Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2015, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

K3 jpg

I know the general consensus is to shoot raw and i too am in the same camp but sometimes i get lazy and just want to compose, set exposure and shoot and have a decent enough pic to call a keeper. I have gotten my new K3 set up now to the point that unless i need to pull some detail out of shadows in a raw photo i am pretty happy with the JPGs that im kicking out. I am getting the same colors as im seeing at that moment, which up until recently i have not been able to reproduce with "in camera jpg engine" only. Here is an example of what i saw this am. The subject and composition are far from perfect but im just trying to portray color reproduction.

01-19-2015, 02:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice yellow-orange-magenta gradient. What jpeg settings did you use? I'm thinking of white balance, Magenta-Green adjustment, hue and saturation etc.

I've had good success with sunsets using the cloudy white balance with negative green and hue -4 in the custom image settings.

Regards,
--Anders.
01-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I want quick and dirty JPGs I use RAW+. Takes up more disc space and takes a bit longer to write, but if the JPG fails to meet expectations, I can always go to the raw image.
01-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Same here. I just shoot Raw+
Colors are nice. Is that a default setting ? If not...Then what was your setting ?

01-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used the " bright "setting but tweaked it a bit. Set contrast to neutral and saturation to +1, and sharpness to +2. That's it. Let the K3 choose the white balance and it's nailing the colors just about dead on. Couldn't be happier.