Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-3 bundle at Camera Box Store or Adorama?

I have been selling off excess gear and other belongings and I find myself with some disposable cash. At first I wanted to add a WA prime or an 08 lens for my Q. Both seem nice and I'd probably enjoy either very much but neither really tugged at me as hard as I thought they would. I posted a thread about a slow focusing FA 43mm and it seems that is due to the K-30's maximum focusing speed and AF locking capabilities. Perhaps an upgrade to a K-3 would improve my overall AF experience with my FA Limiteds. I am contemplating making the jump even though my K-30 is still young. It only has 27k shutter cycles and I've had it for a little less than 2 years.

I understand I missed all the Christmas deals but I used that time to upgrade my lenses instead. A new unnamed model was presented at CES and CP+ may hold more surprises. Prices may jump around a bit still but window shopping is usually free. I came across a package that includes a DA 50mm, a FluCard, and a bag on eBay from a seller called The Camera Box.

Pentax K 3 DSLR APS C Digital Camera 15330 Pentax SMC Da 50mm F 1 8 Lens 22177 | eBay

They have their own website at The Camera Box - For the best deals on Cameras, video camera and small electronics and seem to be an online-only business. Some business review sites say they sell grey market import models. Their website says they are an authorized dealer but searching for their store by ZIP code on Ricoh's Pentax site did not bring them up. All reviews of this store are generally positive.

What's the forum's take on this place?

Alternatively, Adorama has a kit for about the same but give a battery grip instead of a lens.

Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body Bundle with 50 f1.8 Lens and Battery Grip 15530 KB

Of course, this place is legit. Assuming both packages are wholesome and valid, I think I would value a FluCard and a lens more than a battery grip. It could be that I'm spoiled with my K-30. I charge up my lithium battery and carry plenty of spare Eneloops to be used in a AA adapter. My K-30 can last all day long like this.

Pondering, pondering, pondering...

01-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Ive never heard of them ?
Cant really add much but I really don't blame you for wanting a lens and FluCard over the grip.
I got a grip and now realize it was just wasted $$$ for me.
Remember...a lot of us went for the Holliday deals because the prices were irresistible and made up for the Canadian warranty. But If I had to do it without those smoking deals....would go with B&H or Adorama and get all the extended warranty and USA market products. Either store will stand very solid behind you for future problems , exchanges , etc.
I doubt you will get that with this.." The Camera Box place" that I personally never heard of until today !
01-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I've wondered about this place also. I'd say they're probably legit given the "Pentax Authorized Reseller" plastered on the listing. That'd take a lot of brass to falsify that the way they've shown it. There is contact info. If it's legit then hte limited 1-year warranty should be a Pentax warranty. Contact them and ask them to send you details of hte warranty. If it's the store's own warranty I'd probably avoid it and go with Adorama.
01-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
I've wondered about this place also. I'd say they're probably legit given the "Pentax Authorized Reseller" plastered on the listing. That'd take a lot of brass to falsify that the way they've shown it. There is contact info. If it's legit then hte limited 1-year warranty should be a Pentax warranty. Contact them and ask them to send you details of hte warranty. If it's the store's own warranty I'd probably avoid it and go with Adorama.
+1 on checking the warranty no matter who you buy from. The Ebay deal looks so-so to me. ASK...BEFORE you buy.
Agreed...If not a USA warranty and "Their" warranty instead....PASS !

01-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Speaking for myself, I would go with a well known dealer such as you mentioned; Adorama, or B&H. If you are questioning the e-bay seller, that's a red flag right there. You can always sell the grip and put the money towards something else. Buy where you feel comfortable, and know that things will be handled if something is wrong.

Last edited by csa; 01-21-2015 at 10:42 AM.
01-21-2015, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also remember to call B&H and Adorama and confirm pricing - it's not always what's listed on the website....
01-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My K-3 came from CameraBox. I havent checked on my warranty but I think i did find them on the ricoh site as being an authorized dealer.
01-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I understand I missed all the Christmas deals but I used that time to upgrade my lenses instead. A new unnamed model was presented at CES and CP+ may hold more surprises. Prices may jump around a bit still but window shopping is usually free. I came across a package that includes a DA 50mm, a FluCard, and a bag on eBay from a seller called The Camera Box.

Pentax K 3 DSLR APS C Digital Camera 15330 Pentax SMC Da 50mm F 1 8 Lens 22177 | eBay

They have their own website at The Camera Box - For the best deals on Cameras, video camera and small electronics and seem to be an online-only business. Some business review sites say they sell grey market import models. Their website says they are an authorized dealer but searching for their store by ZIP code on Ricoh's Pentax site did not bring them up. All reviews of this store are generally positive.

Alternatively, Adorama has a kit for about the same but give a battery grip instead of a lens.

Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body Bundle with 50 f1.8 Lens and Battery Grip 15530 KB

Of course, this place is legit. Assuming both packages are wholesome and valid, I think I would value a FluCard and a lens more than a battery grip. It could be that I'm spoiled with my K-30. I charge up my lithium battery and carry plenty of spare Eneloops to be used in a AA adapter. My K-30 can last all day long like this.

I don't know how much speed you'd gain but it looks like a good deal - At Adorama - I followed your link and it has a battery grip AND a 50/1.8, and a 4% reward ($36 to use later). You either missed it or they changed the deal after your post. I would value the grip more thatn the flu card and bag.

---------- Post added 01-21-15 at 01:12 PM ----------

FYI: The Camera Box is an authorized retailer, listed twice as Goldex Limited, dba as the Camera Box and just as The Camera Box, both in digital imaging and sport optics

01-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I don't know how much speed you'd gain but it looks like a good deal - At Adorama - I followed your link and it has a battery grip AND a 50/1.8, and a 4% reward ($36 to use later). You either missed it or they changed the deal after your post. I would value the grip more thatn the flu card and bag.
Totally right! I made a typo. It was early morning when I posted and I probably wasn't fully caffeinated.

Adorama gives a lens and a battery grip.

The Camera Box Store gives a lens, a FluCard, and a bag.

I found a list on Ricoh's site of authorized retailers. Sure enough, The Camera Box is present on page 5.

Then I checked out the feedback rating on The Camera Box Store. Check out the first one listed.

eBay Feedback Profile for thecamerabox

Yikes! I understand that these are homemade bundles and that everyone makes mistakes. But ...
01-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Can't help you with the shops. But my thinking on grip vs Flucard: If you shoot with big lenses or a big on-camera flash then the grip makes a lot of sense. Also if you shoot for longer periods in portrait. If not, well, I'd probably go for the card.

(I do have the grip, haven't really used it but it definitely helps the balance when I mount the Metz. I don't have the FluCard but imagine it would be great for macro.)
01-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Can't help you with the shops. But my thinking on grip vs Flucard: If you shoot with big lenses or a big on-camera flash then the grip makes a lot of sense. Also if you shoot for longer periods in portrait. If not, well, I'd probably go for the card.

(I do have the grip, haven't really used it but it definitely helps the balance when I mount the Metz. I don't have the FluCard but imagine it would be great for macro.)
I haven't had or used either. A lot of people like the grips, I would probably not use it much either. Not sure about a flucard, I wonder what the working range is? I haven't felt a need for either.
01-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have been selling off excess gear and other belongings and I find myself with some disposable cash. At first I wanted to add a WA prime or an 08 lens for my Q. Both seem nice and I'd probably enjoy either very much but neither really tugged at me as hard as I thought they would. I posted a thread about a slow focusing FA 43mm and it seems that is due to the K-30's maximum focusing speed and AF locking capabilities. Perhaps an upgrade to a K-3 would improve my overall AF experience with my FA Limiteds. I am contemplating making the jump even though my K-30 is still young. It only has 27k shutter cycles and I've had it for a little less than 2 years.

The full list of authorized Pentax dealers can be found on the US Ricoh imaging web site. I've never heard of this place so I'd double check first.

You can always sell the grip on the marketplace for around $150 and use that toward a lens, BTW People outside of the US would still see that price as a good deal.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #13
Imp
Pentaxian

The grip, monetarily, is worth as much as the lens right now, actually a bit more.

And do you need the 50mm f/1.8? A M 50 f/1.7 is better, and i'm sure you have a decent 50mm lens.

Another option: IF and only IF you know that the sale on the lens is going to finish (right now B&H the lens is $100+ off) then you could get the lens package and sell the lens later... dunno.

I would buy from Adorama just to be safe. Then I can also buy the camera warranty extension at the same time.
01-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a comment here....I've bought a lot of merchandise over the past few years at both B&H and Adorama and every transaction was perfect, and the service, when needed, was excellent from both. I would hardly consider anyone else for my purchases, given their superb record. Even saving a few dollars would not sway me elsewhere.
When you get great service, you should reward the merchant for it...and I do!
Regards!
01-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Actually....their feedback on Ebay looks quite good !
3400 feedback in the last year......and only 18 unhappy customers that left bad feedback.
I would buy from them if NEEDED and the warranty was USA.....with a Credit Card ONLY so I was protected all the way around in case there was any unforeseen shenanigans.