Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
I fail to see this as a bug, after all, the K5 doesn't even have an AF2 option like the K3, that is BB AF only.
The K-5 will do back button focus only, i.e. you can turn off half press shutter AF. You can also set it to be off only for live view AF, which is what I do.

The bit about CIF in the post I linked to above on the Ricoh forum where the poster said he liked to use the BB to turn CIF on and off at will with manual lenses made sense to me.

In all of these scenarios, having focus priority & CIF work with the back button sounds at least potentially useful, and there seems to be nothing gained by taking it away...

01-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #17

If I am understanding the OP correctly sorry but I don't see this as a problem.
If I am wanting to CIF, using Focus Priority, in AF.S I personally want it to work in conjunction with the shutter release button, seems the obvious, and easiest, way to me. Why use more buttons when one will do.
I can set it up on one of the user positions, instantly selectable. No problem.

Last edited by Stumpy; 01-28-2015 at 03:28 PM.
01-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The K-5 will do back button focus only, i.e. you can turn off half press shutter AF. You can also set it to be off only for live view AF, which is what I do.

The bit about CIF in the post I linked to above on the Ricoh forum where the poster said he liked to use the BB to turn CIF on and off at will with manual lenses made sense to me.

In all of these scenarios, having focus priority & CIF work with the back button sounds at least potentially useful, and there seems to be nothing gained by taking it away...
Exactly. No biggie for me, but it is a tad annoying that they have removed a function that was there and that worked well. Setting up CIF in a user mode is less convenient.
01-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stumpy Quote
If I am understanding the OP correctly sorry but I don't see this as a problem.
If I am using CIF I personally want it to work in conjunction with the shutter release button, seems the obvious, and easiest, way to me. Why use more buttons when one will do.
I can set it up on one of the user positions, instantly selectable. No problem.
Who said anything about CIF. In AFS you have 2 options, release priority and focus priority. Under focus priority it says "shutter cannot be released when the subject is not in focus". Most everyone on here agrees with me that it certainly can and does fire when out of focus so I do not see how you do not see that this is an option that isn't working properly. On my K5II it works EXACTLY as it states and will not fire until subject is in focus and will never fire if no focus is achieved. Seems pretty cut and dry to me

01-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jayman_1975 Quote
I do not see how you do not see that this is an option that isn't working properly.
If it does not work the same as the K-5IIs, that may be because they are not the same camera. I suggest that you learn to live with it. If you want AF-S with focus priority, use the shutter release. That is what it is there for. If you want BBAF use the back button to acquire focus and the shutter button to make the exposure. That is the intended usage.

The AF button is not intended as an alternative shutter release and I can't see the logic of wanting use use it as such, regardless of how many children are running around the room.*

Steve

* Why active children are the rational for so many rants on this site is beyond me.
01-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #21

Who said anything about CIF. In AFS you have 2 options, release priority and focus priority.
Sorry, I left out the Focus Priority part in my post above and have edited it accordingly.

Why can you not just use AF.S with Focus Priority as Pentax want you to with the shutter release button?

As I said, why complicate things using two buttons when I can do what you seem to want to with one.

Just because something used to be doesn't mean it always has/will be.

I find it humourous how people get so upset because Pentax, Ford, Samsung etc. happen to change things ; when it is all documented in the manual.
01-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, I left out the Focus Priority part in my post above and have edited it accordingly.

Why can you not just use AF.S with Focus Priority as Pentax want you to with the shutter release button?

As I said, why complicate things using two buttons when I can do what you seem to want to with one.

Just because something used to be doesn't mean it always has/will be.

I find it humourous how people get so upset because Pentax, Ford, Samsung etc. happen to change things ; when it is all documented in the manual.
Well I guess can use it with the shutter release button if I want focus priority but it was just nice to be abow to have it work the way it did on the K5ii. I do like using BB focusing instead of half press shutter button focus. I think most people prefer it.

Anyways....I'll go back to taking pics instead of grumbling. Cheers
01-28-2015, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
when it is all documented in the manual.
Manuals aren't for reading they are for leveling furniture and weighing down camera bags! Much more fun to wing it!

04-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If it does not work the same as the K-5IIs, that may be because they are not the same camera. I suggest that you learn to live with it. If you want AF-S with focus priority, use the shutter release. That is what it is there for. If you want BBAF use the back button to acquire focus and the shutter button to make the exposure. That is the intended usage.

The AF button is not intended as an alternative shutter release and I can't see the logic of wanting use use it as such, regardless of how many children are running around the room.*

Steve

* Why active children are the rational for so many rants on this site is beyond me.
This has nothing to do with 'being upset because someone changed something' - it has everything to do with 'what the begeebuz is The AF button for with this setup' when the way it worked on all previous Pentax (and other) cameras is exactly what it is meant for - I have used it constantly on my K7 for example for exactly the way it is asking to be used in this post - On K7 I hold it and the shutter and shutter will not fire until focus is locked but then I can release AF and keep firing without camera refocusing... Ok K3, since this is not the case, what exactly is the back button AF for!?! I loved it on my previous pentax cameras because it functioned exactly according to how I set the menu options - now on the K3 it completely ignores the menu options if I disconnect it from the shutter release - so, again, what is the button for if it it constantly overridden by the shutter release with the only option being that the camera completely ignores focus when releasing the shutter!?! And here's a question - are all the folks complaining about 'poor focus' on the K3 using it like I (and apparenlty others) want to with the back button AF - because we've all been using that method on other Pentax (and other) cameras for years???
04-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #25

Most of the time I too am awaiting focus confirmation but like I said earlier when there are a house full of kids running around and I'm trying to catch candid shots I usually press BB AF and shutter together and then the camera will fire as soon as it has focus. I don't get too many out of focus shots this way but with the K3 it will fire at will which pretty much negates the focus priority option for AFS
Exactly! Why would they have BB Focus in the K3 suddenly ignore focus priority?
04-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good to see I wasn't the only one ticked about this oversight on pentax's part.

I fixed the problem though, I bought a k5IIs and leave the k3 at home
04-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjpino Quote
Exactly! Why would they have BB Focus in the K3 suddenly ignore focus priority?
Perhaps because it is not that important to many users? To tell you the truth, I do believe that the previous behavior started out life as a benign bug in code that eventually was fixed because it caused problems somewhere else.

Steve
04-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #28

Perhaps because it is not that important to many users? To tell you the truth, I do believe that the previous behavior started out life as a benign bug in code that eventually was fixed because it caused problems somewhere else.

Steve
So if that is the case then what exactly is the rear AF button for? It is an irrelevant button if so many people don't want it to actually be useful (tied to accomplishing in-focus photos) - so based on your explanation I fail to see why is it there. If everyone is just supposed to use the shutter release then why have the BB Focus? And has anyone told all the millions of users of previous Pentax cameras as well as Nikon, Canon, etc that swear by BB focus? This is not something that is 'not that important to many users' - and I am still convinced it could be a significant factor in why so many people are reporting blurry photos from the K3 (and why so many people say they take rapid fire and usually get one in focus - because they assume BB is working and it is not so they catch one right at time of focus by accident)... I love my Pentax cameras, but I fail to see why a button designated for 'focus' of any sort would not adhere to the focus priority rules set within the camera - that doesn't make any sense.

---------- Post added 04-04-15 at 01:35 AM ----------

Steve
Okay - maybe I am misunderstanding your post... Are you saying that a 'bug in the code' caused previous Pentax cameras to fire the shutter at the exact moment focus was achieved when using the button labeled AF? So that 'bug in the code' now being fixed has resolved the 'problem' of amazingly well focused photos when shooting moving targets by 'fixing' the AF button to no longer cause it to communicate focus lock with the shutter release?
04-04-2015, 06:28 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To me it's gettting to be more and more of a pain in the neck because I really like using the back button focus 75% of the time and for these shots the focus priority "release only when in focus" doesn't really matter cause I'm shooting a still subject. For the other 25% of the time when I want the shutter to wait for focus before firing, I have to go into the menu and switch from AF 2 to AF 1 and then focus with the shutter button. Which really isn't that big of a deal, but going back and forth to switch it gets old.
04-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #30
Site Supporter

I have to go into the menu and switch from AF 2 to AF 1 and then focus with the shutter button. Which really isn't that big of a deal, but going back and forth to switch it gets old.
Can that be set in a user mode?