Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 09:22 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K3 Warranty Repair, Precision Camera

Since there has not been much positive reported on Precision Camera, I thought I would report my experience,
My K3 (purchased late Jan 2014, B&H) had a problem in the shutter, the flash (built-in or shoe mount) was not consistently synching above about 1/30-sec. You would get half exposed frames randomly. I rarely use flash, and have several other bodies I can use flash with if needed, I seriously considered living with it, as I had not seen any other symptom in the shutter.
I packed it up and sent it off in Mid-Jan 2015, and just got it back today.
The receipt indicates:
  • Complete Repair, Return all Functions to Factory Specs
  • Autofocus Test, Recalibration and Realignment
  • Firmware download
  • Complete Cleaning (Internal/External)
Parts Used:
  • Main Circuit
  • Top Cover Assembly
  • Flash Circuit

It appears I essentially have a new camera, at least the insides,
I had to spend about 1/2-hour going through the menus and making settings the way I like them, (where is that @#$% Beep!) Still need to get my User Modes set back up.

The flash appears to be working as it should,

It was all done under warranty, they never contacted me directly, I could see it moving through their system checking on-line (Daily!). I even filled in their box to get e-mails when there was activity on my repair, the only e-mail I got was when I filled out the on-line form to start the process.
It was almost exactly 1-month from the time it left my hands to getting it back, about 1-week of that to get it back through all the snow in the East coast to our Puget Sound winter soup (UPS Ground).

Initial impression is good, despite all the trials and tribulations others have reported, Would have preferred more information from their end, updates, acknowledgement it was a covered warranty repair, etc.
Will test it out thoroughly before I declare this over, but for now, it looks good.

Has anyone else seen problems with flash synch & the K3? I have not seen any threads on it.

02-11-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad the repair worked out for you. I have not had any issues with flash on my K-3.
02-12-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my repair experience with Precision is also (so far) good. I think they had initial "teething problems" that appear to have been worked out. I would not shy away from sending my gear there after my recent positive experience. Very glad for it as I am used to having NPS (Nikon Professional) service.

YMMV

Michael
06-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by kkgiyer Quote
I would like to share my experience with Pentax/RICOH and Precision.
Thanks for sharing, however it would probably be better to post a link to this post rather than pasting the exact same post in 2-3 other threads.