p_2
01-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by choombak Quote
that come from China, as I am not sure the quality of material used (no, not the padding, but the actual material -- don't want to end up with Cancer in 10 years from now because I "inhaled" too much whatchayoucallit chemical from my camera bag
Everything is made in China nowadays so choice of brand may not save you.
01-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
Forum Member

I've found camera backpacks to be heavy, overpadded, hot and not particularly comfortable. My preference is to get a great daypack. I then attach my camera and walk-about lens to the shoulder-strap using Peak Designs' Capture Pro Camera Clip so the camera is always immediately at hand. My LensPen and polarizer go in the small pocket on the waist strap of the backpack. Any other lenses and accessories I may bring go in the smallest bag I can fit them in (I have a few different sizes kicking around for this purpose) and I put that into the backpack. All set and a much more comfortable set-up with the camera far more accessible to boot. Mine also has space for a hydration bladder, which I really like.

If I want a tripod, I have two solutions. My Talon 22 backpack has a system for holding trekking poles. I'll sometimes use that. It does require the tripod to be between my left arm and my body. Advantage is I can remove the tripod without taking off the backpack. Disadvantage is the bulk of the tripod is under my arm requiring me to hold my arm in a somewhat different position. Fine for a short while, annoying on a long day hike. The second alternative is to lash it to the back of the backpack where the straps for attaching an ice-axe are, but obviously this requires removing the backpack to access the tripod.
01-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
I personally own a LowPro Fast Pack for exactly the use you are describing. It worked wonderfully and should do exactly what you are asking of it. There are several differnet sizes and you should be able to find the smaller one for a good price.
That one in your photo looks like a Lowepro fastpack 200, which is slightly bigger and heavier than the ones mentioned earlier in the thread but much smaller and lighter than many other backpacks. It's the smallest backback IIRC that will take the K-3 with DA*300 an rear converter fitted, with room for more lenses odds and ends. So if the O/P might expand his lens collection in the future, this would be a good choice. You can swing it round to the front on one shoulder to get at your camera+lens.

But you have to improvise if you want to carry a tripod as well. Helpful Youtube review here.

Last edited by Dave L; 01-16-2015 at 08:02 PM.