Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
if they can sign come kind of closed licensing deal with Adobe that will be fine too
From all appearances, Adobe is not interested in providing widespread tether support in Lightroom. The various makers that offer tethered operation (I can think of seven or eight right off) might offer any number of incentives, but it unlikely that Adobe will bite. Adobe does not have the reputation of partnering unless product purchase is part of the deal.

FWIW, tethering from LR is really not that great. Functionality is limited to viewing the camera settings and releasing the shutter along with download/auto-import. No, Lightroom does not support monitor feed from the camera, nor does it provide access to the camera's controls. For that you need a true tethering solution. Lightroom tethering is both blind and (mostly) one-way.

Martin Evening, in The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book strongly suggests using the manufacturer's tether utility along with Lightroom's auto-import feature in preference over the LR tether feature. To that end he provides detailed instructions on how to do so with the Canon 1Ds Mark III. That same approach may be used with the Pentax FLU card or the Pentax Image Transmitter 2 software.

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/peachpit/peachpit/lightroom...thered_EOS.pdf

I hope this helps put things in perspective.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-17-2015 at 09:38 AM.
02-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Martin Evening, in The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book
I found Evening's comments on tethering pretty interesting and pertinent.

QuoteQuote:
...What you have to bear in mind here is that providing reverse communication for each unique camera interface has proven a lot harder than simply enabling download communication with the currently supported cameras. Multiply this work by the number of cameras that are supported by Camera Raw and you'll get some idea of the scale of the problem...

Steve
02-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It doesn't sound like Imaging Transfer software provided by Ricoh does that much more than what Flu card does, except it's through the wire. I bet they are using same protocols to communicate with the camera. The engineering work is at least half way done. Other manufactures' camera software may do more but it doesn't sound like Ricoh's does, granted, I don't have access to use it first hand to confirm. LR is used by millions of people, I don't get the whole others aren't doing it right so who cares.

Last edited by ruggiex; 02-16-2015 at 09:17 PM.
02-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #19
Site Supporter

It doesn't sound like Imaging Transfer software provided by Ricoh does that much more than what Flu card does, except it's through the wire. I bet they are using same protocols to communicate with the camera. The engineering work is at least half way done. Other manufactures' camera software may do more but it doesn't sound like Ricoh's does, granted, I don't have access to use it first hand to confirm. LR is used by millions of people, I don't get the whole others aren't doing it right so who cares.
You are correct regarding the FLU card and Imaging Transfer. They are essentially similar except that Imaging Transfer allows saving direct to disc on a real computer through a fast connection. I don't quite follow what you are saying regarding the engineering work being at least half done. What are you wanting to do?

It would be possible to make a third-party tether solution (already been done for older models), but that does not directly benefit LR users. It might also be possible to plead with Adobe to support Pentax cameras and even provide an open API to make it easy, but why? Did you read my comment regarding the LR tether support? It is incredibly limited and not really worth using. All it is capable of doing is to trigger the shutter and manage download/auto-import for the supported cameras. In short, there is NO advantage over the manufacture's software for cameras that support tethering. (LR already supports auto-import from a monitored directory.) There is no real reason to lobby Adobe to expand its support to other brands/models. Its tether support is a lame feature.

Steve

02-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #20
Pentaxian

We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.

I see it as opportunity to have more exposure by collaborate with Adobe to improve tethering which is also good PR. Where as the way you see it is that tethering is lame in LR so just don't even bother to use it. Otoh, maybe Ricoh is too vested in doing things their way to care. Or maybe it's just Japanese company being Japanese company. (I have worked with them on several projects and it is difficult to make them open up and collaborate more openly.) However, if there was an open API, then Adobe or whoever cares may be able to add it to their software. Or if Adobe ever expands their LR SDK capability, anyone can write a plugin to do it.

That's the power of having an open source community doing things that in turn gives more exposure to the brand. Considering that Pentax is a small player, the relative cost to maintain an open API and let people who care to create cool softwares for it probably is less of a hassle than trying to collaborate with Adobe. For instance, I would like to have a native Android app to communicate with Flu card but I really don't have time to reverse engineer the protocol or the javascript that is used in the browser.

Last edited by ruggiex; 02-17-2015 at 10:51 AM.
02-17-2015, 05:58 PM   #21
Site Supporter

I see it as opportunity to have more exposure by collaborate with Adobe to improve tethering which is also good PR. Where as the way you see it is that tethering is lame in LR so just don't even bother to use it.
Ok, I get it! Ricoh is supposed to:
  • Provide a tethering API
  • Convince Adobe to support it
  • Convince Adobe to improve their tethering feature and/or extend their plugin API to allow third party tether integration so that LR tethering works as well as Ricoh's own product
All this so that users can tether via Lightroom vs. the software that Ricoh sells. I totally get it. Brilliant! I can see incredible ROI for all parties!

Steve
02-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Not all bullet points are required. There are many possibilities. I suppose if, as a consumer, you prefer to have to pay for the half ass'd software, prefer having no choices, and can't see the power of having an open platform then there's not much value.
02-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #23
Site Supporter

I suppose if, as a consumer, you prefer to have to pay for the half ass'd software, prefer having no choices, and can't see the power of having an open platform then there's not much value.
I make my living with open source software. Horses for courses, I typically say, and open source is not always a good solution nor a general panacea. 'Nuff said there, at least by me.

As for the Ricoh/Pentax tethering solution being "half-assed", is that based on a hands-on evaluation? If you have used it, is it half-assed as compared to LR tethering with Canon or is it half-assessed compared to some other product? Please expand...or perhaps not.

I have voiced my opinions and provided a practical workflow applicable to LR. In the future, if I need to tether, I will likely include the appropriate software as part of the general cost of supporting this type of workflow. LR tether support, if offered for Pentax with the current functionality, would not cut it. The same would be true should I switch to Canon, Nikon, or Leica.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-22-2015 at 05:59 PM.
02-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I make my living with open source software. Horses for courses, I typically say and open source is not always a good solution nor a general panacea. 'Nuff said there, at least my me.

As for the Ricoh/Pentax tethering solution being "half-assed", is that based on a hands-on evaluation? If you have used it, is it half-assed as compared to LR tethering with Canon or is it half-assessed compared to some other product? Please expand...or perhaps not.

I have voiced my opinions and provided a practical workflow applicable to LR. In the future, if I need to tether, I will likely include the appropriate software as part of the general cost of supporting this type of workflow. LR tether support, if offered for Pentax with the current functionality, would not cut it. The same would be true should I switch to Canon, Nikon, or Leica.
I think the difference maybe that you are okay with an existing workflow and existing work around. Sure it works but why can't it work better? Just because Cannikon are just as bad? Maybe LR was a bad example at the moment but who knows if they are going to expand the SDK in the future.

Ricoh doesn't need to follow Canon/Nikon footsteps; there's no rule saying they can't do their own thing. Tesla opened up all their patents in order to increase adaptation and that was incredible in terms of PR; they weren't following someone else's trail. Open source may not be a good solution for everything but there are plenty examples of it benefiting more than anyone could have imagined. I have my own love and hate relationship with open source so there's no need to cherry pick my comments and portrait me as a blind, open source lover. In reality, they don't really have to open source it, just provide a SDK would go a long way.

Last edited by ruggiex; 02-17-2015 at 10:22 PM.
02-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #25
Site Supporter

just provide a SDK would go a long way.
Agreed.

Steve
02-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Too bad they did not give any more information about this. It would be nice to know when this might be available. I don't use Lightroom, so I don't care about that option.
09-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #27
Forum Member

Why always for Windows.

I would like to have this tethering Software available for the Apple OS X. Any idea, or are all the user here windows based :-(
09-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #28
Pentaxian

If cable tethering for the K-3 is anything like the wireless tethering offered through the FLUcard, it'll be run through a web browser, which gets around the dreary Windows/OS X partisanship, not to mention the similarly-pointless Android/iOS divide.
09-15-2015, 02:33 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
Why always for Windows.

I would like to have this tethering Software available for the Apple OS X. Any idea, or are all the user here windows based :-(
I don't see WHY it should be Windows only... All the Pentax software are available for OS X. And many photographers are using an apple computer...

But I start to doubt about the tethering option... Sadly