Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2015, 04:51 AM   #1

Which camera strap for K-3 ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm fed up enough with original Pentax K-3 strap, too short, too thin K10d strap was a lot more comfortable (besides its length).
There is RRS L-Bracket attached to my K-3 body (no BG-5 grip) so there are two spare 1/4'' mounts in the L-Plate itself, but I feel I prefer strap which attaches to the camera body strap fixings (which means I prefer strap fixed on the top of the camera rather than on the bottom or on the side of L-Bracket).
What is your best experience with replacement straps?
Years ago I was using Domke for Canon camera straps, with convenient swivels, but I feel they might be to thin for K-3 with DA* 50-135/2.8

02-10-2015, 05:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Only strap I use these days is the Leicatime leather / suede 15mm. Strong, comfortable and good looking. Smells nice too
See Leicatime Stap Image
I order mine with a Pentax green lining and Pentax embossing on the shoulder pad. All very discrete, all very nice.
02-10-2015, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been using some Couch camera straps since Christmas and they might fit your needs. Wider than a "normal" strap, and very long, too.

https://www.couchguitarstraps.com/camera-straps.html

Although my favorite is this vintage bad boy I picked up on Ebay for $8.99. ;-)

EMBLAZONED with PENTAX, and black velvet on the back. It's the best!
02-10-2015, 07:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have swore off regular camera straps. Three times they have snagged on something and went flying or got yanked because of it. Now its nothing other than an inexpensive hand /grip strap on one side from Ebay.
The last time I had my K30 on the coffee table and went to walk past the couch....foot got stuck in the strap and "crashed" to the floor. Time before that got caught on a bus handrail and ripped my brand spanking new K3 from my hand/shoulder and smacked into the steps....NO more regular straps for me....!

02-10-2015, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I had been using an eBay neoprene strap (3$) for a year, and it's fine. However, this Christmas I received an Op/Tech kit and I'm in love. The "pro" strap itself, with sling attachments, short extensions when I want to turn the strap into a regular neck strap, backpack attachments (magical) and reversing clips to carry the camera on my left side.

Perfection.
02-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
I'm fed up enough with original Pentax K-3 strap, too short, too thin K10d strap was a lot more comfortable (besides its length).
There is RRS L-Bracket attached to my K-3 body (no BG-5 grip) so there are two spare 1/4'' mounts in the L-Plate itself, but I feel I prefer strap which attaches to the camera body strap fixings (which means I prefer strap fixed on the top of the camera rather than on the bottom or on the side of L-Bracket).
What is your best experience with replacement straps?
Years ago I was using Domke for Canon camera straps, with convenient swivels, but I feel they might be to thin for K-3 with DA* 50-135/2.8
I have a strap from Matin. It is a wide, black, neoprene strap with quick release buckles and the red Pentax name printed on it, e.g.,

Matin Deluxe Neoprene Joint Neck Strap Pentax Curved FOR DSLR SLR | eBay

I haven't had it for long, but it seems to be sturdy and durable.
02-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the Optech Pro Strap 3/8" neck strap. Don't get the "loop" model.

02-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use the 1.5" Domke "Gripper". The strap is cotton webbing (breathes!), has great grip, and is plenty long for my 6' 2" frame. I actually bought a case of both the 1" and 1.5" versions and have them on most of my cameras.

Steve
02-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a big fan of sling straps. I'm using one which attaches via a tripod mount lug, but there are some which attach via the side lugs. I find a sling strap more secure and more comfortable.
02-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used OpTech straps on all my cameras for years. They are extremely comfortable and durable. Best thing? They are made in the USA, in Bozeman, Montana! The one I use is the Pro Strap; love it!!

OP/TECH USA - Straps

I also use this for my heavy long lenses. Attaches/detaches in seconds, and gives great support to lens.

http://optechusa.com/system-connectors/lens-support-adaptor.html
02-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #11

Op/Tech for me. The heavy duty clips make it easy to switch beween the sling or hand strap. I can, and have, carry all day with no fatigue or soreness.
02-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have converted to OpTech Pro modular strap system. I put the short connectors on the cameras, then swap the neck straps between them. The neoprene neck-pad is very comfortable. The straps come in different lengths and extenders are available. It is nice to have all the cameras on the shelf without each one having a strap to wrangle.
02-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #13

Another vote for Optech. Good value, adaptable, comfortable. I prefer the sling but the system is pretty modular and customizable. I can use it as a straight neck strap when I choose.
02-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for the Op/Tech sling strap. And I love being able to change out the shoulder part of the strap without taking anything off the camera. Camo today, blue tomorrow, black one for formal
02-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonobo Quote
Another vote for Optech. Good value, adaptable, comfortable. I prefer the sling but the system is pretty modular and customizable. I can use it as a straight neck strap when I choose.
Yah, me too!