Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

Pentax K3 User Modes...Not Remembering

I've been playing around with a K3 before deciding whether to keep with a view to replacing my K5

I'm very puzzled by the behaviour of the 3 user modes (U1, U2 & U3).

When a setting is saved in a U mode, I've noticed that altering that setting whist in that U mode causes the setting to remain changed even if the mode dial is moved to another position & than back again to that U mode. The setting only reverts to its saved mode when the camera is switched off & on. An example would make this a lot clearer:

1) I set the file format to RAW for U1 & save
2) Whilst in U1, I change the file format to JPEG for some shots
3) I move the mode dial to another position (say Av)
4) I return the mode dial to U1

The file format setting in U1 still says JPEG (ie the camera has not 'remembered' it should be RAW). Only by switching the camera off then on again does U1 reset to RAW

The K5 does not behave like this.

To me it defeats the object of having USER modes if it doesn't remember settings until switched off & on

A second thing I noticed is that, in the manual (P73), metering modes are not listed as savable..yet they are saved (in the same manner as above)

Has anyone else noticed this ..or am I doing something wrong?

01-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Unregistered User

To me it actually sounds like the way I want it. If I alter the User mode while keeping the camera on I want to remember the last settings. It is the same if you change the exposure comp to +1 and, as I, have the camera set to forget the exposure comp if camera is turned off but it remembers after power save as long as I do not turn it off. Therefor I know that everytime I turn on the camera all settings are "default" and I can shoot instantly knowing there is no exposure comp or 2s delay or whatever but if I keep it on I want it to remember these settings.

Long answer but in short I prefer this behaviour.
01-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sdgreen Quote
The K5 does not behave like this.
I guess that might be because it is not a K-5. Sorry, but I could not resist.

This behavior is noted in the user manual and while it does not make sense in some ways, it does make sense in others. In fact, it makes huge sense to me. I am thinking of the case where you need to tweak and are moving between two commonly used saved modes. The on/off is a little clumsy, but is intuitive enough, IMHO.

As for metering modes, my copy of the manual lists AE metering as a saved setting.

BTW...I will not comment on the ethics of buying with the intent to evaluate.

Steve
01-31-2015, 01:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
So that is normal (& I assume there's no way of changing that)..it would be good if it gave the option of whether to remember. Really like this camera apart from that. I also have a Nikon D7000 & it keeps settings.

Only one other thing I don't like about Pentax bodies is that the bracketing function is in the drive mode menu so it's not possible to select mirror up with auto bracketing.

There's plenty I DO like about the K3. In general I prefer Pentax bodies & Nikon lenses. There's no such thing as a perfect camera system. For me this has tipped the balance back towards a higher grade Nikon.

01-31-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I also have a Nikon D7000 & it keeps settings.
I thought that was your issue...that the K-3 did not forget?

Only one other thing I don't like about Pentax bodies is that the bracketing function is in the drive mode menu so it's not possible to select mirror up with auto bracketing.
That would be a nice feature. Enjoy your next Nikon.

Steve
01-31-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A separate mirror-up button has been a much requested feature for Pentax digital cameras so you are not alone in that regard.
02-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #7

you can do 2sec self-timer with bracketing, and self-timer implements mirror lockup as well as disables SR, so everything in one package

but that menu is overloaded, I agree.

02-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #8

Original Poster
I didn't realise the self timer option left the mirror up during bracketing. Sounds good. I'll try it out. Another method I found out on a forum is to switch on live view before taking the shots. The mirror stays up for the duration of brackets.

Obviously there are ways round these things. Am swinging back to Pentax from Nikon....

There are pros & cons with all camera systems. I love the build quality of Pentax bodies (& some Pentax lenses)....& the optical quality & range of most Nikon lenses. l think my solution is to have both systems & use them in different scenarios!
02-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elektrolitr Quote
you can do 2sec self-timer with bracketing, and self-timer implements mirror lockup as well as disables SR
Except that the mirror does not stay up for other than the first exposure.

Steve
02-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Except that the mirror does not stay up for other than the first exposure.

Steve
Just want to be clear what you're saying here : Bracketing with self timer the mirror flips up & down for each exposure?

That's a shame..it would have been a useful method

With the live view on method the mirror definitely stays up - I've watched it to make sure!
02-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Bracketing with self timer the mirror flips up & down for each exposure?
Yes, each exposure except the first one.

Steve
02-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The user mode behavior can be useful. I regularly shut off and on the body to reset to user mode settings, and regularly switch between modes. A certain circumstances may demand some adjustment to a user mode setting, and I know that adjustment remains till I cycle the power switch.
02-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #13

Just want to be clear what you're saying here : Bracketing with self timer the mirror flips up & down for each exposure?

That's a shame..it would have been a useful method

With the live view on method the mirror definitely stays up - I've watched it to make sure!
I've just tried and found that K-3 does flip mirror between exposures, but...

It locks up mirror for 2 sec before EACH shot. So it's completely useful setting, doing so just takes a bit of time (2 sec per shot)
02-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elektrolitr Quote
I've just tried and found that K-3 does flip mirror between exposures, but...

It locks up mirror for 2 sec before EACH shot. So it's completely useful setting, doing so just takes a bit of time (2 sec per shot)
...or simply bracket using live view. The mirror stays up for the entire sequence.

Steve