Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2015, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #31
Forum Member

Another vote for Op/Tech.

I've got an Op/Tech strap (current version would be the Pro strap). I bought it in 1993 or 1994, when I got my SF1n for a trek in the Himalyas. Extremely comfortable, and it worked as well on my K5 and, now, my K3 as it did back in the day on my SF1n. It's got some ground in trail dust, but otherwise the strap is as good as new, 20 years plus later. Under $1/year cost for this.

02-11-2015, 04:41 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Well i use this one and it's perfect for me, because i don't need to think about the weight during walking around, and if you are in busy streets, dangerous environments and so on, just keep your gear behind you and it won't be in the way.

THE "PRO II" - SUN-SNIPER Englisch

my recommendation
02-11-2015, 05:44 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zamke14 Quote
Well i use this one and it's perfect for me, because i don't need to think about the weight during walking around, and if you are in busy streets, dangerous environments and so on, just keep your gear behind you and it won't be in the way.

THE "PRO II" - SUN-SNIPER Englisch

my recommendation
I loved the video of the fat guy in the plaid shirt showing off the sun sniper strap. Too funny

unfortunately the reviews of this strap on Amazon.com are horrible. Several people destroyed their cameras because of the poorly engineered metal swivel that attaches the camera to the strap
02-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Without a doubt a sling strap

I would definitely recommend some kind of sling-strap. I've been using a Black Rapid Sport for about a year and and a half, and I could not imagine going back to a regular "around the neck" strap. It is comfortable for long walks, gives you quick access to the camera and has the add-on feature of a Manfrotto 200pl quick release plate.
I've also tested a few Chinese copies from eBay that are almost as good. I have found that regardless of brand you should have an under-arm strap that locks it in position when you move the camera around.

02-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
I'm fed up enough with original Pentax K-3 strap, too short, too thin
As a road cyclist, I can say that owners' preferences vary so widely that manufacturers frequently provide a seat knowing it is likely to be thrown away, and don't bother supplying pedals!

I use both a Blackrapid sling and a Joby wriststrap (which expands into a shoulder strap at the push of a button).
02-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #36
Pentaxian

The sling straps look pretty good. But if you use a tripod and consequently camera quick release plate, it complicates the situation a little.
02-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
As a road cyclist, I can say that owners' preferences vary so widely that manufacturers frequently provide a seat knowing it is likely to be thrown away, and don't bother supplying pedals!
Ha! Ha! Ha! I have a box full of discarded bike seats!

Steve
02-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha! Ha! I have a box full of discarded bike seats!

Steve

Oh, are you a rider yourself or just a very eclectic collector of things, Steve?

02-11-2015, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
The sling straps look pretty good. But if you use a tripod and consequently camera quick release plate, it complicates the situation a little.
Not if you attach the Op/Tech like this:

The strap is removable so just unclip it when you use the tripod. I just leave the strap over my shoulder and when done with the tripod just clip the camera back on. The tripod plate is a Markins PG-32 with the lug on the side. The A/S plate is square so you can mount it any way you want.

And another bonus, the two clip ends on the camera go together giving you a simple hand strap. Not the most comfortable but comes in very handy as a solid 'grab' point on the camera. Especially nice if you are wearing gloves.
02-12-2015, 01:09 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not if you attach the Op/Tech like this:

The strap is removable so just unclip it when you use the tripod. I just leave the strap over my shoulder and when done with the tripod just clip the camera back on. The tripod plate is a Markins PG-32 with the lug on the side. The A/S plate is square so you can mount it any way you want.

And another bonus, the two clip ends on the camera go together giving you a simple hand strap. Not the most comfortable but comes in very handy as a solid 'grab' point on the camera. Especially nice if you are wearing gloves.
Nice! Is this plate Arca-compatible?
02-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #41
Pentaxian

As others have illustrated, the Op-Tech system does not attach with a proprietary plate (which I dislike). With my K-3, I have clips on both lugs of the camera, but most of the time I simply clip one. When using my most heavy lens (60-250), I use an arca-swiss plate with a drilled hole in which a clip is attached. this one, plus another on he camera, gives me good anchor.

The only problem I have is that I've found no arca-swiss plates as thin as the one that came with my Sirui tripod.
02-12-2015, 07:06 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Nice! Is this plate Arca-compatible?
Yes it is Arca-Swiss compatible. I use this plate because it has an anti-turn lip on the back so that it will not move around on the camera. And of course it has the lug which allows the Op/Tech to attach. I use a tripod a lot, and wanted a system that did not interfere with that. I see a lot of 'pros' brag they never use a strap. Which makes sense because they use the tripod a lot and the strap interferes. Even you use a simple strap on the camera lugs the strap will either blow around causing vibrations or worse get caught on your clothes as you move and pull the tripod over.

This system solves all those issues.
02-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #43
Site Supporter

JOBY Pro Sling Strap for Professional DSLRs

Plus the Ultra Plate for quick tripod mounts.

Works flawlessly, great system.

Cheers,

RM-
02-12-2015, 10:46 PM   #44
Forum Member

I use the Blackrapid Curve which looks like its works that same as the Joby. This setup works great with the 3LT tripod mount plate which can stay on the camera 100% and just clip/unclip the strap carabiner as required..

QuoteOriginally posted by RainMan Quote
JOBY Pro Sling Strap for Professional DSLRs

Plus the Ultra Plate for quick tripod mounts.

Works flawlessly, great system.

Cheers,

RM-
02-13-2015, 03:59 AM   #45
Site Supporter

I use a Kata Reflex E neck strap. I also have the Peak Design Clutch and Sling.