Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The other interesting camera for you would be the Samsung NX500; good video, small body, APSC, and reasonably priced lenses albeit limited options.
The Samsung NX lens catalog is actually larger than the Fujifilm XF catalog, contrary to public perception.

There's a few standout Samsung lenses such as the unique 16-50 f/2-2.8.

Regards,
--Anders.

02-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I think the cooler white balance on the Pentax makes it look that way, but is it really brighter? I normalized both by selecting a white balance based on the inside of the 'D' of the lens in the photo. Then looking at crops and histograms:

I'll agree that there is some noise reduction happening on the Fuji (these were both shot raw, by the way).
Except if you look at the overall picture, the Fuji is simply darker even if you warm up K5's image, no? The picture on DA15 might look very close but you can tell in the other areas. Maybe it would be more obvious shooting a gray card or something. I haven't really done the test myself but I do feel that in general I need to boost the EV from the Fuji a little in post to be closer to my K5/K3 files.
02-18-2015, 05:53 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote

I'll agree that there is some noise reduction happening on the Fuji (these were both shot raw, by the way).
Add some noise reduction to the Pentax files, lose some detail and some noise, you'll be back to par. Your initial statements of a noise advantage for Fuji do not hold up.
02-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Thanks so much for your thoughts. Your comments about getting good results in LR may kill my Fuji thoughts, as that would drive me nuts. I use LR and photoshop as my workflow and am not dying to add a completely new program into the mix.
As a LR user primarily since version 3, it does appear that Adobe has resorted to milking the entire PS/LR structure with only marginal improvements in several years. The X-trans situation is inexcusable. All the major converter brands had trouble with it originally, but excellent profiles emerged within weeks or months. Reportedly, Adobe has indicated that they can't (won't?) nail it. I'm back to Capture One v. 8 (for Pentax), using LR only for IR conversion from a Samsung compact. IQ from C1 is significantly better with much more complex micro-sharpening capabilities, better masking options, higher color accuracy, and far-quicker workflow. Other major converter programs have also surpassed LR.

I think the Fuji camera is a real contender, and would fit your general shooting profile. The lens system is highly rated. However, you're right that the Fuji would be far off its potential if you're limited to LR for conversion. I understand the cataloguing concern because the LR system essentially locks you into it. However, I had to escape it when my Pentax files provided significantly better results in C1 - with a much quicker workflow.