Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I have 2 kids in high school

Is it wrong of me to want to pass my K5 down to my children?

Problem is neither of my kids likes photography......

Is it wrong of me to plan for a bigger family?

What do you do with the K5 that did nothing but faithfully serve you when the K3 took your breath away?

02-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep it as a backup
Or if you see it as I sometimes do, sell it to someone on here to continue enjoying as you did instead of it sitting and collecting dust.
02-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep it, who knows if?
-maybe you will travel to a country where you'd rather risk the old K-5 rather than the dear K-3
-maybe you will take a vacation to shoot in a rainforest where it doesn't make sense to change lenses in the humid damp and want to have a wide WR on one body with your telephoto WR available on the other body
-maybe you will get into shooting weddings or events where a backup/second body are required
-maybe your kids HS sports will get your wife motivated to take up photography
-maybe...

Fortunately for me I have a grand daughter and a niece who are both into photography so they benefit from my equipment upgrades.
02-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
sell it to someone on here to continue enjoying as you did
That's what I did with my Kr (to a forum member) but for some reason the K-5 is not as easy to let go.

---------- Post added 02-10-15 at 11:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
-maybe you will travel to a country where you'd rather risk the old K-5 rather than the dear K-3

I am going home to the UK in March

---------- Post added 02-10-15 at 11:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
-maybe you will get into shooting weddings or events where a backup/second body are required
The idea of going to weddings and events now calls for a second body, but what does that have to do with photography

02-10-2015, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
That's what I did with my Kr (to a forum member) but for some reason the K-5 is not as easy to let go.

---------- Post added 02-10-15 at 11:34 PM ----------

I am going home to the UK in March

---------- Post added 02-10-15 at 11:36 PM ----------

The idea of going to weddings and events now calls for a second body, but what does that have to do with photography
I am planning on getting another small camera bag, and putting my K10 and 16-45 F4 lens in my car. I'll always have a camera, and living in North Ontario, never know when a moose, eagle, owl, raven or whatever will show up.
02-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do you do with the K5 that did nothing but faithfully serve you when the K3 took your breath away?
I have two high schoolers too. My daughter used a Pentax Super Program for the last year of the school's film-based curriculum. Then when digital happened she used my K 20D for a while, but disliked it. I then bought her a Canon SL1 that she has enjoyed using ever since. We have a great time shooting together. My kids are not me.

M
02-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you are happy with your K-3 then I'd sell your K-5 while it's still worth something.

02-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

my condolences. They'll realise what terrible people they were in high school, and spend the next few years apologising about it. God knows i still am

I'd say keep it. It's nice to have a backup body, and, who knows, maybe one of them will want a 'fancy camera' to impress their friends on a class trip, or maybe they genuinely will develop an interest in photography.
02-10-2015, 11:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sell the K5 and get a 2nd K3.
02-10-2015, 11:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Another option: Convert it to full spectrum or infrared or UV and open up a whole new way of looking at the world. Pentax Infrared Conversion Service | Kolari Vision Infrared
02-10-2015, 11:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

They might change their mind. I really got into photography in college, and now I take some 20,000 shots a year. We are talking landscapes, not sports or timelapses.
At the time I would have loved to have a camera of a K-5 class, even a few years outdated. I would just keep it around for yourself and if they yearn for a camera, you can give them a K-5.
02-11-2015, 12:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

My younger son (aged 20) is currently on a 10-day holiday touring around Tasmania with his girlfriend. I lent him my K5+18-55+55-300 for the trip. He was delighted. Spent a day learning to use it before hand. For the right occasion, your kids may find an interest too.
02-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Another option: Convert it to full spectrum or infrared or UV and open up a whole new way of looking at the world. Pentax Infrared Conversion Service | Kolari Vision Infrared
That's what I think I'll do with my K5 when I upgrade. I'm interested in UV to see what the bees see!
02-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The K5 is hardly worth anything these days (I see them selling now for less than 300 here in the forums...) so you might as well keep it for now. If something goes wrong with the K-3 and you have to send it in for service, you'll have another camera to play with in the meantime. So, keep it as a 2nd body. Also, take it to places where you wouldn't want to take the more expensive camera (e.g. the beach, hikes, canoeing, etc).

I have two bodies for similar reasons, and more: I use the K20D for more serious shooting (I still think the IQ is great at low ISO), and the K-r goes to places where I or my wife will have it around the neck for a long time. K-r + Plastic Fantastic 35 2.4 = featherweight so trading the K-5 for something like a K-S1 would also make sense - if this idea of a small light camera plus a light prime appeals to you.
02-11-2015, 08:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Convert it to full spectrum or infrared or UV
I like this idea. (Any idea why they disable the dust reduction????)
I think keeping it is the best option, like ChristianRock pointed out, there is no resale value.
Who knows, my kids may take it for a spin if its there for them.