Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Initial impression of a new K3 owner...wow..but...

Preface this by saying I have had the k3 less than a week and havent had much time to play with it.Seeing on how we are snow bound at home right now due to a storm Ive had time to sit down and start going thru the manual,functions and playing around with some images.

I'm coming at this from a history of Pz1p film to k20d to here with the K3.

Technologically...alls I can say is WOW. The K3 is amazing,and Im just at the surface at this point.Its got everything I need in a camera and abunch that I didnt think I needed but as I sit here playing with them,I can see the potentional uses for me. No regrets with buying it.

So what don't I like About it? Honestly not much,except the Grip. Its too "thin" for my hand.It seems to put Alot of stress on my lower 3 fingers. Also related to the grip design is the space between the grip and the body is too tight.My fingernails rub up against the body alot and I have them cut short...cant imagine anyone with long nails not rubbing up against the body...and eventually marking it up.

I know I am being a little biased here as both the old pz1p film and the k20d grips really felt perfect to me.

Probably get used to the k3 grip in no time.But just wanted to share my first impression. Thrilled with the camera,kind of luke warm to cold on the grip at this point.

Any one else not to keen on the grip?

Al

01-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
I started with a k-x, then k-5, then k-3 so for me the k-3 grip (same as k-5) is much nicer than the k-x. You get used to it. My only gripe is I wish the body were about a 1/4" taller so my pinky had room on the grip. Instead it has to curl under the body.

You might try out adding a battery grip, I do not use one but it might work for you to get a little more room for fingers.
01-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got over it

I loved the size and handling of K-10 and K-20, and like you felt uncomfortable with the K-7-5-3 series. The cameras just felt too small in my big hands. However, I have added grips, and now I am completely accustomed to using them, and the K-20 feels unnecessarily large when I use it. I think it is just a matter of getting used to the different size. Hope it works that way for you too.
01-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I loved the size and handling of K-10 and K-20, and like you felt uncomfortable with the K-7-5-3 series. The cameras just felt too small in my big hands. However, I have added grips, and now I am completely accustomed to using them, and the K-20 feels unnecessarily large when I use it. I think it is just a matter of getting used to the different size. Hope it works that way for you too.

+1 coming from a K200D.

You'll get over it

01-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm with Jatrax - started with the K-x which was a bit small for my hands. I love the K-5 & K-3 setups and the depth of the grip is fine for me (a little deeper would be nice). The optional battery grip makes all the difference for me, without them the camera feels too small.
01-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I have large hands, but slender fingers and preferred the grip on my K10D over that on the K-3. OTOH (same hand actually), I like the K-3 over the K-7 and K-5. I guess that is one good reason to actually handle a camera before purchase. If you want a real comparison pick up a D7100 or a Sony A7. I believe you will prefer the K-3 over either of those.

Steve
01-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have the grip as well since it was part of the package I bought... Haven't used a battery grip before, so I'll give that a try and see if helps make the camera a bit more comfortable to hold.

Thanks again,
al
01-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have the grip as well since it was part of the package I bought... Haven't used a battery grip before, so I'll give that a try and see if helps make the camera a bit more comfortable to hold.

Thanks again,
al
Let us know but I didn't buy one right away with my K-5 and when I did it made all the difference for me. Good luck.

01-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I started with a k-x, then k-5, then k-3 so for me the k-3 grip (same as k-5) is much nicer than the k-x.
After the K-x, I "moved on" to a K-5, K-01, and K-50,
but the K-x is the only one that I can work with one hand.

Since I'm well satisfied with those 16 MP Exmor sensors right now,
I'm ready to sit and wait for FF, and/or BSI technology on APS-C.
01-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Preface this by saying I have had the k3 less than a week and havent had much time to play with it.Seeing on how we are snow bound at home right now due to a storm Ive had time to sit down and start going thru the manual,functions and playing around with some images.

Technologically...alls I can say is WOW. The K3 is amazing,and Im just at the surface at this point.Its got everything I need in a camera and abunch that I didnt think I needed but as I sit here playing with them,I can see the potentional uses for me. No regrets with buying it.

So what don't I like About it? Honestly not much,except the Grip. Its too "thin" for my hand.It seems to put Alot of stress on my lower 3 fingers. Also related to the grip design is the space between the grip and the body is too tight.My fingernails rub up against the body alot and I have them cut short...cant imagine anyone with long nails not rubbing up against the body...and eventually marking it up.

I know I am being a little biased here as both the old pz1p film and the k20d grips really felt perfect to me.

Probably get used to the k3 grip in no time.But just wanted to share my first impression. Thrilled with the camera,kind of luke warm to cold on the grip at this point.

Al
Sounds like it would be worth it for you to get the BG5 grip and a spare battery (or AA's). I find the K-3 is just fine for smaller lenses like the limited primes, but with a larger lens like DA 17 - 70 or DA* 200 mm and larger, the BG 5 grip really helps. It gives a lot more to hold on to and none of your fingers will not fit on the grip. Not to mention an obvious advantages of going out shooting and having two batteries on board.
01-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Sounds like it would be worth it for you to get the BG5 grip and a spare battery (or AA's). I find the K-3 is just fine for smaller lenses like the limited primes, but with a larger lens like DA 17 - 70 or DA* 200 mm and larger, the BG 5 grip really helps. It gives a lot more to hold on to and none of your fingers will not fit on the grip. Not to mention an obvious advantages of going out shooting and having two batteries on board.
Portrait mode too is very nice. The extra SD card in the battery compartment has saved me a couple times too.
01-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Al
Al, I went from an MX (great handling, though slightly small in my hands) to the PZ-1p which had just about perfect ergonomics for me with the auxiliary hand grip attached (although no additional functions on that grip). When I went digital, I used a K10D for a couple of years then added its battery grip. To this day it seems a little small without the BG and I appreciate the additional functions, battery life, and storage provided by its battery grip.

So when I stepped up to the K-3, I jumped on a deal that included the BG. I have used the camera mostly with the BG in place. In fact, during a recent vacation trip, I left the BG home, and quite frankly the camera did not seem as well balanced as with the BG, especially when using a telephoto zoom. The camera feels somewhat naked, although I find the contour and size of the camera grip better than the one on the K10D. So give it some time, and see if you can try the BG with it. You might find that to be a better fit.
01-30-2015, 04:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Its been a few days now of using the k3 with the grip.It adds some weight and takes a little getting used to But it definetly feels more comfortable in my hands.I have a feeling the grip will be on all the time. I may pickup a grip for my backup k20d just to shoot both similarly.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Al
01-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Its been a few days now of using the k3 with the grip.It adds some weight and takes a little getting used to But it definetly feels more comfortable in my hands.I have a feeling the grip will be on all the time. I may pickup a grip for my backup k20d just to shoot both similarly.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Al
Glad you like it. Makes all the difference in the world for me.
01-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have large hands, but slender fingers and preferred the grip on my K10D over that on the K-3. OTOH (same hand actually), I like the K-3 over the K-7 and K-5. I guess that is one good reason to actually handle a camera before purchase. If you want a real comparison pick up a D7100 or a Sony A7. I believe you will prefer the K-3 over either of those.

Steve
I felt the same way. I had the K10d, which seemed perfect. I went to a K-5, and the grip was what I hated from the beginning. I added the battery grip, and that solved most problems. With the K-3, I tried it without the added grip that came with the camera, and I haven't added the grip yet. Apparently, the K-3 is different enough to be comfortable. I actually prefer using the smaller system without the added attachment. I'm keeping it because there were times when the grip was useful for other instance (shooting portrait shots), but I'm trying to get into street photography, and a smaller camera is less intimidating to people.